Harvard sues the Trump administration over ban on enrolling foreign students

posted in: All news | 0

By COLLIN BINKLEY, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Harvard University is challenging the Trump administration’s decision to bar the Ivy League school from enrolling foreign students, calling it unconstitutional retaliation for defying the White House’s political demands.

In a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court in Boston, Harvard said the government’s action violates the First Amendment and will have an “immediate and devastating effect for Harvard and more than 7,000 visa holders.”

“With the stroke of a pen, the government has sought to erase a quarter of Harvard’s student body, international students who contribute significantly to the University and its mission,” Harvard said in its suit.

Related Articles


Today in History: May 23, outlaws Bonnie and Clyde killed in police ambush


Microsoft fires employee who interrupted CEO’s speech to protest AI tech for Israeli military


Billion dollar pizza? Bitcoin soars on key anniversary of crypto’s growth


Weight-loss drugs may lower cancer risk in people with diabetes, a study suggests


The Memorial Day travel rush is off to an early start

The school said it plans to file for a temporary restraining order to block the Department of Homeland Security from carrying out the move.

Harvard enrolls almost 6,800 foreign students at its campus in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Most are graduate students and they come from more than 100 countries.

The department announced the action Thursday, accusing Harvard of creating an unsafe campus environment by allowing “anti-American, pro-terrorist agitators” to assault Jewish students on campus. It also accused Harvard of coordinating with the Chinese Communist Party, contending the school had hosted and trained members of a Chinese paramilitary group as recently as 2024.

Harvard President Alan Garber earlier this month said the university has made changes to its governance over the past year and a half, including a broad strategy to combat antisemitism, He said Harvard would not budge on its “its core, legally-protected principles” over fears of retaliation. Harvard has said it will respond at a later time to allegations first raised by House Republicans about coordination with the Chinese Communist Party.

The threat to Harvard’s international enrollment stems from an April 16 request from Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, who demanded that Harvard provide information about foreign students that might implicate them in violence or protests that could lead to their deportation.

Noem said Harvard can regain its ability to host foreign students if it produces a trove of records on foreign students within 72 hours. Her updated request demands all records, including audio or video footage, of foreign students participating in protests or dangerous activity on campus.

The suit is separate from the university’s earlier one challenging more than $2 billion in federal cuts imposed by the Republican administration.

The Associated Press’ education coverage receives financial support from multiple private foundations. AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.

Edmunds: How to get the best auto deals this Memorial Day weekend

posted in: All news | 0

By JOSH JACQUOT

Memorial Day weekend has long been one of the busiest times of year for car dealerships. Many car shoppers decide to pull the trigger on that long-considered purchase because of the major sales promotions and the symbolic start of summer. But things are a little different this year.

Related Articles


Trump tariff threats on EU, Apple, send US futures and global markets skidding


Trump threatens 50% tariffs on EU and 25% penalties on Apple as his trade war intensifies


Microsoft fires employee who interrupted CEO’s speech to protest AI tech for Israeli military


Acme Tools opens Eagan storefront, its first new Minnesota location in 20 years


Billion dollar pizza? Bitcoin soars on key anniversary of crypto’s growth

Because of tariffs on offshore-built vehicles and components, confusion is setting in. Shoppers are rightly wondering: Will prices go up? Are the deals real? Should I buy now or wait?

Here’s some good news. With a little strategy and timing, you can score a great deal this Memorial Day weekend and avoid potential price hikes in the months ahead. Here are five tips from the experts at Edmunds that will help you decide and get the best deal.

Prioritize U.S.-assembled vehicles

Start close to home if you’re looking to insulate yourself from the effects of tariffs. The tariffs most affect vehicles that are not assembled in the United States. While many of these vehicles use components from abroad, the final assembly taking place in the U.S. means they’re not subject to the 25% import tariff.

How do you know which vehicles are assembled in the U.S? To start, you could consider vehicles from domestic automakers such as Ford, General Motors and Tesla. But you need to be careful: Not every domestic brand vehicle is assembled in the U.S. At the same time, many foreign automakers, such as BMW, Honda and Toyota, build some of their vehicles here.

You’ll want to check the window sticker of a vehicle you’re interested in. It will show where final assembly occurred as well as the percentage of U.S. and foreign parts. Keep in mind that even though a car is assembled in the U.S., it won’t escape tariffs on its foreign-made parts.

Seek out pre-tariff inventory

Many dealerships still have vehicles in stock that were imported or assembled before the April 2 effective date. Most dealers carry about 60 days of inventory, which means at least some of the cars on lots this Memorial Day weekend haven’t been affected by the new pricing yet.

So how do you find them? Simple: You ask.

Dealerships have inventory management systems that show exactly when each vehicle arrived. If you’re eyeing a specific model, request to see vehicles that landed before early April. This approach won’t work forever — by midsummer, that inventory will dwindle — but for now, it’s one of the smartest ways to shop.

Explore Memorial Day incentives and promotions

Major holidays mean major promotions, and this Memorial Day is no exception. For example, Ford is offering employee pricing to all customers through July 7 — an aggressive discount that essentially strips away dealer markups. That can mean thousands in savings on popular models like the F-150 or Explorer.

Other automakers are following suit. Expect to see 0% APR offers, cash-back bonuses, lease specials, and extended warranties advertised heavily this weekend.

