Airlines adopt software fix for Airbus A320 after plane has sudden altitude drop

posted in: All news | 0

By AUDREY McAVOY

An aircraft heavily used by commercial airlines around the world needs a software fix to address an issue that contributed to a sudden drop in altitude of a JetBlue plane last month, the manufacturer and European aviation safety regulators said Friday.

Related Articles


Dakota County will host US’s first international horticultural expo


Fleet of UPS planes grounded after deadly crash expected to miss peak delivery season


Thieves are stealing keyless cars in minutes. Here’s how to protect your vehicle


Spirit, Frontier offer steep air travel discounts in Black Friday dogfight


Snapchat is nearing 1 billion monthly users. Why can’t it turn a profit?

The step may result in some flight delays as U.S. travelers return home from the Thanksgiving holidays.

Airbus said an analysis of the JetBlue incident revealed intense solar radiation may corrupt data critical to the functioning of flight controls on the A320 family of aircraft.

The European Union Aviation Safety Agency issued a directive requiring operators of the A320 to address the issue. The agency said this may cause “short-term disruption” to flight schedules.

American Airlines was among the carriers addressing the order. It’s begun identifying and completing the software update and expects the work on the vast majority of its A320 planes to be completed Friday and Saturday. The fix should take about two hours for many aircraft, American said.

The airline expects some delays but it said it’s focused on limiting cancellations as customers return home from Thanksgiving holiday travel. It said safety would be its overriding priority.

American has about 480 planes from the A320 family. About 340 of them were identified as requiring the software replacement but American believes the actual number will be fewer.

Delta said it expected the issue to affect less than 50 of its A321neo aircraft. United said it wasn’t affected.

At least 15 JetBlue passengers were injured and taken to the hospital after the Oct. 30 incident on board the flight from Cancun, Mexico, to Newark, New Jersey. The plane was diverted to Tampa, Florida.

Airbus is registered in the Netherlands but has its main headquarters in France.

Trump says he plans to pardon former Honduran President Hernandez for 2024 drug trafficking sentence

posted in: All news | 0

By JOSH BOAK

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (AP) — President Donald Trump said Friday that he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who in 2024 was convicted for drug trafficking and weapons charges and sentenced to 45 years in prison.

Related Articles


Bodycam footage from Operation Midway Blitz released: ‘It’s all about arresting people’


Long-awaited $3.6B in heating assistance released to states and tribes


Trump says he wants to ‘permanently pause’ migration to the US from poorer countries


Colorado doesn’t plan to transfer imprisoned former county clerk to federal custody


Higher fees for foreigners visiting US national parks stokes tourism concerns

The president explained his decision on social media by posting that “according to many people that I greatly respect,” Hernandez was “treated very harshly and unfairly.”

In March of last year, Hernandez was convicted in U.S. court of conspiring to import cocaine into the U.S.A. He had served served two terms as the leader of the Central American nation of roughly 10 million people.

The post was part of a broader message by Trump backing Tito Asfura for Honduras’ presidency, with Trump saying the U.S. would be supportive of the country if he wins. But if Asfura loses the election this Sunday, Trump posted that “the United States will not be throwing good money after bad, because a wrong Leader can only bring catastrophic results to a country, no matter which country it is.”

Outgoing Honduran President Xiomara Castro has leaned into a leftist stance, but she has kept a pragmatic and even cooperative attitude in dealing with the U.S. administration and she has received visits from Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem and U.S. Army Gen. Laura Richardson, when she was the commander of U.S. Southern Command. The president has even backed off his threats to end Honduras’ extradition treaty and military cooperation with the U.S.

Under Castro, Honduras has also received its citizens deported from the U.S. and acted as a bridge for deported Venezuelans who were then picked up by Venezuela in Honduras.

Faceoffs the focus as Nico Sturm gets up to speed

posted in: All news | 0

Other than a post-overtime shootout, pitting skater versus goalie, perhaps nowhere is hockey more a game of man-on-man skill than in the faceoff circle. In fact, his historical prowess at winning possession when the puck is dropped is one of the primary reasons the Wild re-acquired center Nico Sturm over the summer.

Last season, split between the Sharks and the Panthers — where he won his second career Stanley Cup — Sturm won 58.8 percent of his faceoffs. And starting with possession of the puck, especially on defensive zone faceoffs, can be a huge advantage.

After returning from back surgery for the Wild’s game in Winnipeg, Sturm went back to his natural place, taking faceoffs for the Wild. And while he has a goal to his credit already, tipping a third-period shot in Minnesota’s Thanksgiving Eve overtime win in Chicago, Sturm acknowledged that he is taking some time getting up to speed in the faceoff circle.

Entering Friday’s afternoon meeting with the Avalanche, Sturm had won 4 of 16 draws he had taken versus the Jets and Blackhawks, and the 25 percent clip was far below what he expected for himself.

“I think physicality, tempo, skating-wise actually pretty good,” he said when asked for a self-assessment following the Chicago game. “The circle right now is tough; the timing is just so hard. I think I’ve gotten kicked out ten times in these two games.”

In hockey, the home team’s center has a slight advantage, as the visiting team center has to have his stick on the ice first. Perhaps it’s in part because his first two games this season have been on the road, or a lack of practice having missed one-fourth of the season, but Sturm is working to get his groove back in the circle.

