Men’s basketball: As roster dwindled, Gophers connected

posted in: All news | 0

The Gophers men’s basketball team didn’t have a lot to be thankful for around Thanksgiving.

Over that holiday, Minnesota lost its second and third straight games at the AcriSure Series in Palm Desert, Calif., and the U didn’t have much of a pulse in the latter game, falling 86-75 to Santa Clara on Nov. 28.

Minnesota Golden Gophers guard Langston Reynolds, middle, passes the ball while Iowa Hawkeyes guard Kael Combs (11) and guard Isaia Howard (23) defend during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Bailey Hillesheim)

In the previous week, the U had lost starting point guard Chansey Willis Jr., to a season-ending foot injury and starting center Robert Vaihola had played his last game this year because of a knee injury.

“I think we were still a little rattled by some of the injuries,” head coach Niko Medved recalled Tuesday. “… All of sudden, you knew right away the team was going to look a lot different than even we had planned back in the fall.”

With a weaker nonconference schedule, the Gophers were mired at 4-4 overall going into December.

Since then, the shorthanded Gophers have declined excuses and won six of seven games, including a 70-67 victory over No. 19 Iowa at Williams Arena on Tuesday. Minnesota now sits at 10-5 overall and 3-1 to start Big Ten play.

“You are either going to embrace it or you are just going to give in,” Medved said, “and we’re not going to give in.”

Guard Langston Reynolds was one of 13 new players on Medved’s first roster at Minnesota. With Willis’ injury, the Northern Colorado transfer moved from a sixth-man role into the starting lineup. He had a game-high 22 points against the Hawkeyes.

“Obviously, we had a lot of guys go down at random times, which (is) terrible. It’s horrible,” Reynolds said. “But just sticking with it, that was the biggest thing. Not splitting off. A lot of teams would split off and say, ‘I’m going to get mine.’ But it wasn’t like that. We thought we had to play for those guys and play for each other. That’s what we can do.”

The Gophers are also without backup forward BJ Omot (leg) and reserve guard Chance Stephens (illness), shrinking their bench even more. That pair of transfers haven’t played all season, leaving the U to rely on a seven-man rotation.

The Gophers started the New Year with an 84-78 win at Northwestern on Saturday. Reynolds, Cade Tyson and Isaac Asuma each played all 40 minutes in the win.

“I’ve never seen that in a college game — at least not one I’ve been a part of,” said Medved, who has been coaching for 29 years, 13 as a head coach.

Reynolds and Asuma each played more than 36 minutes against the Hawkeyes, with two freshman, Grayson Grove and Kai Shinholster, logging more than 15 apiece.

“The other thing when you have injuries like that, it creates clarity now,” Medved said. “The decision tree is gone. These are the seven guys in the rotation. We’ve got to find a way to make it work.”

The Gophers have been able to find success for a few reasons.

Simply, they haven’t backed down when things get dicey. They showed toughness in battling back from a seven-point deficit in the second half against the Wildcats, then weathered a late 20-5 run against the Hawkeyes.

Forward Jaylen Crocker-Johnson, who followed Medved as a transfer from Colorado State, has been a leader also logging big minutes. He hit a clutch 3-pointer to stave off Iowa with a minute to go.

Minnesota guard Isaac Asuma drives on Iowa’s Kael Combs in a Big Ten basketball game Tuesday, January 6, 2026, at Williams Arena in Minneapolis. (Brad Rempel / Gophers Athletics)

“In the past, teams go up seven or eight, we would kind of lose ourselves,” Crocker-Johnson said Monday. “We are definitely making a lot of jumps recently. I would say, just staying calm, staying together.”

Medved’s offense prides itself on constant cutting, screens and sharing the ball at a high rate. Coming into Tuesday, the U led the nation in assist percentage (75.9), and against Iowa they had assists on 68% of their baskets (15 of 22).

Tyson’s scoring has been a driving force. The transfer from North Carolina is second in the Big Ten at 21.7 points per game.

On defense, Minnesota has been able to — at least partially — limit some of other team’s best players. Iowa’s Bennett Stirtz, Northwestern’s Nick Martinelli and Indiana’s Tucker DeVries each found it frustrating at times against the Gophers.

For instance, Stirtz was held scoreless in the first half against Minnesota and early foul trouble also played a role in that.

The Hawkeyes came into the game at No. 2 in the conference in field goal percentage (51.9), but Minnesota limited them to under 38%.

