Why did J.J. McCarthy struggle throwing to Justin Jefferson?

posted in: All news | 0

With the Vikings comfortably ahead of the Green Bay Packers last weekend, quarterback J.J. McCarthy threw a swing pass to star receiver Justin Jefferson for a short gain.

What looked like a rather innocuous play at the time ended up being the final snap McCarthy took in a season defined by its endless stream of ups and downs.

Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson (18) runs past Green Bay Packers linebacker Jamon Johnson (48) on his way to a 1000 yards for the season in the second quarter of an NFL game at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on Sunday, Jan 4, 2026. (John Autey / Pioneer Press)

As soon as Jefferson got tackled, McCarthy signaled to the sideline, then left the game for good. He had been working through a small hairline fracture in his right hand and said after the game that he was worried about his ability to grip the ball.

“It killed me to pull myself out,” McCarthy said. “I’ve never done that before.”

The fact that McCarthy’s final throw went to Jefferson is almost poetic in that it perfectly encapsulates 1) the meat they feel was left on the bone this season and 2) the strides they hope to take together in the future.

“There’s so much room for us to grow by very simply throwing more routes together,” McCarthy said. “I love hanging out with him off the field, too. So, we’ll get really close there and be ready to go.”

Jefferson finished the season with 84 receptions for 1,048 yards and a pair of touchdowns, subpar by his standards. And that doesn’t sit right with him.

“We’re going to go to work,” Jefferson said. “That connection is going to grow more and more and more as we continue on.”

In the season finale, McCarthy seemed determined to get Jefferson the ball as much as possible. Asked if there was a throw from the game that he was most proud of, McCarthy highlighted a 12-yard completion to Jefferson on which he rolled to his right and fired downfield.

“That’s something we’ve been working on,” McCarthy said. “Just trust that he’s going to make the play if I put it to the spot.”

There seemed to be a lack of chemistry between McCarthy and Jefferson throughout the season. That partially stemmed from the fact that Jefferson missed most of training camp with strained hamstring.

“It impacted it,” Jefferson said. “Just because it’s less time to connect with each other.”

It was noticeable on the field as Jefferson averaged only 53.7 receiving yards per game with McCarthy as the starter. That also doesn’t include the pair of games that McCarthy left early due to a hairline fracture in his right hand.

Not that Jefferson seems too concerned about their connection in the long term. He’s been McCarthy’s biggest defender at times, and seems to have faith in the young signal caller’s potential.

“We need to get J.J. out of the real small bad habits that he had,” Jefferson said. “He’s still young. He still has room to grow. He still has time to blossom as a quarterback.”

Though he acknowledged that he has a lot of room to improve physically, mentally and emotionally, McCarthy maintained that his confidence was never shaken amid his struggles.

“I feel like confidence is something that’s innate,” McCarthy said. “You can’t let external factors shake it because then that’s not confidence.”

That mentality from McCarthy is easy for Jefferson to appreciate because that’s how the star receiver carries himself every time he steps on the field.

“He’s our guy right now,” Jefferson said. “My job is to connect with him during the offseason and get him to where we need to go.”

Related Articles


Can the Vikings afford to keep these players long term? They have to try.


Ranking the five plays that cost the Vikings a shot at the playoffs


Mizutani: J.J. McCarthy isn’t the franchise quarterback the Vikings promised


PFF grades from the Vikings’ win over the Packers: J.J. McCarthy didn’t finish the game


Takeaways from the Vikings’ 16-3 win over the Packers

Arne Carlson, et al: Let’s take the road to excellence, Minnesota

posted in: All news | 0

Aside from the obvious, Governor Tim Walz’s decision to forgo a third term gives him the opportunity to focus entirely on the road ahead without the constraints of partisan considerations. We are now a month away from the opening of our next legislative session, and there is an absence of discussion relative to where we are going.

Both nationally and in Minnesota , there has been a shift away from intelligent discussion of public policy to endless partisan warfare with a deadening impact on the public. Just consider this: Only 17% of Americans trust their government and 85% do not believe elected officials care about “what people like them think” (Pew Research).

