US national park gift shops ordered to purge merchandise promoting DEI

posted in: All news | 0

By SUSAN MONTOYA BRYAN and DORANY PINEDA, Associated Press

The Trump administration is expanding its crackdown on diversity, equity and inclusion by ordering national parks to purge their gift shops of items it deems objectionable.

The Interior Department said in a memo last month that gift shops, bookstores and concession stands have until Dec. 19 to empty their shelves of retail items that run afoul of President Donald Trump’s agenda.

Related Articles


US sanctions Venezuelan President Maduro’s 3 nephews as pressure campaign ratchets up


The Senate voted down dueling health proposals. Here’s what’s at stake for Americans


Treasury Secretary Bessent calls for looser regulations for the US financial system


Noem links the seizure of an oil tanker off Venezuela to US antidrug efforts


Senators seek to change bill that allows military to operate just like before the DC plane crash

The agency said its goal is to create “neutral spaces that serve all visitors.” It’s part of a broader initiative the Trump administration has pursued over the last year to root out policies and programs it says discriminate against people based on race, gender and sexual orientation — an effort that has led some major corporations and prominent universities to roll back diversity programs.

Conservation groups say the gift shop initiative amounts to censorship and undermines the National Park Service’s educational mission. But conservative think tanks say taxpayer-funded spaces shouldn’t be allowed to advance ideologies they say are divisive.

Employees of the park service and groups that manage national park gift shops say it’s not clear what items will be banned. They didn’t want to speak on the record for fear of retribution.

Items for sale are on display at the museum store at Independence National Historical Park, Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2025, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

A debate over what’s acceptable for park gift shops

“Our goal is to keep National Parks focused on their core mission: preserving natural and cultural resources for the benefit of all Americans,” the Interior Department said in a statement. The agency said it wants to ensure parks’ gift shops “do not promote specific viewpoints.”

Alan Spears, the senior director for cultural resources at the National Parks Conservation Association, said removing history books and other merchandise from gift shops amounts to “silencing science and hiding history,” and does not serve the interests of park visitors.

Other groups called the review of gift shops a waste of resources at a time of staffing shortages, maintenance backlogs and budget issues.

Stefan Padfield, a former law professor who now works with a conservative think tank in Washington, said there is no way to defend the government’s promotion of “radical and divisive” ideologies through the sale of books and other items, though he said the challenge for the Trump administration will be in deciding what is acceptable and what isn’t.

“Now, are there going to be instances of the correction overshooting? Are there going to be difficult line-drawing exercises in gray areas? Absolutely,” said Padfield, the executive director of the Free Enterprise Project at the National Center for Public Policy Research.

Keisha Burse looks at items for sale at Martin Luther King Jr. National Historical Park, Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2025, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Megan Varner)

The order is open to interpretation

All items for sale at parks and online are supposed to be reviewed for neutrality. That includes books, T-shirts, keychains, magnets, patches and even pens.

But the memo issued by a senior Interior Department official didn’t give any examples of items that could no longer be sold, leaving the order open to interpretation. No training sessions have been offered to park service employees.

Some parks had already completed their reviews, finding nothing to add to the list.

On display this week at Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia were items featuring Frederick Douglass. At the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historical Park store in Atlanta, there were various books on the Civil Rights Movement and a book for children about important Black women in U.S. history. For sale online was a metal token for the Belmont-Paul Women’s Equality National Monument.

There already is a thorough process for vendors to get merchandise into national park stores. Items are vetted for their educational value and to ensure they align with the themes of the park or historical site.

Items for sale are displayed at Martin Luther King Jr. National Historical Park, Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2025, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Megan Varner)

National parks in the spotlight

The park service in recent weeks faced criticism when it stopped offering free admission to visitors on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Juneteenth, while extending the benefit to U.S. residents on Flag Day, which also happens to be Trump’s birthday next year.

Earlier this year, the Interior Department’s ordered parks to flag signs, exhibits and other materials it said disparaged Americans. That order sparked debate about books related to Native American history and a photograph at a Georgia park that showed the scars of a formerly enslaved man.

