Americans stuck in the Middle East recount finding their way home with little government help

posted in: All news | 0

By HALLIE GOLDEN, RIO YAMAT and MICHAEL CASEY

Alyssa Ramos’ evacuation from Kuwait involved a 48-hour journey across four continents. The U.S. government did not help with any of it, the travel blogger said.

“They keep going on the news and saying they’re doing everything they can to get Americans out,” Ramos said after landing in Miami on Thursday. “I know for a fact they’re not.”

Related Articles


Hegseth’s comments are a reminder that government isn’t always eager to show the human cost to war


Trump takes forceful steps to pressure Latin American leaders to reduce China ties


Gulf allies complain US didn’t notify them of Iran attacks and ignored their warnings, sources say


Bulletproof vests and Rolex watches: The rise and fall of Kristi Noem


Trump rules out talks absent Iran’s ‘unconditional surrender’ as Israel strikes Lebanon

She said she repeatedly messaged the U.S. Embassy in Kuwait and was directed to the consular section, which told her it couldn’t help her leave the country and that she should enroll in the U.S.’s smart traveler program and shelter in place.

Ramos is one of the many Americans and citizens of other countries who evacuated from the Middle East or were still stranded there Friday, almost a week after Israeli-U.S. attacks on Iran rapidly entangled more than a dozen nearby countries. U.S. citizens described frustrations and growing fear as they encountered closed airports, canceled flights and alarming U.S. government guidance while Poland, Australia, France and other countries more quickly dispatched military or chartered planes to bring their citizens home.

“Having the State Department or whoever tell us, you need to get out immediately, well, but there’s no help. So you’re on your own to get your own travel plans. That was the most stressful thing,” Chicago resident Susan Daley said after arriving Thursday on the first commercial flight from Dubai to San Francisco since the Iran war began on Feb. 28. Daley had been on a work trip in the United Arab Emirates.

President Donald Trump’s administration has pushed back against criticism that the U.S. response was too slow.

The U.S. State Department said the first government-chartered repatriation flight made it back from the Mideast on Thursday and that more would arrive daily. It wasn’t immediately clear how many people were on the planes or where in the Middle East they had departed from. The department says as of Thursday, it has “directly assisted” 10,000 citizens in the region seeking help or information.

A social media post from the assistant secretary of state for public affairs included a photo of Americans boarding a chartered emblazoned with the logo of the NFL’s New England Patriots. The plane is believed to be at least the second such flight to land at Dulles International Airport outside Washington.

As of Thursday, about 20,000 Americans had returned safely to the U.S. since the war started, the State Department said Thursday. U.S. embassies in the region continued to direct Americans to rely on commercial flights to leave, although much of the airspace across the Gulf remained closed or heavily restricted.

In the absence of advice from Washington or U.S. consular offices, some travelers said they turned to WhatsApp group chats and crowdsourced tips on social media for leads on commercial flights and alternative routes out of the United Arab Emirates, Kuwait and other countries. Some set up GoFundMe campaigns to help cover hotel and other expenses from days spent stuck in Dubai and other Gulf cities.

Chat groups help people evacuating

Ramos started WhatsApp group chats Monday to help people following her difficult evacuation via her social media account, “My Life’s a Travel Movie,” and messaging her that they needed help getting out, too.

In three days, more than 2,200 people joined the chats about leaving Dubai, Doha, Qatar, and Kuwait. Members organized shared rides to airports where flights were still operating, passed along names of trusted drivers and listed prices and even types of currency accepted.

On Thursday, a member wrote that her husband and two children have been trying to get out of Dubai but had two flights canceled and that her 2-year-old, who is diabetic, was running out of medication. Other members immediately jumped in to offer advice.

Jason Altmire, a former three-term Democratic congressman from Pennsylvania, made it out of Dubai after the UAE partially reopened its airspace and Emirates airline resumed limited flights.

“We never heard anything from the State Department other than the general email advising us to find our own way out,” Altmire said in an email interview. “I found this, along with the ‘you’re on your own’ State Department voicemail, to be infuriating.”

A stranded passenger sleeps on the floor outside Dubai International Airport terminal as the airport resumes limited operations in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, Thursday, March 5, 2026. (AP Photo/Altaf Qadri)

Democratic lawmakers call US response ‘unacceptable’

In a letter Tuesday to Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Democrats in Congress said that “the lack of clear preparation, planning, and communication to Americans abroad is unacceptable and a violation of the State Department’s basic mission to provide consular assistance and the protection of U.S. citizens overseas.”

Rubio said Tuesday that the U.S. had organized recovery flights but officials faced challenges due to airspace closures.

“We know that we’re going to be able to help them,” he said, while cautioning that “it’s going to take a little time because we don’t control the airspace closures.”

American Cory McKane, stranded in Dubai, managed to catch a flight out of the region Wednesday after a long, sleepless and expensive journey to Muscat, Oman.

Rather than risk being caught up at the crowded airport in Dubai, McKane and his friends rented a car and drove to the Oman border. There, he said, taxi drivers were charging as much as $650 to take stranded travelers to Muscat’s airport, where flights are still operating.

McKane said he was fortunate to have knowledgeable local friends and that stranded travelers created a WhatsApp group to share tips and advice.

“Everyone’s been sending each other resources because, quite frankly, the U.S. has not done a single thing in any capacity. That’s been really disappointing,” McKane said.

