Savannah Guthrie says her family is offering a $1 million reward for her mother’s recovery

posted in: All news | 0

By JOHN SEEWER

“Today” show host Savannah Guthrie said her family is now offering a $1 million reward for information leading to the recovery of her mother, Nancy Guthrie, who went missing from her Arizona home more than three weeks ago.

Related Articles


Robert Carradine, ‘Revenge of the Nerds’ and ‘Lizzie McGuire’ star, dies at 71


House will vote on requiring locator systems that would have prevented Washington midair collision


Utah judge is set to rule on disqualifying prosecutors in the Charlie Kirk case


US military boards third oil tanker in the Indian Ocean after tracking it from the Caribbean


World shares are mixed after heavy selling of potential AI losers hits Wall Street

Savannah Guthrie said Tuesday that her family is still holding out for a miracle and hopes her mother will be found alive, but she also acknowledged that they realize it might be too late. Authorities have expressed concern about Nancy Guthrie’s health because she needs vital daily medicine.

“She may already be gone,” Savannah Guthrie said in an Instagram post. “She may already have gone home to the Lord that she loves and is dancing in heaven.”

Nancy Guthrie, 84, was last seen at her home just outside Tucson, Arizona, on Jan. 31 and was reported missing the next day. Authorities believe she was kidnapped, and the FBI released surveillance videos of a masked man who was outside Guthrie’s front door on the night she vanished.

Drops of her blood were found on the front porch, but authorities haven’t publicly revealed much evidence.

Savannah Guthrie said her family needs to know where her mother is no matter what happened.

A memorial grows outside the home of Nancy Guthrie, the missing mother of “Today” show host Savannah Guthrie, Sunday, Feb. 22, 2026, in Tucson, Ariz. (AP Photo/Felicia Fonseca)

“Someone out there knows something that can bring her home,” she said.

Several hundred people are working the Guthrie investigation, and more than 20,000 tips have been received, the Pima County Sheriff’s Office has said. The FBI and other agencies are assisting.

5 smart ways to diversify your portfolio in 2026

posted in: All news | 0

Susan Dziubinski of Morningstar

Portfolio diversification might sound like a chore, but it’s worth the effort in 2026, given how dominant the artificial intelligence trade was last year. Without some smart diversification, your “just fine” investment portfolio from 2025 may be vulnerable in 2026.

Related Articles


FedEx joins other US companies in seeking a refund after Trump tariffs are ruled illegal


World shares are mixed after heavy selling of potential AI losers hits Wall Street


Home Depot tops expectations in the fourth quarter, but customers pull back on spending


In downtown St. Paul, Aldi seeks permits to move into former Lunds & Byerlys


Mr. Clean retires after 68 years as company mascot

“Investors don’t have to think there’s an AI bubble to be concerned about the concentration risk that AI has wrought,”  says  Morningstar Indexes strategist  Dan Lefkovitz. “Concentration … leaves investors holding a market portfolio less diversified than in the past—by stock, sector, and theme.”

Here are five smart ways to diversify your investment portfolio in 2026.

Diversify your portfolio by rebalancing

Rebalancing is a way of restoring the original level of diversification you established. If you haven’t rebalanced in recent years, your portfolio is likely overweight in US stocks relative to bonds.

“A portfolio that started with a 60% weighting in stocks and 40% in bonds 10 years ago would now contain more than 80% in stocks,” calculates Morningstar portfolio strategist Amy Arnott.

Take a look at your current exposure to international stocks, too: Is it lower than your original target? Probably. “Even though stocks from outside the United States pulled ahead in 2025, that followed on the heels of a long run of outperformance for the US,” says Arnott. “As a result, your portfolio might still be light on international exposure.”

Add bonds for portfolio diversification

Financial professionals often say that investors in accumulation mode with many years until retirement don’t need bonds.

“If you’re over 50, I think you want to be realistic about de-risking a portion of your portfolio,” says Morningstar director of personal finance and retirement planning  Christine Benz. “I like the idea of building a bulwark of safer assets, probably high-quality short- and intermediate-term bonds, plus a little bit of cash.”

In her  model portfolios for retirement savers, Benz suggests a 5% bond allocation for savers with 35-40 years until retirement. That ramps up to a 20% bond weighting once retirement is 20 years out.

And if an investor of any age is looking to diversify a US stock portfolio, bonds—specifically, high-quality bonds—are an excellent choice, says Benz. Even a small position in bonds provides diversification that can dampen volatility in a portfolio.

Allocate to international stocks for diversity

Despite their 2025 revival, the performance of international stocks has still lagged that of US stocks over the past decade. That suggests non-US stocks likely have more gas left in the tank even after their runup last year.

Moreover, non-US stock markets are less tied to technology and the AI trade and thereby provide diversification away from the trend that has driven so much of the US stock market’s return during the past several years.

“Spreading one’s bets across geography can be seen as prudent risk management,” says Lefkovitz. “The US represents just 25% of the global economy but 63% of its stock market value. Given that imbalance, an all-US equity portfolio reflects real home-market bias.”

