Husband of slain ‘King of the Hill’ actor Jonathan Joss says neighbor was homophobic

posted in: All news | 0

Jonathan Joss, known for roles on “King of the Hill” and “Parks and Recreation,” was allegedly killed by his neighbor on Sunday in an attack the victim’s husband says was motivated by anti-gay sentiment.

According to the San Antonio Police Department and eyewitnesses who spoke with TMZ, the 59-year-old was shot during a heated argument with the neighbor, Sigfredo Alvarez-Cega.

The confrontation turned bloody when Alvarez-Cega pulled out a gun and shot several bullets at the actor before driving off in a car. Officers received a call about the shooting as well as a description of the vehicle.

Joss’ husband, Tristan Kern de Gonzales, released a statement detailing what fueled the altercation, claiming homophobia as the root cause.

In this handout photo released by the Bexar County Sheriff’s Office, suspect Sigfredo Ceja Alvarez poses for a booking photo on June 2, 2025 in San Antonio, Texas. He was booked on suspicion of murder of Jonathan Joss, a voice actor on the television show “King of the Hill”. (Photo by Bexar County Sheriff’s Office via Getty Images)

Gonzales says the couple went to check the mail at the site of their former home, which had previously burned down. He says a man “yelling violent homophobic slurs at us” approached them and “raised a gun from his lap and fired.”

Gonzales also said they were “harassed regularly” by the “openly homophobic” neighbor.

“He was murdered by someone who could not stand the sight of two men living each other,” Gonzales wrote in a Facebook post. “I was with him when he passed. I told him how much he was loved.”

Related Articles


Campbell’s Co. says sales rise as more Americans cook meals at home


Northern lights could be visible again in some US states after weekend solar storms


Tulsa’s first-ever Black mayor proposes $100M trust to ‘repair’ impact of 1921 Race Massacre


ICE chief defends agents’ use of masks, decries sanctuary jurisdictions


Federal hate crime charge for man authorities say injured 8 in Colorado attack

He also said Joss was shot in front of him and saved his life by protecting him when the gunman started shooting.

Alvarez-Cega was later found one block from the house and taken into custody.

Paramedics rushed to the scene to provide medical assistance to save Joss’ life, but by the time they arrived it was too late. The 59-year-old actor was pronounced dead on the scene.

Joss was best known as the voice of John Redcorn in “King of the Hill” and his role as Chief Ken Hotate in “Parks and Recreation.” He also had television roles in “Ray Donovan,” The Magnificent Seven,” “True Grit” and “Tulsa King.”

Alvarez-Cega was charged with murder and his bond has been set at $200K.

Renée Victor, the voice of no-nonsense Abuelita in ‘Coco,’ dies at 86

posted in: All news | 0

By JOCELYN NOVECK

Renée Victor, who voiced the no-nonsense, sandal-throwing Abuelita in Disney’s animated hit “Coco” and played the wisecracking Lupita on Showtime’s “Weeds,” has died. She was 86.

Related Articles


Top 10 summer movies: ‘Fantastic Four,’ meet ‘Jurassic Park 7’ and the new man from Krypton


Theater review: The Hmong women are tough and funny in Jungle Theater’s powerful ‘Sixpack’


Column: How ‘Jaws’ changed our chumminess with swimming 50 years ago this summer


Here are five ways to celebrate Pride month, from Pee-wee Herman to F1rst Wrestling


Russell Brand pleads not guilty to charges of rape and sexual assault in London court

Victor’s death was confirmed on Monday by a representative, Julie Smith, who said the actor had lymphoma for several years. She died Friday at her home in Sherman Oaks, California, Smith said, with family by her side.

A post on the Instagram feed of Pixar, which produced “Coco,” said: “We are heartbroken to hear of the passing of Renée Victor, the voice (of) Abuelita in ‘Coco’ and an incredible part of the Pixar family. We will always remember you.”

Victor appeared in 22 episodes of “Weeds” as sassy housekeeper Lupita between 2005 and 2012, among many other TV credits including “ER,” “Matlock” and “The Addams Family.” But she was perhaps best known for what she called the chancla-throwing grandmother in “Coco,” the 2017 family-friendly movie that explored death through the journey of a young Mexican boy to the land of the dead.

“I play the part of ‘Abuelita,’ the chancla throwing grandma that preaches ‘No Music!’” she wrote on Instagram, looking back several years ago. “Enjoy ‘Coco’ with your family this Dia de los Muertos and forever more!”

FILE – Renee Victor appears at the premiere of “Coco” in Los Angeles on Nov. 8, 2017. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP, File)

She also looked back at “The Apostle,” the 1997 movie that Robert Duvall wrote, directed and starred in. “He took a chance on me with this film,” Victor wrote on Instagram. “This is where I got my nickname ‘one take Renée,’” she said, adding laughter emojis. “I had a small role but what a great one! Can somebody give me an amen?!”

