Videos show St. Paul police shooting man who officials say pointed gun at officers

posted in: All news | 0

Videos released by St. Paul police Wednesday show a driver running from a stolen vehicle and turning toward officers with what prosecutors say was a loaded gun.

Two officers fired their duty weapons and injured the man in the leg.

Elliot Samuels Vaughn, 32, of Minneapolis, was treated at the hospital after the Dec. 21 incident and is now jailed. The Ramsey County Attorney’s Office charged him with first-degree assault, saying he attempted to use deadly force against two St. Paul officers by pointing the gun at them.

The police department released excerpts from a squad camera and the officers’ body-worn cameras on Wednesday, which has been the St. Paul department’s practice in recent years in instances when officers shoot someone.

“We are committed to releasing BWC (body-worn camera) and other video as soon as possible, while ensuring we don’t negatively affect the independent investigation or those impacted,” Police Chief Axel Henry said in a statement. “Thanks to our community and the BCA (Bureau of Criminal Apprehension) for supporting this process so we can provide the transparency and accountability we always strive for.”

The squad video shows officers driving after the stolen vehicle on the ramp to westbound Interstate 94 from U.S. 52.

After a rental car company found a Buick Envista had been stolen from its parking garage in Minneapolis, General Motors was able to electronically track the Buick and notified officers it was being driven in St. Paul. GM remotely slowed and stopped the Buick at 3:18 p.m.

Seconds after the driver opened the vehicle door and started running, with the squad following, the driver turned toward the squad with an object in his hand.

Officer Byron Treangen III, who was in the squad’s passenger seat, fired through the windshield, his body-camera video shows. The driver, officer Matthew Foy, stepped out of the squad and started shooting. Multiple shots were fired by police.

Vaughn fell down on the road. He was treated at a hospital for the gunshot wound to his leg.

The BCA is investigating the officers’ use of force.

In addition to assault, Vaughn is charged with motor vehicle theft. His attorney had no comment Wednesday on the charges against him.

A 37-year-old woman from Blaine, who was said to be the passenger who ran from the vehicle, was charged with drug possession.

Related Articles


Year after kids rescued from Vadnais Heights fire, mother charged with child endangerment


Grand Marais grocery co-op worker charged with stabbing customer


Chisago City man charged with fatal Christmas Day assault of hospital security guard


Dakota County woman shot on Christmas Eve was mom of 2 young kids


Court releases transcript from closed hearing for man accused of killing Charlie Kirk

Trump vilifies Kennedy family hours after Tatiana Schlossberg’s death

posted in: All news | 0

No sooner had John F. Kennedy’s granddaughter died of leukemia at age 35, than President Trump got busy dusting off previous social media posts to cast shade at her bereaved family.

Though he didn’t mention the late Tatiana Schlossberg by name or reference her death, Trump harvested screenshots of his supporters’ posts belittling the famous family after his newly handpicked board of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts voted to tack the president’s name onto the venue.

The Kennedy family announced Schlossberg’s death on Tuesday from a rare form of leukemia with the simple message, “Our beautiful Tatiana passed away this morning. She will always be in our hearts.”

Tatiana Schlossberg, the daughter of Caroline Kennedy and Edwin Schlossberg, addresses an audience during the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award ceremony, at the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston, Oct. 29, 2023. (AP Photo/Steven Senne, File)

Schlossberg had written poignantly about her diagnosis and treatment in The New Yorker in November, a powerful account of a year-long journey that paralleled her cousin Robert Kennedy Jr.’s attack on the nation’s public health system as Secretary of Health and Human Services.

As condolences poured in, Trump, reportedly miffed at the raft of performance cancellations in the wake of the board’s Dec. 18 name change, pulled supporters’ social media posts out of mothballs and onto Truth Social. He re-upped such gems as, “The Kennedy Family have LONG neglected the Kennedy Center, btw. They don’t raise money for it. They never show up. And the only Kennedy who has been there recently is a member of Trump’s cabinet,” and, “The Trumps have always been supporters of the arts. The Kennedys are supporters of the Kennedys.”

New signage, The Donald J. Trump and The John F. Kennedy Memorial Center For The Performing Arts, is unveiled on the Kennedy Center, Friday, Dec. 19, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

The Kennedys themselves were especially vocal during the public backlash against the institution’s name change, given that Congress had dedicated it as a living memorial to JFK after the president’s 1963 assassination.