“My experience has been, over the years, whenever you go through things like this, you become a better coach,” Medved said. “It doesn’t feel good at the time, but you get challenged. You’ve got to change the way you think, got to embrace it and you become better. I think people do, too. Players have embraced that.”

Related Articles


Gophers hold off late rally and upset No. 19 Iowa


When Gophers men’s basketball wins a road game, it’s snack time


Men’s basketball: Gophers second-half surge leads to 84-78 win at Northwestern


Huge challenge for short-handed Gophers men’s basketball: 18 straight Big Ten games


Gophers starting center Robert Vaihola expected to miss rest of season

Washington County board sets leadership team, approves salary increases

posted in: All news | 0

The Washington County Board of Commissioners on Tuesday decided on their leadership team for the year. Commissioner Karla Bigham will serve as board chair, and Commissioner Bethany Cox will serve as vice chair.

Washington County Commissioners Karla Bigham, left, and Bethany Cox (Courtesy of Bigham and Cox)

Bigham, elected in 2022, is serving in her second term on the county board; she previously served from 2015 to 2018. She also served in the Minnesota Senate, the Minnesota House of Representatives and on the Cottage Grove City Council.

Cox, elected to the board in November 2024, worked as director of development at the Wild Rivers Conservancy of the St. Croix and Namekagon from 2019 to 2024.

The board also recently approved staff and board pay increases. By a 4-1 vote, the board approved pay increases last month for County Administrator Kevin Corbid, Sheriff Dan Starry and County Attorney Kevin Magnuson for 2026; Commissioner Michelle Clasen was the “no” vote in each of the three motions.

Corbid will earn $259,284, a 6 percent increase over last year’s salary. Magnuson will earn $240,466 and Starry $230,605, both 6 percent increases.

The board members voted unanimously to give themselves 3 percent raises; each commissioner now makes $88,051 a year.

Related Articles


Mahtomedi man gets probation for sexually assaulting teen, who was promised drugs


Pine Needles residency program refocuses as next group of artists and writers sought


Forest Lake man who authorities say posed as teen indicted for child pornography


Washington County Board plans response to rumored Woodbury immigrant detention center


Gen. Patton’s chaplain to be honored at Afton ham-radio event

Trump says he wants to ban large investors from buying houses. It’s part of his affordability plan

posted in: All news | 0

By JOSH BOAK, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that he wants to block large institutional investors from buying houses, saying that a ban would make it easier for younger families to buy their first homes.

Related Articles


Trump’s Greenland idea isn’t new. The US has pursued it at least 3 times before


White House completes plan to curb bedrock environmental law


Gov. Ron DeSantis calls for special session in April to redraw Florida’s congressional districts


Trump threats against Greenland pose new, potentially unprecedented challenge to NATO


Trump officials loosen strings on federal education money for Iowa. More states could follow

Trump — who has been under pressure to address voters’ concerns about affordability ahead of November midterm elections — is tapping into long-standing fears that corporate ownership of homes has pushed out traditional buyers, forcing more people to rent. But his plan does little to address the overarching challenge for the housing market: a national shortage of home construction and prices that have climbed faster than incomes.

“People live in homes, not corporations,” Trump said in a social media post as he called on Congress to codify his ban.

Last month, Trump pledged in a prime-time address that he would roll out “some of the most aggressive housing reform plans in American history” this year. The president said he would discuss housing and affordability in more detail in two weeks at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, an event known for attracting CEOs, wealthy financiers and academics with a global focus who often run contrary to Trump’s populist rhetoric.

The president has in the past floated extending the 30-year mortgage to 50 years in order to lower monthly payments, an idea that has been criticized because it would reduce people’s ability to create housing equity and increase their own wealth.

With Trump’s proposed ban, the challenge is that institutional investors are only a tiny sliver of homebuyers, accounting for just 1% of total single-family housing stock, according to an August analysis by researchers at the American Enterprise Institute, a center-right think tank based in Washington, D.C. The analysis defined these investors as owning 100 or more properties.

The analysis notes that institutional ownership varies nationwide, reaching 4.2% in Atlanta, 2.6% in Dallas and 2.2% in Houston. But these investors tend not to dominate neighborhoods, even if they’re generally more concentrated in lower and middle-income communities.

The larger challenge has been a shortage of new construction, such that Goldman Sachs in October estimated in October that 3 million to 4 million additional homes beyond the normal construction levels would need to be built to relieve cost pressures. Mortgage rates also climbed in the inflation that followed the coronavirus pandemic, causing monthly payments on home loans to increase dramatically faster than incomes.

