College freshman is deported flying home for Thanksgiving surprise, despite court order

posted in: All news | 0

By HOLLY RAMER, Associated Press

Concord, N.H. (AP) — A college freshman trying to fly from Boston to Texas to surprise her family for Thanksgiving was instead deported to Honduras in violation of a court order, according to her attorney.

Related Articles


Photos capture enduring enthusiasm for Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year


More snow, rain, and cold weather in store for post-Thanksgiving travelers


Suspect in shooting of National Guard members now facing a first-degree murder charge


US stocks rise on last trading day of November


Here’s what to know about the federal ban threatening the market for THC-infused drinks and snacks

Any Lucia Lopez Belloza, 19, had already passed through security at Boston Logan International Airport on Nov. 20 when she was told there was an issue with her boarding pass, said attorney Todd Pomerleau. The Babson College student was then detained by immigration officials and within two days, sent to Texas and then Honduras, the country she left at age 7.

“She’s absolutely heartbroken,” Pomerleau said. “Her college dream has just been shattered.”

According to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, an immigration judge ordered Lopez Belloza deported in 2015. Pomerleau said she wasn’t aware of any removal order, however, and the only record he’s found indicates her case was closed in 2017.

“They’re holding her responsible for something they claim happened a decade ago that she’s completely unaware of and not showing any of the proof,” the lawyer said.

The day after Lopez Belloza was arrested, a federal judge issued an emergency order prohibiting the government from moving her out of Massachusetts or the United States for at least 72 hours. ICE did not respond to an email Friday from The Associated Press seeking comment about violating that order. Babson College also did not respond to an email seeking comment.

Lopez Belloza, who is staying with her grandparents in Honduras, told The Boston Globe she had been looking forward to telling her parents and younger sisters about her first semester studying business.

“That was my dream,” she said. “I’m losing everything.”

What we do and don’t know about the shooting of 2 National Guard members in DC

posted in: All news | 0

WASHINGTON (AP) — The shooting of two West Virginia National Guard members in the nation’s capital has left some questions unanswered.

Officials say the suspect in Wednesday’s attack is an Afghan national, and some details have been released about the two Guard members, one of whom has died. The motive for the attack was not clear.

Here’s what we know so far and what we don’t know:

One National Guard member has died

President Donald Trump announced Thursday that Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, had died from her injuries. Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24, was in “very critical condition,” Gov. Patrick Morrisey, R-W.Va., said Friday.

They were deployed as part of Trump’s crime-fighting mission that involved taking over the District of Columbia’s police department. Beckstrom and Wolfe had been on orders in Washington since August, according to the West Virginia National Guard.

Beckstrom, of Summersville, West Virginia, had volunteered “to ensure the safety and security of our nation’s capital,” the Guard said in a statement. She graduated from Webster County High School in June 2023 and enlisted that month, serving “with distinction” as a military police officer, the Guard said. “She exemplified leadership, dedication, and professionalism.”

Wolfe, of Martinsburg, West Virginia, entered service in February 2019. He had graduated from Musselman High School in 2019, said Karla Troppman, a spokesperson for the Berkeley County Schools.

Principal Alicia Riggleman described him as “an active, engaged, and high-achieving student who embodied the Applemen spirit, contributing positively to our school community both academically and athletically.”

How the attack unfolded

Jeanine Pirro, the U.S. attorney in Washington, said the suspect, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, drove from Washington state to launch an “ambush-style” attack with a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver.

Video reviewed by investigators showed the assailant “came around the corner” and immediately started firing at the troops, according to Jeffery Carroll, an executive assistant police chief. Service members ran over and held down the shooter, who was taken into custody, he said. Authorities believe he was the only gunman.

Carroll said that it was not clear whether one of the Guard members or a law enforcement officer shot the suspect.

The suspect’s wounds were not believed to be life-threatening, officials said.

The suspect and his pathway to the US

Lakanwal, 29, entered the United States in 2021 through Operation Allies Welcome, officials said. That Biden administration program evacuated and resettled tens of thousands of Afghans after the U.S. withdrawal from the country.

Lakanwal applied for asylum during the Biden administration, but it was approved during the Trump administration, #AfghanEvac said in a statement.

Related Articles


Photos capture enduring enthusiasm for Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year


More snow, rain, and cold weather in store for post-Thanksgiving travelers


Suspect in shooting of National Guard members now facing a first-degree murder charge


US stocks rise on last trading day of November


Here’s what to know about the federal ban threatening the market for THC-infused drinks and snacks

Supporters have said there was extensive screening and that the program offered a lifeline to people at risk of Taliban reprisals.

The initiative brought roughly 76,000 people to the U.S. Many had worked alongside U.S. troops and diplomats as interpreters and translators.

The program has drawn intense criticism from Trump and other Republicans over what they have argued are gaps in the screening process and the speed of admissions.

Before arriving in the U.S., Lakanwal worked with the American government, including the CIA, “as a member of a partner force” in Kandahar, Afghanistan, CIA Director John Ratcliffe said.

Ratcliffe did not specify that work but said the relationship “ended shortly following the chaotic evacuation” of U.S. service members from Afghanistan.

A resident of the eastern Afghan province of Khost who identified himself as Lakanwal’s cousin said Lakanwal had worked in a special Afghan Army unit known as Zero Units. A former official from the unit said Lakanwal was a team leader and his brother was a platoon leader. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation or for fear of reprisals.

Zero Units were paramilitary units with Afghans but backed by the CIA, and they also served in front-line fighting with CIA paramilitary officers. Activists had attributed abuses to the units. They provided security around Kabul International Airport in the Afghan capital as the Americans and others fell back during the Taliban offensive that seized the country.

