Corporation for Public Broadcasting votes itself out of existence

posted in: All news | 0

By DAVID BAUDER, Associated Press

Leaders of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, a private agency that has steered federal funding to PBS, NPR and hundreds of public television and radio stations across the country, voted Monday to dissolve the organization that was created in 1967.

CPB had been winding down since Congress acted last summer to defund its operations at the encouragement of President Donald Trump. Its board of directors chose Monday to shutter CPB completely instead of keeping it in existence as a shell.

“CPB’s final act would be to protect the integrity of the public media system and the democratic values by dissolving, rather than allowing the organization to remain defunded and vulnerable to additional attacks,” said Patricia Harrison, the organization’s president and CEO.

Related Articles


US drops the number of vaccines it recommends for every child


After judge’s ruling, HHS authorized to resume sharing some Medicaid data with deportation officers


US allies and adversaries use UN meeting to blast Venezuela intervention as America defends action


LA residents are still battling toxic hazards a year after historic wildfires


Are Americans’ household debt levels a major concern for the economy?

Many Republicans have long accused public broadcasting, particularly its news programming, of being biased toward liberals but it wasn’t until the second Trump administration —- with full GOP control of Congress — that those criticisms were turned into action.

Ruby Calvert, head of CPB’s board of directors, said the federal defunding of public media has been devastating.

“Even at this moment, I am convinced that public media will survive, and that a new Congress will address public media’s role in our country because it is critical to our children’s education, our history, culture and democracy to do so,” Calvert said.

CPB said it was financially supporting the American Archive of Public Broadcasting in its effort to preserve historic content, and is working with the University of Maryland to maintain its own records.

Tim Walz’s decision not to seek 3rd term may end lengthy MN political career

posted in: All news | 0

Gov. Tim Walz ended his bid for a third term as Minnesota governor Monday — seeming to cap a political career that sent the former teacher and National Guard veteran all the way to national stage when he was named Kamala Harris’ running mate in 2024.

U.S. Rep. Tim Walz speaks to reporters after filing campaign finance paperwork for his 2018 gubernatorial campaign on Monday, March 27, 2017. Walz’ daughter Hope and wife Gwen look on. (David Montgomery / Pioneer Press)

That year he joined Hubert Humphrey and Walter Mondale as Minnesotans to be on a national ticket.

Walz, a Democrat, got involved in politics during the 2004 John Kerry presidential campaign. He was first elected to Congress in 2006, defeating incumbent U.S. Rep. Gil Gutknecht, a Republican, in Minnesota’s 1st District. The largely rural district covers much of the southern portion of the state and is seen as fairly conservative.

While in Congress Walz was on the Agriculture, Armed Services and Veteran Affairs committees.

In 2017, Walz announced he was running for governor. He was elected the next year, defeating GOP candidate Jeff Johnson. He and running mate Peggy Flanagan at the time chalked up their victory to their theme of “One Minnesota,” a relatively centrist message that they would seek common ground across the state. Walz won re-election in 2022 defeating Dr. Scott Jensen.

A hunter, Walz was something of a moderate and even had the endorsement of the NRA early in his career. However, after becoming governor he would sign a number of gun-control bills.

Pandemic, riots

Lt. Gov. Peggy Flanagan, left, laughs after Gov. Tim Walz requested a “Hello Kitty” bandage after receiving an updated COVID-19 booster shot during a news event in the Governor’s Reception Room at the State Capitol building in St. Paul on Friday, Sept. 16, 2022. (John Autey / Pioneer Press)

During the pandemic in 2020 Walz ordered all nonessential workers to stay at home and called for the closure of schools and banned large public gatherings. During the pandemic he directed hundreds of millions of dollars in state and federal relief funds to local governments, food shelves and food banks.

Also in 2020 George Floyd was killed by a Minneapolis police officer sparking riots in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Walz activated the National Guard in response though critics said it should have happened sooner.

In an interview with the Pioneer Press months afterward, he noted the challenges of that time.

“I’m not going to make the case that every decision we made was correct, but I can assure people that we made it with the best data at the time, with the best interests of Minnesota at heart,” Walz said.

2023 Legislature, 2024 campaign

Democratic presidential nominee Vice President Kamala Harris and her running mate, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, left, speak at a campaign rally in Philadelphia, Tuesday, Aug. 6, 2024. (AP Photo/Joe Lamberti)

The 2023 Legislature — under DFL control — passed a $72 billion budget that Walz and DFLers called the “One Minnesota” budget.

It included bills to create $1.5 billion in new child tax credits, boost funding for education by $2.2 billion and provide free public college tuition to people from families earning $80,000 or less each year. It also provided free meals to Minnesota students regardless of income.

GOP critics point to billions in new taxes in the budget despite the state’s historic $17.5 billion budget surplus. And, they disputed Walz’s “One Minnesota” characterization, saying the bills had minimal input from the minority — which represents districts containing just under half of the state’s population.

Walz was named as Harris’ running mate in 2024 after President Joe Biden dropped out of the race. He didn’t hesitate to paint his political opponents in a negative light.

“These are weird people on the other side. They want to take books away. They want to be in your exam room,” Walz said in a TV interview during the campaign.