CNN’s Jake Tapper and others led the excoriation charge against Trump’s posts.

“In the early afternoon, ET, the Kennedy family announced that JFK’s granddaughter Tatiana Schlossberg had died from cancer,” the anchor wrote on X. “A few hours later, President Trump re-posted some social media garbage attacking the Kennedy family.”

Barely a month earlier, Trump had blamed movie director Rob Reiner for his own murder.

“On a day when the Kennedy family is grappling with an unimaginable personal loss, Donald Trump chose to use his platform to launch petty, vindictive attacks against them,” Meidas Touch wrote on X. “Yet another stunning display of cruelty and utter lack of basic human decency.”

With News Wire Services

Chief Justice says Constitution remains ‘firm and unshaken’ with major Supreme Court rulings ahead

posted in: All news | 0

By LINDSAY WHITEHURST

WASHINGTON (AP) — Chief Justice John Roberts said Wednesday that the Constitution remains a sturdy pillar for the country, a message that comes after a tumultuous year in the nation’s judicial system with pivotal Supreme Court decisions on the horizon.

Related Articles


US imposes sanctions on 4 Venezuelan oil firms and 4 more tankers in Maduro crackdown


Farmers can now learn how much aid they will get from the Trump administration


US military strikes three more alleged drug boats, killing 3 and possibly leaving survivors


Trump administration terminates lease for Washington’s 3 public golf courses


Capitol riot ‘does not happen’ without Trump, Jack Smith told Congress

Roberts said the nation’s founding documents remain “firm and unshaken,” a reference to a century-old quote from President Calvin Coolidge. “True then; true now,” Roberts wrote in his annual letter to the judiciary.

The letter comes after a year in which legal scholars and Democrats raised fears of a possible constitutional crisis as Republican President Donald Trump’s supporters pushed back against rulings that slowed his far-reaching conservative agenda.

Roberts weighed in at one point in March, issuing a rare rebuke after Trump called for the impeachment of a judge who had ruled against him in a case over the deportation of Venezuelan migrants accused of being gang members.

The chief justice’s Wednesday letter was largely focused on the nation’s history, including an early 19th-century case establishing the principle that Congress shouldn’t remove judges over contentious rulings.

He also called on judges to “continue to decide the cases before us according to our oath, doing equal right to the poor and to the rich, and performing all of our duties faithfully and impartially under the Constitution and laws of the United States.”

While the Trump administration faced pushback in the lower courts, it has scored a series of some two dozen wins on the Supreme Court’s emergency docket. The court’s conservative majority has allowed Trump to move ahead for now with banning transgender people from the military, clawing back billions of dollars of congressionally approved federal spending, moving aggressively on immigration and firing the Senate-confirmed leaders of independent federal agencies.

The court also handed Trump a few defeats over the last year, including in his push to deploy the National Guard to U.S. cities.

Other pivotal issues are ahead for the high court in 2026, including arguments over Trump’s push to end birthright citizenship and a ruling on whether he can unilaterally impose tariffs on hundreds of countries.

Roberts’ letter contained few references to those issues. It opened with a history of the seminal 1776 pamphlet “Common Sense,” written by Thomas Paine, a “recent immigrant to Britain’s North American colonies,” and closed with Coolidge’s encouragement to “turn for solace” to the Constitution and Declaration of Independence “amid all the welter of partisan politics.”

Gophers cornerback Za’Quan Bryan to enter transfer portal

posted in: All news | 0

Gophers starting cornerback Za’Quan Bryan plans to enter the transfer portal when it opens Friday, a source confirmed the Pioneer Press on Wednesday. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

The redshirt sophomore from Savanah, Ga., started 10 games and had 36 total tackles in 2025. He missed the Rate Bowl with a shoulder injury and finished his U career with 25 total games played.

Bryan played 514 total snaps last season, with an average Pro Football Focus overall grade (60.3) and slightly-above-average coverage mark (63.5).

The Gophers have had 14 total players share intent to enter the portal, and Bryan is one of the biggest contributors in that group.

Related Articles


Gophers won’t retain special teams coach Bob Ligashesky


How Gophers football plans to attack transfer portal next week


Gophers expected to hire Stanford assistant Bobby April as rush ends coach


While other programs tampered, Anthony Smith announces his return to Gophers for 2026


Gophers score walk-off win in Rate Bowl, 20-17 over New Mexico