In one of his executive orders, Trump said the nation’s history was being unfairly recast through a negative lens. Instead, he wants to focus on the positive aspects of America’s achievements, along with the beauty and grandeur of its landscape.

Mikah Meyer knows that beauty well after a three-year road trip to visit all 419 national park sites. He said part of the mission of his travels, which he shared on social media and in a documentary, was to illustrate that parks are welcoming to the LGBTQ+ community.

That message aligns with his business, Outside Safe Space, which at its peak was selling stickers and pins featuring a tree with triangle-shaped, rainbow-colored branches to more than 20 associations that operated multiple park stores. His items started to be pulled from some stores after the executive orders were issued earlier this year.

“How is banning these items supporting freedom of speech?” Meyer said.

Keisha Burse looks at items for sale at Martin Luther King Jr. National Historical Park, Tuesday, Dec. 9, 2025, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Megan Varner)

US sanctions Venezuelan President Maduro’s 3 nephews as pressure campaign ratchets up

posted in: All news | 0

By FATIMA HUSSEIN, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. imposed sanctions on three nephews of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, among others, on Thursday as President Donald Trump looks to inflict further pressure on the South American nation.

The new sanctions on Franqui Flores, Carlos Flores and Efrain Campo come a day after Trump announced that the U.S. had seized an oil tanker off the coast of Venezuela. Also included in the sanctions are six firms accused of transporting Venezuelan oil.

Related Articles


US national park gift shops ordered to purge merchandise promoting DEI


The Senate voted down dueling health proposals. Here’s what’s at stake for Americans


Treasury Secretary Bessent calls for looser regulations for the US financial system


Noem links the seizure of an oil tanker off Venezuela to US antidrug efforts


Senators seek to change bill that allows military to operate just like before the DC plane crash

A Treasury official confirmed the sanctions on condition of anonymity ahead of the official announcement later Thursday.

The sanctions are meant to deny them access to any property or financial assets held in the U.S., and the penalties are intended to prevent U.S. companies and citizens from doing business with them. Banks and financial institutions that violate that restriction expose themselves to sanctions or enforcement actions.

This is not the first time Maduro’s family has been involved in a political tit-for-tat.

In October 2022, Venezuela freed seven imprisoned Americans in exchange for the United States releasing Flores and Campo, who had been jailed for years on narcotics convictions.

The U.S.’s latest actions against Venezuela follow a series of deadly strikes the U.S. has conducted on alleged drug-smuggling boats in the Caribbean Sea and eastern Pacific Ocean, which have killed at least 87 people since early September.

Trump has justified the attacks as a necessary escalation to stem the flow of drugs into the United States and asserted the U.S. is engaged in an “armed conflict” with drug cartels.

St. Paul: Development Corp. buys vacant Empire Building, Endicott Arcade

posted in: All news | 0

The nonprofit St. Paul Downtown Development Corporation has bought another troubled downtown structure — the Empire Building, a vacant seven-floor office building at 360 N. Robert St., as well as the single-level Endicott Arcade property at 134 Fifth St., which sits adjacent to it.

The purchase price was practically a steal at $745,000 and “fully funded by private investment,” according to a written statement from the Downtown Development Corporation. “No public funds were required to secure the property.” The full financial details behind the transaction were not disclosed.

Cushman and Wakefield will serve as property manager. The recent owner of the Empire Building was listed in tax records as the Merchants Bank National Association of Hastings, and the owner of the Endicott Arcade was listed as Empire Building LLC, which shares the same address as Madison Equities, a major downtown property owner that put nine downtown structures on the market together en masse more than a year ago.

Over the past year, Madison Equities has lost or unloaded multiple buildings through sales, foreclosures, condemnations and court-ordered receiverships, and several of its most prominent downtown properties sit vacant or heavily underused. The 25-story U.S. Bank Center at 101 E. 5th St., which is about 25% occupied, is scheduled to go to online auction next Monday, with a $1 million starting bid.