While Harris seemed to think Walz would help shore up her campaign in the Midwest, the ticket went on to lose to Donald Trump and JD Vance. Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania — once part of the so-called “Blue Wall” — went for the Republican ticket.

New fraud cases

News of fraud in state-run Medicaid programs has garnered significant attention in recent months, but before that came the $250 million Feeding Our Future scandal.

Related Articles


Gov. Tim Walz’s statement on why he’s not running for third term


Amy Klobuchar may run for Minnesota governor, sources say


Gov. Walz ends reelection campaign amid pressure on fraud; Klobuchar considers run


Nearly 12,000 apply for Minnesota’s paid leave program in first days


Kaohly Her sworn in as St. Paul mayor

In that case, the now 78 defendants have been accused of claiming reimbursement from the state education department for meals they never served in a federal pandemic children’s food program. More than 50 have been convicted.

At a news conference last month announcing charges against six individuals who authorities say defrauded the state of millions in various schemes, Assistant U.S. Attorney Joe Thompson said he believed “a significant amount” of the $18 billion paid out by 14 “high-risk” Medicaid-funded programs since 2018 was lost to fraud — possibly half or more.

The governor has made efforts to address the fraud. Last year, he directed the creation of a fraud investigation unit at the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

Related Articles


Gov. Tim Walz’s statement on why he’s not running for third term


Amy Klobuchar may run for Minnesota governor, sources say


Gov. Walz ends reelection campaign amid pressure on fraud; Klobuchar considers run


Nearly 12,000 apply for Minnesota’s paid leave program in first days


Kaohly Her sworn in as St. Paul mayor

And, the Department of Human Services moved to shut down a Medicaid-funded housing stabilization program beset by fraud after news emerged in July of a federal investigation into several providers. Walz also recently named Tim O’Malley, former superintendent of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension under Gov. Tim Pawlenty, to serve as director of program integrity, essentially fraud-prevention czar.

But the moves haven’t stemmed the criticism, particularly from the GOP, that he reacted too late and hasn’t done enough on the issue.

US drops the number of vaccines it recommends for every child

posted in: All news | 0

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. took the unprecedented step Monday of dropping the number of vaccines it recommends for every child — leaving other immunizations, such as flu shots, open to families to choose but without clear guidance.

Related Articles


After judge’s ruling, HHS authorized to resume sharing some Medicaid data with deportation officers


US allies and adversaries use UN meeting to blast Venezuela intervention as America defends action


LA residents are still battling toxic hazards a year after historic wildfires


Are Americans’ household debt levels a major concern for the economy?


Flu season surged in the US over the holiday and already rivals last winter’s harsh epidemic

Officials said the overhaul to the federal vaccine schedule won’t result in any families losing access or insurance coverage for vaccines, but medical experts slammed the move, saying it could lead to reduced uptake of important vaccinations and increase disease.

The change came after President Donald Trump in December asked the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to review how peer nations approach vaccine recommendations and consider revising the U.S. schedule to align with their guidance.

This is a developing story; check back for updates.

NYC Housing Calendar, Jan. 5-12

posted in: All news | 0

City Limits rounds up the latest housing and land use-related events, public hearings and affordable housing lotteries that are ending soon.

An apartment building on Third Ave. in East Harlem. (Adi Talwar/City Limits)

Welcome to City Limits’ NYC Housing Calendar, a weekly feature where we round up the latest housing and land use-related events and hearings, as well as affordable housing lotteries that are ending soon.

Know of an event we should include in next week’s calendar? Email us.

Upcoming housing and land use-related events:

Tuesday, Jan. 6 at 9:30 a.m.: The Landmarks Preservation Commission will meet. More here.

Tuesday, Jan. 6 from 6 to 8 p.m.: The New York State Department of Transportation will hold an open house and public information session on its plans to replace or rehabilitate five bridges along the Cross Bronx Expressway. The event will take place at Bronx River Art Center at 1087 E Tremont Ave. More here.

Wednesday, Jan. 7 at 10 a.m.: The City Planning Commission will vote on the following land use applications: Seaside Park & Community Arts Center Special Permit, 33-01 11th Street Rezoning, 87 Romer Road and 507 Howard Avenue. More here.

Thursday, Jan. 8 at 6:30 p.m.: The Met Council on Housing will host an online workshop about New York City renters’ rights, and how tenants can organize for improvements. More here.

NYC Affordable Housing Lotteries: The New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) are closing lotteries on the following subsidized buildings over the next week.

52 4th Avenue Apartments, Brooklyn, for households earning between $39,189 – $189,540 (last day to apply is 1/5)

1119 Boston Road Apartments, Bronx, for households earning between $75,635 – $140,000 (last day to apply is 1/5)

2043 Webster Avenue Apartments, Bronx, for households earning between $102,858 – $227,500 (last day to apply is 1/5)

Inkwell, Bronx, for households earning between $74,195 – $227,500 (last day to apply is 1/7)

1591 Jesup Avenue Apartments, Bronx, for households earning between $90,720 – $227,500 (last day to apply is 1/8)

233 East 202nd Street Apartments, Bronx, for households earning between $76,423 – $140,000 (last day to apply is 1/9)

The post NYC Housing Calendar, Jan. 5-12 appeared first on City Limits.