Still, Trump said last month that an increase in new construction would create a dilemma as it could cause existing home values to drop and that would come at the expense of many existing homeowners’ net worth.

“I don’t want to knock those numbers down because I want them to continue to have a big value for their house,” Trump said. “At the same time, I want to make it possible for young people out there and other people to buy housing. In a way, they’re at conflict.”

Trump administration funding threats set child care providers and parents on edge

posted in: All news | 0

By MORIAH BALINGIT and CHARLOTTE KRAMON

Even with two incomes, Charity Pallum said she and her husband would not be able to afford child care for their 1-year-old twins. But because of federal child care subsidies, both Pallum, a teacher, and her husband, who works at a car dealership, are able to work full-time.

Now, the Trump administration is increasing the reporting burdens for states to access the money. If Pallum’s family were to lose that support, her husband might have to stop working, putting a pinch on their family budget.

“I guess our plans are, ’We’re just going to see how this goes,’” said Pallum, a teacher living in Ada, Minnesota.

The Trump administration’s crackdown on the $12 billion Child Care and Development Fund, which subsidizes care for 1.4 million children from low-income households, has rattled child care providers and families that rely on the aid money. Citing unspecified allegations of fraud, Trump administration officials are requiring states to provide extra documentation before receiving the money.

It’s unclear if or when child care providers and families like Pallum’s would feel the pinch. Some states, like Minnesota, also invest state resources in child care programs, which could insulate families from any impacts.

Child care centers are bracing for scrutiny and possible cuts

The administration announced last week that state officials will be required to provide additional information to receive the federal child care money. On Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services announced a “freeze” that will require officials in five Democratic-led states to provide even more exhaustive documentation.

The department said it also would withhold other federal safety net money for those states — California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota and New York — including Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, which supports low-income parents with children under 18 with direct payments and by providing them with child care.

The administration has not released information about the fraud allegations that prompted the new scrutiny.

HHS said in a statement that it “identified concerns that these benefits intended for American citizens and lawful residents may have been improperly provided to individuals who are not eligible under federal law.”

The actions raised fears of payment delays and disruptions for the beleaguered child care industry, which has been struggling under staff shortages, long waits for subsidy programs and the effects of the Trump administration crackdown on immigration.

“Child centers are always living on the margins. Our staff are never paid enough. We can’t charge families enough privately to cover what staffers make,” said Jeanie Harris, executive director of programs at First Learning, a group of child care centers in New York state. “So we’re always living on the margins, especially with the subsidy programs, and any change or hit our reimbursements is going to be a house of cards.”

Providers say they already face extensive regulations

Already, child care providers comply with extensive regulations to receive federal subsides. Dawn Uribe, who runs Mis Amigos Preschool with several Minnesota locations, said staff have to make sure kids sign in and out with the correct ID, and it can take a month to get paid for services. For years, inspectors have regularly visited to assess their records.

“There’s already so much oversight that goes into this so I don’t really understand how much more they can do,” Uribe said.

The legwork required to meet federal subsidy requirements has at times made Uribe question whether she wants to keep accepting children who receive subsidies. Ultimately, it’s worth it to ensure she can provide care to low-income kids who need it, she said.

“We’re doing the best we can, and it’s hard work,” Uribe said.

Related Articles


Trump officials loosen strings on federal education money for Iowa. More states could follow


St. Paul school board member Jim Vue to resign


Homeless youth say they need more from schools, social services


Trump officials bar Head Start providers from using ‘women’ and ‘race’ in grant applications


Minnesota Democrats, child care providers push back on federal freeze

Karen DeVos, who runs three childcare facilities in rural northwest Minnesota, is preparing her staff to pull records on the spot in case an investigator shows up unannounced. Daycare centers are regularly subjected to audits and attendance checks, she said.

“If we continue to view every provider as somebody who could be committing fraud, we are going to lose really valuable resources in our child care providers,” DeVos said. “There is only so much stress that people can take and not knowing every single day if somebody is going to knock on your door and accuse you of something is terrifying.”

Pallum said neither she nor her husband want to risk skipping paychecks if they lose the child care subsidy.

“We have responsibilities to our families and we have responsibilities to our work, and we want to maintain both,” said Pallum. With federal childcare funds, “we can give our twins a consistent schedule. They do so much for the twins and they do so much for us, just being consistent and being able to live up to our responsibilities as parents and as community members.”

The Associated Press’ education coverage receives financial support from multiple private foundations. AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.