Boost value and small-cap exposure to diversify

Investors who own a diversified US index fund, whether one tracking the S&P 500 or a total market index, have a decidedly large-cap emphasis in their portfolio. They also have a heady dose of exposure to the AI theme.

To offset some of the concentration risk posed by the US stock market today, investors might consider allocating some assets to smaller companies or value stocks—or diversifying into both via a small-value fund or exchange-traded fund.

“Small-cap value has kind of persistently underperformed the large-cap growth stocks, and I think that arguably there’s a pretty good value there, so investors might do a little bit of repositioning so they’re not so heavily tilted toward those mega-cap growth and technology stocks,” suggests Benz.

Incorporate dividend stocks for variety

Dividend stocks typically cluster in the utilities, consumer, healthcare, industrials, and financials sectors, which often perform well when tech doesn’t. Moreover, they tend to be less volatile than non-dividend-paying stocks, and they possess defensive characteristics, which is a benefit during times of market stress.

There are many strong dividend stock-focused ETFs and funds to choose from, including Schwab US Dividend Equity ETF ( SCHD ) and Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF ( VIG ).

This article was provided to The Associated Press by Morningstar. For more personal finance content, go to https://www.morningstar.com/personal-finance.

Susan Dziubinski is an investment specialist for Morningstar and co-host of “The Morning Filter” podcast.

Links:

Morningstar’s Guide to Portfolio Diversification

https://www.morningstar.com/portfolios/morningstars-guide-portfolio-diversification

The Best Funds to Rebalance Your Portfolio in 2026

https://www.morningstar.com/funds/best-funds-rebalance-your-portfolio-2026

5 Mistakes to Avoid With Your Investment Portfolio in 2026

https://www.morningstar.com/portfolios/5-mistakes-avoid-with-your-investment-portfolio-2026

More Money than Greg

posted in: All news | 0

As of January, the Texas governor had about $105,000,000 sitting in his campaign account. That’s an impressively gargantuan figure, especially so given that he was forced to deplete nearly his entire cash cache four years ago in a reelection fight against two hard-line primary challengers and, then, an equally well-funded Democratic opponent, Beto O’Rourke. 

As Greg Abbott nears the end of three terms, or a dozen years, and sits at the apex of political power in Texas, the one thing that’s known about him is he loves to solicit campaign funds. (Whether it’s a matter of skill or inertia is undetermined.) He has a long callsheet of hundred-millionaire and billionaire buddies. Since Abbott got into state politics in the mid-’90s as a state Supreme Court justice, and later as attorney general on his way to the governor’s mansion, he’s raised roughly half a billion dollars.

Abbott’s warchest, which formally operates as Texans for Greg Abbott, is at this point a political clearinghouse combined with an investment firm. His campaign regularly invests donors’ contributions into U.S. Treasury notes and CDs from banks. (Yes, this is, per the state’s campaign finance laws, legal, so long as the funds are not converted for personal use.) In 2026, Abbott raised about $42 million and purchased more than $30 million in investments—mostly in T-bills. He also earned a return of over $40 million, campaign finance records show. Not bad for a public servant. 

Abbott’s warchest eclipses all other political entities’ in Texas—Tim Dunn’s machine, Dan Patrick’s operation, the major PACs like Texans for Lawsuit Reform, and the measly Texas GOP itself. This fundraising prowess has been built on the burgeoning power of his own office—which just two men have held for practically the entire century. His imperial governorship demands tribute from the state’s capitalist class, which he converts into control over the political party that might put any challengers in power.

Abbott arrives to speak during a 2022 election night party in McAllen. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

The governor’s fortune has obviously protected his own reelections. But increasingly, he’s also wielded that money to expand the realm of his political influence: for instance, using it as a bludgeon to oust GOP legislators at odds with his school voucher agenda; to target any fellow Republican who stands in the way on his vision to “abolish” school property taxes; or to engage in sidequests that—while not a first-order electoral necessity—are more about asserting his dominance and exploiting Dems’ weaknesses. 

While Abbott’s campaign team is known for treating every campaign as a do-or-die race, no matter the strength of the opponent, his overflowing coffers also allow him to explore other avenues. Most notably this cycle in Harris County, the largest pillar of Democrats’ state power. 

In November, he began teasing his plan to make flipping Harris County his top priority, committing to spend at least $25 million of his campaign cash on the initiative. “I’m going to spend most of [my campaign funds] in Harris County, Texas, to make sure, precinct by precinct, we turn out voters who voted in the presidential election, turn out voters who never voted before,” Abbott said. “We got to win Harris County and make Harris County dark red.”

Abbott has repeatedly singled out Houston and Harris County, now even a greater bête noire than Austin it seems, in the broader legislative fight over state supremacy and local control, and he appears to be accelerating that battle with threats to take over local elections administration from county officials. 

Home to one of every six Texans, the county has trended blue in the past two decades and solidified as such in 2016. Abbott narrowly carried it in 2014, but he since lost the county decisively in the past two gubernatorial contests. However, Democrats have suffered declining margins there, to a limited extent in 2022 and to a panic-inducing degree in 2024, while Republicans have poured more and more money into downballot races. In ’24, GOP PACs spent millions to successfully flip key judicial seats, as Dems held on by a hair to the county judgeship and the DA’s office. Kamala Harris carried the county by a mere 5 points.