But here’s the trick: These offers can vary significantly by region and dealer, so comparison shop online first. Automakers’ websites often have tools to search incentives by ZIP code.

Consider buying used

Used cars are not subject to tariffs. So if you want to avoid tariff-induced sticker shock, the used market might be your safest bet. The supply of used vehicles has been rising steadily post-pandemic. That means better selection, more competitive pricing, and a greater chance of finding a lightly used vehicle with low mileage.

Look for certified pre-owned models that come with factory warranties — they often strike a good balance between peace of mind and cost savings. And with interest rates still high, the lower principal of a used vehicle can significantly reduce your monthly payment if you finance.

Be flexible and move quickly

Finally, with the industry in flux, flexibility is your friend. That might mean settling for your second-choice color, choosing a different trim level, or opting for an in-stock configuration instead of ordering a custom build. In return, you’ll get the benefit of a better price.

And if you’ve been on the fence about buying? Don’t wait too long. Automakers and analysts agree: Prices are likely to rise later this summer if the tariffs continue.

Edmunds says

Between factory incentives, pre-tariff inventory, U.S.-built options and a growing used car market, there are plenty of ways to save this Memorial Day. Just be prepared and be informed.

This story was provided to The Associated Press by the automotive website Edmunds. Josh Jacquot is a contributor at Edmunds.

Trump tariff threats on EU, Apple, send US futures and global markets skidding

posted in: All news | 0

By JIANG JUNZHE and MATT OTT, Associated Press

Markets on Wall Street and in Europe declined rapidly early Friday morning after President Donald Trump posted a pair of tariff threats on social media, one aimed at Apple and the other at the European Union.

Futures for the S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average slid 1.5% and Nasdaq futures tumbled 1.7% before the bell. Oil prices fell and Treasury yields sank as well.

Markets took a sharp turn downward after Trump posted on social media that he wants “a straight 50% Tariff” on the EU beginning June 1 because representatives of the bloc have been difficult in negotiations.

Related Articles


Today in History: May 23, outlaws Bonnie and Clyde killed in police ambush


Microsoft fires employee who interrupted CEO’s speech to protest AI tech for Israeli military


Billion dollar pizza? Bitcoin soars on key anniversary of crypto’s growth


Weight-loss drugs may lower cancer risk in people with diabetes, a study suggests


The Memorial Day travel rush is off to an early start

European markets fell nearly immediately after Trump’s post on his own Truth Social site. Germany’s DAX quickly swung to a 1.9% loss, while the CAC 40 in Paris fell 2.4%. London’s FTSE 100 shed 1.1%.

Trump has dialed back or paused many of his tariff threats in recent weeks, bringing some peace to markets which had been swinging wildly in both directions for weeks as Trump fired off tariff threats.

Shares of Apple were down 3.8% in morning trading after Trump threatened to put a 25% tariff on Apple products unless the company moves its iPhone manufacturing to the United States.

The threat delivered over social media could dramatically increase the price of iPhones, potentially hurting sales and the profits of one of America’s leading technology companies.

U.S. benchmark crude oil tumbled $1.07, or 1.3%, to $60.13 per barrel while Brent crude, the international standard, fell 99 cents to $63.45 per barrel.

Trump threatens 50% tariffs on EU and 25% penalties on Apple as his trade war intensifies

posted in: All news | 0

By JOSH BOAK, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Friday threatened a 50% tax on all imports from the European Union as well a 25% tariff on Apple products unless iPhones are made in America.

The threats, delivered over social media, reflect Trump’s ability to disrupt the global economy with a burst of typing as well as the reality that his tariffs are not producing the sufficient trade deals he is seeking or the return of domestic manufacturing he has promised voters.

Related Articles


Iran and US hold a fifth round of nuclear negotiations in Rome with enrichment a key issue


Tax bill passed by House Republicans would gut Biden-era clean energy tax credits


A look at the deportees on plane that headed for South Sudan from US


Supreme Court declines to reinstate independent agency board members fired by President Donald Trump


Work requirements could transform Medicaid and food aid under US budget bill

The Republican president said he wants to charge higher import taxes on goods from the EU, a long-standing US ally, than from China, a geopolitical rival that had its tariffs cut to 30% this month so Washington and Beijing could hold negotiations. Trump was upset by the lack of progress in trade talks with the EU, which has insisted on cutting tariffs to zero even as the president has publicly insisted on preserving a baseline 10% tax on most imports.

“Our discussions with them are going nowhere!” Trump posted on Truth Social. “Therefore, I am recommending a straight 50% Tariff on the European Union, starting on June 1, 2025. There is no Tariff if the product is built or manufactured in the United States.”

That post had been preceded by a threat of import taxes against Apple. Apple now joins Amazon, Walmart and other major U.S. companies in the White House’s crosshairs as they try to respond to the uncertainty and inflationary pressures unleashed by his tariffs.

“I have long ago informed Tim Cook of Apple that I expect their iPhone’s that will be sold in the United States of America will be manufactured and built in the United States, not India, or anyplace else,” Trump wrote. “If that is not the case, a Tariff of at least 25% must be paid by Apple to the U.S.”

In response to Trump’s tariffs on China, Apple and CEO Tim Cook were looking to shift iPhone manufacturing to India as the company adjusts supply chains. That plan has become a source of frustration for Trump, who also brought it up last week during his Middle East trip.

Stock futures sold off after Trump’s postings.