Vacant for years, the 55,000 square foot Empire Building includes 12,000 square feet of ground-level commercial and retail space. The Endicott Arcade, also vacant, is about 13,000 square feet.

The Downtown Alliance, which published its “Downtown Investment Strategy” in March 2024, has made it a goal to better connect Mears Park to Rice Park and either reactivate or remove vacant properties along potential promenades that have become unsightly because of boarded-up and underused spaces. Fifth Street connects nearly all of downtown’s major civic spaces, from the Grand Casino Arena to CHS Field, with the two parks in between.

Downtown Development Corporation President Dave Higgins said, in a statement, that the aim is to activate “a key block along 5th Street and begin connecting the areas of strength in downtown to its core. Our goal is to bring new opportunities to the area and create more reasons for people to want to live, work and visit downtown St. Paul.”

Led by Securian, Ecolab and other downtown employers in cooperation with City Hall, the Downtown Alliance launched the Downtown Development Corporation more than a year ago. Since then, it has acquired the Alliance Bank Center and the condemned Capital City Plaza parking ramp, which adjoins it.

Related Articles


In downtown St. Paul, world’s largest hockey puck seeks sponsors


St. Paul Chamber Orchestra announces balanced budget


Headliners announced for third annual Minnesota Yacht Club Festival


St. Paul: New Mississippi River height limits, building rules coming


What should St. Paul Mayor-elect Kaohly Her focus on in 2026?

The Downtown Development Corporation has launched an online survey, the first part of its community engagement plan and “Reimagine Downtown St. Paul: Transforming the Core” initiative. The survey closes Jan. 31. More information is online at downtownstpaul.com/reimagine and downtownstpaul.com/ddc.

Quarterback Drake Lindsey will return to Gophers for 2026 season

posted in: All news | 0

The biggest building block of the Gophers football program will return for the 2026 season. Quarterback Drake Lindsey told the Go Gopher Podcast he will return for his redshirt sophomore season next year.

“There was no doubt in my mind, and I’m really excited to come back for another year here,” Lindsey told host Mike Grimm this week.

Lindsey said he got “my stuff done” — a reference to a revenue sharing contract and a Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) deal — with the Gophers and its Dinkytown Athletes collective soon after the 17-7 win over Wisconsin for Paul Bunyan’s Axe on Nov. 29.

“They took care of me, and it’s really not even about that,” Lindsey said on the podcast. “It’s just about being in the right system. I really feel like I’m getting developed here and I think that’s the main thing because the ultimate goal is to take this place to new heights and play in the NFL. I’m focused on now and the bowl game and we will get ready for ’26 and attempt to take the Gophers somewhere where they haven’t been.”

Going into the Rate Bowl against New Mexico on Dec. 26, the first-time starting QB has completed 63% of his passes (228 for 361) for 2,235 yards, 16 touchdowns and six interceptions in all 12 games this year.

“I really feel like I took a huge step this year,” Lindsey told Grimm. “When I look back from freshman year to now I see huge increases in every part of my life, not just football. Having another year or two or three under these coaches and this place, I really thing I can grow and be a really good quarterback and a really good person.”

Lindsey had a four-career TD game in the loss at Northwestern on Nov. 22 and led game-tying or game-winning drives against Rutgers, Purdue and Michigan State earlier in the season. He had learning moments in the 41-3 loss to Iowa and in tough road defeats at Ohio State and Oregon.

Looking ahead to next year, Lindsey will lose No. 1 target Le’Meke Brockington, but should have his No. 2-4 pass-catching options in receivers Javon Tracy, Jalen Smith and running back Darius Taylor for him to use.

Related Articles


Gophers football: P.J. Fleck rants about one specific aspect of his job


Gophers running back Fame Ijeboi plans to enter transfer portal


Gophers next? Minnesota Duluth TE Luke Dehnicke making jump to DI


Gophers football: P.J. Fleck shares why he fired U’s defensive line coach


Gophers football: New Mexico will be a challenge in the Rate Bowl