A plane takes off from the Beirut–Rafic Hariri International Airport as smoke from an earlier Israeli airstrike still rises in Dahiyeh, Beirut’s southern suburbs, Lebanon, Thursday, March 5, 2026.(AP Photo/Hussein Malla)

Commercial flight options are increase slowly

Commercial flight options have been limited since the start of the war. More than 29,000 of roughly 51,000 flights scheduled in or out of Middle East airports were canceled as of Friday, according to aviation analytics firm Cirium.

Oman, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Jordan have emerged as key exit points for repatriation flights because flights are still operating in those countries. Airspace over Iran, Iraq, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait and Syria, however, remained closed, according to flight-tracking service Flightradar24.

Azerbaijan closed the southern sector of its airspace Thursday, after it accused Iran of a drone attack on its territory that injured four civilians and damaged an airport building.

Trenten Higgins, who took a taxi from Israel to Jordan, was able to fly out of its capital and get to New York on Thursday. He said the State Department wasn’t helpful.

“Every alert that they gave and all the advice they gave was a day at least too late,” he said. “Even when it wasn’t too late, it was impossible to act upon and then they would just hang up.”

Associated Press reporters Wyatte Grantham-Philips and David Martin in New York, Haven Daley in San Francisco, Matthew Lee in Washington and R.J. Rico in Atlanta contributed to this report.

Survey: Gatorland heads list of top roadside attractions in US

posted in: All news | 0

Gatorland is the nation’s most popular roadside attraction, according to a new survey that weighs TripAdvisor reviews, Instagram posts and worldwide Google searches.

The Orlando animal attraction, operating since 1949, edged out Sun Studio of Memphis, Tennessee, in the rankings, which were released by Betway Casino, which analyzed the statistics for more than 80 roadside attractions in the United States.

Related Articles


A traditional sausage in the shape of a horseshoe is ‘ironed’ for dryness in southeastern Serbia


Japan’s traditional kimonos are being repurposed in creative and sustainable ways


Travel: Spring is skiing’s secret season


‘No lines and big, wide-open runs’: This woodsy California ski town is like Mammoth without the crowds


This California spot leads list of worst tourist attractions in the world

Gatorland features hundreds of reptiles, as well as other animals, plus gator wrestling, a zip-line course that travels over the breeding marsh, an off-road attraction, old Florida charm and an iconic entrance that encourages visitors to walk through oversized alligator jaws.  The survey says Gatorland’s average TripAdvisor score was 4.4, the second-highest level in the final top 10, and it has been featured in 135,932 Instagram posts.

Four California attractions made the top 10 list, including Winchester Mystery House in San Jose; Glass Beach at Fort Bragg; Salvation Mountain, a folk-art installation; and the bright pink Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. The closest, in physical distance, to Orlando beyond Gatorland was Blowing Rock in North Carolina.

Other top finishers include House on the Rock in Wisconsin; Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas; and Devils Punch Bowl of Otter Rock, Oregon.

dbevil@orlandosentinel.com

Pakistani Shiites rally to denounce US-Israeli strikes on Iran as US Embassy issues a security alert

posted in: All news | 0

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Hundreds of minority Shiites rallied Friday in Pakistan’s capital and elsewhere in the country to denounce the killing of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in U.S.-Israeli strikes, as the U.S. Embassy In Islamabad issued a security alert warning Americans of possible violence.

Related Articles


Gulf allies complain US didn’t notify them of Iran attacks and ignored their warnings, sources say


Sri Lanka takes custody of an Iranian vessel off its coast after US sank an Iranian warship


Today in History: March 6, Walter Cronkite signs off for the last time


Israeli warplanes pound Tehran and Beirut as the US vows a surge in its strikes on Iran


US and Venezuela agree to reestablish diplomatic relations in major shift after Maduro’s ouster

Amid heavy police presence, about 300 protesters staged a sit-in in Islamabad, holding posters of Khamenei and chanting “Death to America” and “Death to Israel.” Islamabad police had parked shipping containers on roads leading to the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad to prevent any potential escalation.

Pakistani authorities said the protesters had agreed not to march toward the embassy in Islamabad, located about 1.8 miles from the sit-in. The protesters planned to end their sit-in later Friday.

Khamenei, who ruled Iran since 1989, has long been a central religious and political figure for Shiites worldwide, including in Pakistan. His death in a joint U.S.-Israeli operation at the start of the war last week sparked outrage among many Shiites.

Security was also been beefed up in the port city of Karachi, where hundreds of Shiites stormed the U.S. Consulate on Sunday, smashing windows and attempting to set the building on fire. Police used batons, tear gas, and live fire to disperse the crowd. The violence left 10 protesters dead in Karachi, and at least 13 were killed in northern cities, including Skardu and Gilgit.

In Karachi, Shiite protesters gathered on Friday some 2.5 miles from the consulate.

Separately, smaller groups of Sunni protesters also rallied in Islamabad and Karachi on Friday against the U.S.-Israeli war with Iran. The protests were held far from the U.S. diplomatic missions. No violence was reported.

In a security alert ahead of the demonstrations, the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad urged Americans in the country to limit their movement outside. Also, an updated advisory warned U.S. citizens against travel to Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province, northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and the disputed Himalayan region of Kashmir due to risks of “terrorism and kidnapping”.

Shiites make up roughly 15% of Pakistan’s population of about 250 million, the majority of whom are Sunni Muslims.