‘Felt as though they were going to kill me,’ Mahtomedi man beaten and robbed of casino winnings says in court

posted in: All news | 0

A 68-year-old Mahtomedi man told the court Tuesday that he thought he was going to die when two men jumped and robbed him of more than $38,000 cash as he arrived home from a casino.

He had just returned from Treasure Island Resort & Casino one early December morning in 2023 when a red pickup pulled up to his residence in the 700 block of Griffin Court.

Shawn Eric Lewis Jr. and another man got out and “vigorously kicked and punched my head, and my body felt as though they were going to kill me,” the victim said in a statement read in Washington County District Court by Assistant County Attorney Richard Podvin.

Shawn Eric Lewis Jr. (Courtesy of Washington County Sheriff’s Office)

During the attack, the victim’s girlfriend and her niece came out outside. One of them pointed a gun at the women and said, “You two (expletive) better get back inside or I will kill you both,” the girlfriend told the court.

Lewis Jr. was among five men, including his father, who were charged in the robbery. In January, he pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting first-degree aggravated robbery after reaching a plea deal with the prosecution that included dismissing two other charges at Tuesday’s sentencing.

Judge Siv Mjanger followed the plea deal and gave the 38-year-old from Bloomington the agreed-upon 58-month prison sentence, which is the low end of state sentencing guidelines for the offense.

Mjanger denied a downward departure request from Lewis Jr.’s attorney, Chris Zipko, who argued that his client was not brought into the robbery until the end when he was in a dire situation with his fentanyl addiction that was “off the charts” at the time. Zipko said Lewis has completed drug treatment programs while jailed the past year and a half.

In handing down the sentence, Mjanger said the attack and robbery was “an intentional, very, very violent act that could have ended his life. So although I recognize your addiction, I acknowledge it, and I acknowledge your desire to change your life. It is an explanation, but it’s not an excuse for the behavior.”

Cases against the other men remain pending in court.

‘Stalked us’

According to the criminal complaints, the attack happened about 2:15 a.m. Dec. 10, 2023, in the 700 block of Griffin Court. After the men left in the pickup truck, the victim took after them in his own vehicle.

He pulled over and met up with a sheriff’s deputy, while other law enforcement officers pursued and eventually stopped the suspects’ pickup truck near the intersection of Minnesota 36 and White Bear Avenue.

The driver was identified as Deangelo Romaine Jacox, while Lewis Jr. and Tristin Tyler Jacox-Mann were the passengers.

MnDOT highway camera footage showed a red SUV following the victim as he pursued the suspects on Highway 36. Lewis Jr. is the registered owner of the SUV, according to the complaint against him.

The victim later told police that he ran into Philip William Davids Sr., a man he knew from his prior gambling, while at the casino on Dec. 9. He said he believed Davids was following him that night, so he went to the bathroom to try to lose him. Davids followed him into the bathroom and struck up a conversation.

When he left the bathroom, he saw Davids make a phone call. When he left the casino, he saw Davids trying to catch up to him, according to the complaints.

Investigators discovered through analyzing cellphones that Jacox-Mann and Shawn Eric Lewis Sr. had made 20 calls to each other in the hours leading up to and shortly after the robbery.

“Additionally, during the pursuit of the three suspects by law enforcement, Jacox-Mann and (Lewis Sr.) were engaged in additional phone calls,” the complaints state.

The victim also told investigators he previously had seen the red SUV while at a Festival Foods near his home, and that it followed him home.

“Your Honor, the individuals associated with this crime stalked us for over a month before this guy punched and kicked and beat a 68-year-old senior citizen,” the man’s girlfriend told Judge Mjanger on Tuesday in a statement read by the prosecutor.

‘I was like a prey’

The attack victim and his girlfriend sat in the back of the courtroom gallery during the sentencing.

Afterward, the man limped out of the courtroom. In an interview, he said he has multiple health issues from the attack.

“Headaches … my knees are all gone,” he said, then asked not to be identified adding that he remains fearful.

He said law enforcement was able to retrieve the cash stolen from him.

Related Articles


40 St. Paul street lights stripped of copper wiring, though reports are down overall


St. Paul man sentenced to workhouse for throwing fatal ‘sucker punch’ outside East Side bar


1 dead, 5 injured in shooting at Boom Island Park in Minneapolis


Coon Rapids man charged in shooting at UMN after Wayzata graduation


Two shot Friday night outside Mariucci Arena on UMN campus

“But let’s go back to that night,” he said. “I was like a prey. They came out of the vehicle and man, it was like horses out of the gate.”