Abbott’s 2026 goals include ousting all of the seven Democratic state reps who hold office in Harris County. While he certainly won’t topple them all, this sort of grandiose goal has become a hallmark of his campaign strategy—one focused less on winning his own campaigns and more on expanding the Overton window of red Texas. As usual, his longtime political consigliere Dave Carney is the one stirring the cauldron: “We have more than enough voters in Harris County to win,” Carney has projected

This mirrors similar electoral objectives that Abbott set out for himself ahead of previous reelections. In 2022, he vowed to win more than half of the Hispanic vote in Texas. While he failed in that lofty goal, his machine helped to facilitate electoral shifts in South Texas that have sent Democrats reeling. Exit polling from 2024 showed Donald Trump handily winning the Texas Latino vote.

After Abbott easily swatted away O’Rourke’s ’22 governor bid, when the El Paso Democrat actually was able to compete dollar for dollar, there was a short line of Dem challengers, even in what’s expected to be a blue-wave year, this time around. His likely opponent, Austin state Representative Gina Hinojosa, reported $1.3 million in fundraising since she launched her campaign late last year ($300,000 of that being a loan from herself and her husband). 

By comparison, as the Texas Tribune noted, Abbott hauled in more than that from a single donor: Javaid Anwar, a Midland oilman who has quietly become the governor’s largest benefactor. Like many of Abbott’s largest contributors, Anwar is a gubernatorial appointee, in this case to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. He has also, like other big donors, financed private jet travel for the governor and his entourage—in Anwar’s case, covering the travel costs to a UT football game at Ohio State in August. 

And Abbott has many more megadonors, who comprise the largest titans of industry in Texas (and, in some cases, other states). More than 40 individuals, couples, or entities have given Governor Abbott $1 million-plus, with several dozen more in the high six figures. For every Javaid Anwar, there are a few Kelcy Warrens, the pipeline mogul who first cut a $1 million check after the devastating winter storm of 2021. 

As for Texas Democrats, beyond George Soros and the fickle whims of the national Democratic apparatus, they can’t count on anywhere near that degree of big-money support. In recent cycles, more than enough money has funneled into O’Rourke and Colin Allred in the latter’s 2024 Senate bid—all to no avail. But there’s no warlord like Abbott, secure in his own position, to strategically divvy up the excess patronage. The cash essentially dried up after the ballot’s top slot. The Soros-backed Texas Majority PAC, which is attempting to play a role along these lines, has yet to bear fruit.

Money isn’t everything in politics. But an almost unlimited ability to collect it, paired with the discretion to dispatch it at will, is certainly something Democrats will continue to struggle against—for however many years, or decades, Abbott hangs on to power.

The post More Money than Greg appeared first on The Texas Observer.

FedEx joins other US companies in seeking a refund after Trump tariffs are ruled illegal

posted in: All news | 0

By MICHELLE CHAPMAN, AP Business Writer

FedEx is suing the U.S. government, requesting a full refund on what it paid for tariffs set by President Donald Trump last year after the Supreme Court ruled that the tariffs are illegal.

Related Articles


World shares are mixed after heavy selling of potential AI losers hits Wall Street


Home Depot tops expectations in the fourth quarter, but customers pull back on spending


In downtown St. Paul, Aldi seeks permits to move into former Lunds & Byerlys


Mr. Clean retires after 68 years as company mascot


Small-town Minnesota wine gets international attention

FedEx said in a filing with the U.S. Court of International Trade that they have “suffered injury” from having to pay the tariffs and that the relief they’re seeking from the court would redress those injuries.

Other companies have already launched efforts to recoup costs from the illegal tariffs, including large U.S. corporations like Costco and Revlon.

The National Retail Federation said in a statement on Friday that the Supreme Court’s ruling provided certainty for U.S. businesses and manufacturers.

“We urge the lower court to ensure a seamless process to refund the tariffs to U.S. importers,” it said. “The refunds will serve as an economic boost and allow companies to reinvest in their operations, their employees and their customers.”

The Supreme Court struck down President Donald Trump’s far-reaching global tariffs on Friday. Trump said he was “absolutely ashamed” of some justices who ruled 6-3 against him, calling them “disloyal to our Constitution” and “lapdogs.” At one point he even raised the specter of foreign influence without citing any evidence.

The court’s ruling found tariffs that Trump imposed under an emergency powers law were unconstitutional, including the sweeping “reciprocal” tariffs he levied on nearly every other country.

The Treasury had collected more than $133 billion from the import taxes the president has imposed under the emergency powers law as of December, federal data shows. The impact over the next decade has been estimated at some $3 trillion.

President Donald Trump leaves after an event to proclaim “Angel Family Day” in the East Room of the White House, Monday, Feb. 23, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Trump has vowed to collect tariffs through other means. He reached for a stopgap option immediately after his defeat Friday at the Supreme Court: Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974 allows the president to impose tariffs of up to 15% for up to 150 days. But any extension beyond 150 days must be approved by a Congress likely to balk at passing a tax increase as November’s midterm elections loom.