The cousin said Lakanwal started out working as a security guard for the unit in 2012 and was later promoted to become a team leader and a GPS specialist.

Lakanwal’s former landlord, Kristina Widman, said Lakanwal had been living in Washington state with his wife and five children.

What charges the suspect faces

Pirro’s office said Friday that Lakanwal’s charges have been upgraded to include one count of first-degree murder, three counts of possession of a firearm during a crime of violence and two counts of assault with intent to kill while armed. The murder charge was added after Beckstrom’s death.

In an interview with Fox News, Pirro said Friday there are “many charges to come.” She declined to discuss the suspect’s motive, saying officials have been working around the clock on that question.

More National Guard troops

Soon after the shooting, Trump said he would send 500 more National Guard troops to Washington. It was not immediately not clear from where the additional troops would come.

There were nearly 2,200 Guard members from various states in the city. As of early November, the D.C. National Guard had the largest number on the ground, with 949 members. Louisiana, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama also had forces in the capital early this month, in addition to service members from West Virginia.

A federal judge last week ordered an end to the Guard deployment but also put her order on hold for 21 days to allow the Trump administration time to either remove the troops or appeal.

Associated Press journalists Collin Binkley, John Raby, Josh Boak, Alanna Durkin Richer, Eric Tucker, Michael R. Sisak, Mike Balsamo, Michael Biesecker, Anthony Izaguirre, Siddiqullah Alizai, Elena Becatoros and Jesse Bedayn contributed to this report.

Russia outlaws Human Rights Watch as crackdown on dissent continues

posted in: All news | 0

The Russian authorities Friday outlawed Human Rights Watch as an “undesirable organization,” a label that under a 2015 law makes involvement with such organizations a criminal offense.

Related Articles


Hungary’s Orbán seeks more Russian oil and gas at Kremlin talks with Putin


Israeli forces kill at least 13 people in southern Syria raid, officials and residents say


Death toll from floods and landslides on Indonesia’s Sumatra island rises to 164


Paris’ Louvre museum to increase ticket price for visitors from outside the EU


Zelenskyy’s chief of staff resigns as Ukraine corruption investigations widen

The designation means the international human rights group must stop all work in Russia, and opens those who cooperate with or support the organization to prosecution.

The decision by the Russian prosecutor general’s office is the latest move in an unrelenting crackdown on Kremlin critics, journalists and activists, which has intensified to unprecedented levels since Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

In a separate statement on Friday, the office said it was opening a case against Russian feminist punk band Pussy Riot that would designate the group as an extremist organization.

Meanwhile, on Thursday, Russia’s Supreme Court designated the Anti-Corruption Foundation set up by the late opposition activist Alexei Navalny as a terrorist group. The ruling targeted the foundation’s U.S.-registered entity, which became the focal point for the group when the original Anti-Corruption Foundation was designated an “undesirable organization” by the Russian government in 2021.

“There is no doubt that other organizations will soon be designated as ‘terrorists’ — independent media, human rights projects, and local initiatives,” the foundation said in a statement.

“This is a political strategy used by the Russian authorities: to declare anyone who interferes with their theft and endless war an enemy of the state.”

Russia’s list of “undesirable organizations” currently covers more than 275 entities, including prominent independent news outlets and rights groups. Among those are prominent news organizations like Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, think tanks like Chatham House, anti-corruption group Transparency International, and environmental advocacy organization WWF.

Founded in 1978, Human Rights Watch monitors and researches human rights violations in countries across the world. It has been outspoken in its opposition to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and recently published an investigation into Russian forces using drones to deliberately chase, injure and kill civilians living in Ukraine’s Kherson region.

Death toll from floods in Thailand reaches 145 as receding water reveals widespread damage

posted in: All news | 0

BANGKOK (AP) — The death toll from flooding in southern Thailand has reached at least 145, officials said Friday, as receding waters started to reveal devastating damage across the region.

Related Articles


Hungary’s Orbán seeks more Russian oil and gas at Kremlin talks with Putin


Israeli forces kill at least 13 people in southern Syria raid, officials and residents say


Death toll from floods and landslides on Indonesia’s Sumatra island rises to 164


Paris’ Louvre museum to increase ticket price for visitors from outside the EU


Zelenskyy’s chief of staff resigns as Ukraine corruption investigations widen

More than 1.2 million households and 3.6 million people have been affected by floods triggered by heavy rains in 12 southern provinces, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said Friday.

Government spokesperson Siripong Angkasakulkiat said in a news conference in Bangkok that flooding has killed 145 people in eight provinces, particularly in Songkhla province which recorded at least 110 deaths.

He said search and rescue efforts have become more successful as floodwaters started to recede further.

Songkhla province recorded a sharp increase in the death toll after flooding began to subside. News reports showed rescuers gained more access to residential areas that had previously been submerged under high water and recovered more bodies, particularly in Hat Yai, the largest city in the south.

The disaster department reported Friday morning that waters have receded in most of the affected areas, but levels remain high in some locations. The Meteorological Department said rainfall has decreased in the south but warned of thunderstorms in some areas.

The flooding caused severe disruption, leaving thousands of people stranded, rendering streets impassable and submerging low-rise buildings and vehicles.

Videos and photos from the affected areas on Friday show damaged roads, fallen power poles, household appliances and debris washed away by floodwaters piled along the streets. Abandoned cars were overturned or stacked atop one another, apparently swept away by powerful currents.