“It’s just so hard to get the timing right and guys have probably taken 300 draws already this season, so it’s kind of hard to get in there,” said Sturm, who also comes with a reputation as a penalty killer. “But that will come. I’m not too worried about that. The (penalty) kill obviously has been good, I think a pretty seamless transition. I’m glad I found some areas today where I could help with the team.”

After he got on the board in Chicago at a key time, Sturm’s coach had no complaints about his contributions.

“I think it was a big difference-maker,” John Hynes said of Sturm’s tying goal early in the third period. “We didn’t get much done on the power play. We came out and found a way to score. I think it continued to give us some life.”

Sturm, 30, began his NHL career in Minnesota in 2019 after playing college hockey at Clarkson. After spending time with Colorado, San Jose and Florida, he returned to the Wild last summer, signing a two-year contract worth $4 million. He was injured on the first day of training camp and had back surgery to fix the problem.

Foligno the Wild’s latest injury loss

In the third period of Wednesday’s win in Chicago, veteran forward Marcus Foligno left the game. He was favoring his left leg after getting tied up in the defensive zone with Blackhawks rookie Oliver Moore, who skated with the Gophers last season.

On Friday the Wild announced that Foligno has been placed on injured reserve and is considered week-to-week with a lower body injury. While the team has been winning, their roster of forwards on injured reserve has been growing. As of Friday, Foligno joined Marco Rossi, Vinnie Hinostroza and Vladimir Tarasenko on the injured list, all with lower body ailments.

On Thursday, the Wild called up Nicolas Aube-Kubel from Iowa, and their initial Friday afternoon line chart had Aube-Kubel at left wing on the team’s third line versus the Avalanche. But they got some good news when Ryan Hartman took the ice for warmups, reactivated off injured reserve on Friday.

Hartman had missed the previous four games with a lower body injury.

In a corresponding move, the Wild reassigned Aube-Kubel to Iowa on Friday afternoon. Foligno had played all but one of Minnesota’s first 25 games, recording two assists.

Related Articles


Wild escape Chicago with OT win after Blackhawks dominate early


Marcus Johansson has become Minnesota’s holiday bargain


Yakov Trenin returning to form as NHL’s top hitman


Mats Zuccarello’s impact hard to miss at Wild surge continues


Wally is a Wall, as Wild blank Jets

St. Paul: Plans in the works to honor Gordon Parks

posted in: All news | 0

Nearly 20 years after his death, photographer, filmmaker, author and activist Gordon Parks continues to inspire others and now legislative funding will help make plans to honor him a reality.

With his “American Gothic” looking over his shoulder, photographer Gordon Parks gestures while speaking at the Corcoran Gallery in Washington Tuesday Sept. 9, 1997 during the opening of an exhibit of his works. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

Rep. Samakab Hussein, DFL-St. Paul, and Sen. Foung Hawj, DFL-St. Paul, on Sunday will announce legislative appropriations to commemorate Parks who began his photography career in St. Paul. Funds are allocated through the legacy finance bill authored by Husssein and Hawj and approved by Gov. Tim Walz in May.

“We’re really excited that the state of Minnesota is honoring and finally saying that the legacy of Gordon Parks is so important to the state,” said Parks’ grandniece Robin Hickman-Winfield. “Honoring and celebrating his life and legacy is important to the state of Minnesota.”

Hickman-Winfield said it’s been a long journey to getting the resources for a memorial for her uncle.

While plans for the memorial are still in development, Hickman-Winfield, Landmark Center Executive Director Amy Mino and others have discussed possibly having a statue of Parks in the Landmark Plaza.

They have wanted the memorial to be surrounded by “the footsteps of Uncle Gordon,” Hickman-Winfield said. That includes sites such as The St. Paul Hotel where he worked as a waiter and the Frank Murphy women’s clothing store in The Lowry Building that hired a young Parks to take some of the photos that helped start his career.

Parks would return to St. Paul in the 1990s to perform with a symphony orchestra at Landmark Center.

“So, his stomping ground where he worked, where he walked, surrounded Landmark Plaza. So for him to stand there, to take his rightful place (in) downtown St. Paul … .that’s why we selected that place,” Hickman-Winfield said.

Hickman-Winfield, Mino, Kevin Lindsey, chief executive officer of the Minnesota Humanities Center, Parks Legacy Initiative Partnership members and other community members and legislative leaders will attend Sunday’s announcement, which will take place on the birthday of Parks, who was born in 1912.

Hussein serves as the co-vice chair of the House Legacy Finance Committee and Hawj is the chair of the Senate Environment, Climate and Legacy Committee and one of the authors of the appropriations bill.

Hussein said the project will uplift a cultural voice.

“This is a part of the art and cultural funding,” Hussein said. “And we are proud that we are putting his statue and his legacy in downtown St. Paul so kids and families and people from Minnesota can leave with his life’s legacy and what he has done.”

Related Articles


St. Paul exhibit pairs works by Gordon Parks and photographer he inspired


Gordon Parks still inspires at St. Paul school that bears his name


Star of 1969 film ‘The Learning Tree’ dedicates tree at school that bears Gordon Parks’ name


Celebrate Gordon Parks with two of his films, a documentary, remarks by actors who knew him

Parks got his start with photography taking pictures at Frank Murphy’s clothing store. He would go on to shoot fashion for Vogue, capture scenes of poverty for Life and images of segregation for the Farm Security Administration. He also was a composer and the first Black director at a major Hollywood studio.

To view Gordon Park’s photography and learn more about his career go to gordonparksfoundation.org.