Born in San Antonio, Texas, on July 25, 1938, Victor began her performing career as a singer and dancer. She moved to Los Angeles in the 1960s, according to biography material provided by her representatives, where she launched her career singing with prominent big band leaders Xavier Cugat and Pérez Prado. She also taught Latin dancing, including the salsa and tango.

She met her future husband, Ray, during that period, and from 1963 to 1973, they performed together as “Ray & Renée,” a variety show took them around the world — including Australia, where “they enjoyed particular fame,” the materials said.

In the 1970s, Victor hosted the “Pacesetters” public affairs show on KTLA, her representatives said, and by the ’80s had moved into TV and film work.

Her film credits, other than “The Apostle,” included the 2014 horror film “Paranormal Activity 5: The Marked Ones,” “The Doctor” with William Hurt (1991), and “A Night in Old Mexico” (2013), also with Duvall. In 2004, she had a recurring role as Florina Lopez on TV’s “ER,” and the following year was cast in “Weeds.” Other series credits included “Snowpiercer” (2020-2021), “Mayans M.C.” (2022), “Dead to Me” (2020-2022), and Amazon’s “With Love” (2021-2023).

Victor is survived by her daughters, Raquel and Margo Victor, Smith said.

Campbell’s Co. says sales rise as more Americans cook meals at home

posted in: All news | 0

By DEE-ANN DURBIN

The Campbell’s Co. said Monday it saw stronger sales of broth and condensed soup in its latest quarter as more Americans cooked their meals at home.

Related Articles


Federal student loan rates soften for 2025-26, making borrowing slightly more affordable


China says US moves on computer chips and student visas ‘seriously violate’ tariffs truce


Wall Street drifts as oil prices jump and US manufacturing slumps


Business People: Catherine Penkert named chief of staff at Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity


Real World Economics: Bond primer part 1: Understanding the market

“Consumers continue to cook at home and focus their spending on products that help them stretch their food budgets, and they’re increasingly intentional about their discretionary snack purchases,” Campbell’s President and CEO Mick Beekhuizen said during a conference call with investors.

Beekhuizen said Campbell’s saw the highest level of meals cooked at home since early 2020 in its fiscal third quarter, which ended April 27. Campbell’s noted sales of its broths rose 15% during the quarter while sales of its Rao’s pasta sauces were up 2%.

But Campbell’s said sales of its snacks, including Goldfish crackers and Cape Cod potato chips, fell 4% during the quarter.

Other big companies, including McDonald’s, have also noted that Americans are increasingly eating at home as uncertainty over the economy grows. Grocery prices have also moderated. In 2024, prices for food eaten at home rose 1.2%, while prices for food away from home rose 4.1%, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Snack makers like PepsiCo, which makes Frito Lay chips, and General Mills, which makes Bugles chips and Golden Grahams, have also noted lower demand for snacks in recent quarters.

Campbell’s net sales rose 4% to $2.5 billion for the fiscal third quarter, which was in line with Wall Street’s expectations, according to analysts polled by FactSet.

Judge blocks administration from revoking protected status for small subset of Venezuelans

posted in: All news | 0

By JANIE HAR

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — An estimated 5,000 Venezuelans granted temporary protected status can continue to work and live in the U.S. despite a Supreme Court ruling revoking protections while their lawsuit against the Trump administration is pending.

Related Articles


Trump asks the Supreme Court to clear the way for federal downsizing plans


China says US moves on computer chips and student visas ‘seriously violate’ tariffs truce


Supreme Court will consider reviving Republican challenge to Illinois law on mail ballots


RFK Jr. says autism ‘destroys’ families. Here’s what those families want you to know


List of ‘sanctuary jurisdictions’ removed from US government website following criticism

U.S. District Judge Edward Chen in San Francisco ruled Friday that Venezuelans whose Temporary Protected Status was extended to October 2026 are not affected by the Supreme Court’s order and are not eligible for deportation.

The Supreme Court last month gave the go-ahead for the Republican administration to strip TPS from an estimated 350,000 Venezuelans that would have expired in April. In doing so, the court put on hold Chen’s order blocking the administration from revoking protections granted under President Joe Biden.

The justices provided no rationale, which is common in emergency appeals. But they singled out applicants who had received work authorization and other paperwork with new expiration dates of Oct. 2, 2026.

Chen said at a hearing Friday that the justices could have stayed silent as to that subset of people, but didn’t. His court continues to hear the underlying claim that the revocations by Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem were unlawful.

TPS allows people already in the United States to live and work legally because their native countries are deemed unsafe for return due to natural disaster or civil strife.

President Donald Trump promised on the campaign trail to deport millions of people, and in office has sought to dismantle Biden administration policies that expanded paths for migrants to live legally in the U.S.