In October, Jacox, 33, of Coon Rapids, pleaded guilty to fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle. He’s scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 15.

Jacox-Mann, 35, of Golden Valley, is awaiting a July jury trial on charges of aiding and abetting first- and second-degree robbery and aiding and abetting threats of violence.

Lewis Sr., 53, of Minneapolis, pleaded guilty this month to aiding and abetting first-degree robbery and is scheduled to be sentenced July 21.

Davids Sr., 61, of Chisago City, faces the same charge and has a next hearing set for Sept. 26.

Spanish government says housing market is not a ‘free for all’ after recent crackdown on Airbnb

posted in: All news | 0

By SUMAN NAISHADHAM

MADRID (AP) — Spain ‘s government wanted to send a message last month with its crackdown on Airbnb: that the Spanish economy and its housing market are not a “free for all” that value profits over the rule of law, a minister told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Related Articles


Fed lifts restrictions placed on Wells Fargo in 2018 because of its fake-accounts scandal


Education Department says it will not garnish Social Security of student loan borrowers in default


Snack Wrap unwrapped: Here’s why McDonald’s is bringing back a fan favorite on July 10


7 things financial experts wish they knew in high school


Ground is broken for next phase projects at St. Paul’s Highland Bridge

The government ordered Airbnb to remove almost 66,000 holiday rentals from the platform which it said had violated local rules by failing to list license numbers, listing the wrong license number or not specifying the apartment’s owner. Airbnb is appealing the move.

Spain is one of the world’s most visited countries. Last year, the Southern European nation of 49 million received a record 94 million international visitors.

But a housing affordability problem that is particularly acute in cities such as Madrid and Barcelona has led to growing antagonism against short-term holiday rentals. Airbnb is perhaps the best-known and most visible actor.

The Spanish government says the two are related: the rise of Airbnb and other short-term rental companies, and rising rents and housing costs.

“Obviously there is a correlation between these two facts,” Consumer Rights Minister Pablo Bustinduy told the AP. “It’s not a linear relation, it’s not the only factor affecting it, there are many others, but it is obviously one of the elements that is contributing.”

A recent Bank of Spain report said the country has a shortfall of 450,000 homes. In the tourist hot spots of the Canary and Balearic Islands, half the housing stock is tourist accommodations or properties owned by nonresidents, the report said.

“Tourism is for sure a vital part of the Spanish economy. It’s a strategic and very important sector. But as in every other economic activity, it must be conducted in a sustainable way,” Bustinduy said. “It cannot jeopardize the constitutional rights of the Spanish people. Their right to housing, but also their right to well-being.”

The country has seen several large protests that have drawn tens of thousands of people to demand more government action on housing. Homemade signs including one that read “Get Airbnb out of our neighborhoods” at a recent march in Madrid point to the growing anger.

“A balance must be found between the constitutional rights of the Spanish people and economic activities in general,” Bustinduy said.

Regional governments in Spain are also tackling the issue. Last year, Barcelona announced a plan to close down all of the 10,000 apartments licensed in the city as short-term rentals by 2028 to safeguard the housing supply for full-time residents.

Airbnb said that while its appeal goes through the courts, no holiday rentals would be immediately taken down from the site.

In response to Spain’s order, Airbnb has said the platform connects property owners with renters but it doesn’t have oversight obligations, even though it requires hosts to show that they are compliant with local laws.

Bustinduy said Spain’s recent action reflects a desire in Spain, but also elsewhere, to hold tech companies like Airbnb to account.

“There is a battle going on about accountability and about responsibility,” Bustinduy said. “The digital nature of these extraordinarily powerful multinational corporations must not be an excuse to fail to comply with democratically established regulations.”

Bustinduy, who belongs to the governing coalition’s left-wing Sumar party, dismissed the idea that the Spanish government’s action toward Airbnb could discourage some tourists from visiting.

“It will encourage longer stays, it will encourage responsible tourism and it will preserve everything that we have in this wonderful country which is the reason why so many people want to come here,” he said.

The minister also took a shot at low-cost airlines. Spain has pushed against allowing such airlines to charge passengers for hand baggage. Last year, it fined five budget airlines, including RyanAir and easyJet, a total of $179 million for charging for hand luggage.

“The principle behind these actions is always the same: preserving consumer rights,” Bustinduy said. “Powerful corporations, no matter how large, have to adapt their business models to existing regulations.”

Joseph Wilson contributed to this report from Barcelona, Spain.

Mexican girl is granted humanitarian parole to continue receiving lifesaving care in US, lawyers say

posted in: All news | 0

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A 4-year-old Mexican girl who receives lifesaving medical care from a Southern California hospital was granted permission to remain in the country weeks after federal authorities said she could be deported, her family’s attorneys said Tuesday.

Related Articles


Federal lawsuit accusing Peter Navarro of using unofficial email account dropped


Trump asks Congress to claw back billions in approved spending targeted by DOGE


Federal officers in tactical gear went into a Latino community in Minneapolis. A protest followed


Musk calls Trump’s big tax break bill a ‘disgusting abomination,’ testing his influence over the GOP


Federal judge blocks Florida from enforcing social media ban for kids while lawsuit continues

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security granted the girl and her mother humanitarian parole for one year so she can continue to receive treatment she has been getting since arriving at the U.S.-Mexico border in 2023, according to a copy of a letter received by Rebecca Brown, an attorney for the family.

An email message was sent to the Department of Homeland Security seeking comment.

The decision came after the family said they were notified in April and May that their humanitarian parole was being revoked and they would be subject to potential deportation.

The Trump administration has been pushing to dismantle policies from President Joe Biden’s administration that granted temporary legal status for certain migrants and allowed them to live legally in the U.S., generally for two years.

The girl was taken to a hospital upon arriving on at the U.S.-Mexico border with her mother in 2023 and released once she was stable enough. She receives intravenous nutrition through a special backpack for short bowel syndrome, which prevents her from being able to take in and process nutrients on her own, and lawyers said the treatment she receives is necessary at this stage for her to survive and isn’t available in Mexico.

Humanitarian parole, which doesn’t put migrants on a path to U.S. citizenship, was widely used during the Biden administration to alleviate pressure on the U.S.-Mexico southern border. It was previously used on a case-by-case basis to address individual emergencies and also for people fleeing humanitarian crises around the world including Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos during the late 1970s.

In Mexico, the girl was largely confined to a hospital because of her medical condition, according to her mother, Deysi Vargas. After joining a program at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, she can now receive treatment at home in Bakersfield, California, and go to the park and store like other children, Vargas has said.

Lawyers said the girl’s medical treatment, which requires 14 hours a day of intravenous nutrition, will not be necessary indefinitely but that she is not at the point where she could live without it.

Federal lawsuit accusing Peter Navarro of using unofficial email account dropped

posted in: All news | 0

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Justice Department is dropping a lawsuit that it filed against White House trade adviser Peter Navarro, a case in which he was accused of using an unofficial email account for government work and wrongfully retaining presidential records during the first Trump administration, according to a Tuesday court filing.

Related Articles


Trump asks Congress to claw back billions in approved spending targeted by DOGE


Federal officers in tactical gear went into a Latino community in Minneapolis. A protest followed


Musk calls Trump’s big tax break bill a ‘disgusting abomination,’ testing his influence over the GOP


Federal judge blocks Florida from enforcing social media ban for kids while lawsuit continues


Republicans target Nashville’s mayor for his response to immigration arrests

The joint filing by the Justice Department and an attorney for Navarro doesn’t explain why they are abandoning a case that was filed in 2022, during President Joe Biden’s term in office. The one-page filing says each side will bear their own fees and costs.

The lawsuit accused Navarro of using at least one “non-official” email account — a ProtonMail account — to send and receive emails. The legal action comes just weeks after Navarro was indicted on criminal charges after refusing to cooperate with a congressional investigation into the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. Navarro served a four-month prison sentence after being found guilty of misdemeanor charges.

The civil cases alleges that by using the unofficial email account, Navarro failed to turn over presidential records to the National Archives and Records Administration.

The government notified the court of the lawsuit’s dismissal a day before U.S. Magistrate G. Michael Harvey was scheduled to preside over a status conference for the case.

A Justice Department spokesperson declined to comment. A lawyer for Navarro didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment.

Navarro served as a trade adviser during President Donald Trump’s first term. A longtime critic of trade arrangements with China, he has been named senior counselor for trade and manufacturing for Trump’s second administration.