The upcoming State of the State speech gives Walz a unique opportunity to set a new tone in Minnesota. One that minimizes partisan conflict and builds partnerships for success. While the fraud controversy dominates, it is imperative to restore competence and integrity, and a first step would be to work with our state’s business community and create another LEAP (Loaned Executive Action Program) whereby business experts work with the state’s management to improve efficiency and competency, as was done by Gov. Wendell Anderson in the 1970s.

A necessary second step is to restore honesty to state government, and this means the abolition of legislative caucus fundraising, which involves the granting of special favors to wealthy donors as outlined in a University of Minnesota study released in May, 2021. Among those favors is the opportunity for special interests to “shape” legislation. This is both corrupt and illegal.

Gov. Walz can utilize the upcoming State of the State speech to bring Minnesotans together and restore both competence and honesty to our governance.

A bit of history may be helpful. Our Constitution requires the governor to report to the Legislature on the condition of the state, although it does not specify content or time. Gov. Harold LeVander, in 1969, transformed that minor happening into the dominant political event of the year by bringing all three branches of government together and, with all the appropriate pomp and formality, having the governor deliver a true State of the State speech outlining a clear vision for Minnesota’s future. Television and radio carried the message statewide while newspapers analyzed it in depth. That moment helped the public understand that principled policy inevitably produced good politics. And, perhaps, its greatest strength was that it focused on the betterment of Minnesota.

This attention to quality of life, captured in the State of the State address, helped rally Minnesotans around common goals.

On August 13, 1973, TIME magazine featured a smiling Gov. Wendell Anderson in a red lumber jacket, proudly holding a freshly caught fish against a sparkling Minnesota lake. Across the cover was the headline, “The Good Life in Minnesota”, and inside was a story titled, “The State That Works”, which praised Anderson’s leadership and the spirit of Minnesota governance during a time when the nation was mired in the Watergate scandal. Specifically cited were clean government, educational funding reforms (the “Minnesota Miracle”), low dropout rates, and open governance.

That success was no accident. It came from a meaningful partnership with leaders from business, labor, academia, media, the arts, non-profits and government all working together toward shared goals.

A key catalyst was the governor’s State of the State Address, which served as our roadmap to a better tomorrow. For the next 40-plus years, it compelled the political system to elevate public policy above partisanship and vision above cynicism.

Sadly, that focus has faded. The timing of the address has drifted into March or April, and, too often, it serves little purpose beyond partisan theater. This decline reflects a deeper erosion in that it has created a culture of mediocrity that has seeped into too many corners of our government and weakened our collective will to improve.

Today, Minnesota must once again choose the Road to Excellence, and that begins with the governor delivering a substantive and unifying State of the State Address at the opening of the legislative session. This would involve defining a vision that brings Minnesota together and fully committed to betterment.

As Robert Frost reminded us, two roads diverge before us. One sustains the status quo; the other requires courage, clarity and commitment. Let us take the road to excellence — and make all the difference.

Arne Carlson, a former Independent Republican governor of Minnesota, wrote this column on behalf of himself, retired DFL legislators Tom Berkelman of Duluth and Janet Entzel of Minneapolis and Duke Skorich, president of Zenith Research, Duluth.

Related Articles


Real World Economics: Geography, topography shaped our prosperity


Skywatch: Orion, the main player


Your Money: A simple financial health check for any age


Working Strategies: Resolutions anymore? anyone? Anyone?


Letters: A minority of Somalis have brought shame to our community

Here’s when you can get into all national parks free in 2026

posted in: All news | 0

It’s getting pretty darn pricey to get into a national park these days — at least one that charges admission — but if you plan ahead, you can visit on one of the annual days that don’t charge fees. This can save you $50 or even more, but it’s a good idea to plan in advance.

For starters, I strongly recommend getting yourself out of bed before sunrise (c’mon, you can do it) so you arrive at the park before it gets crowded. This means a beautiful, uncrowded drive watching the sun come up and an easy hunt for parking, plus hiking trails with hardly anyone else around.

Then, when the thundering hordes start arriving to take advantage of the free day, you’ve already been to the most popular places. And you can hit the lesser known spots, or, if you’re like me, even go to a nice leisurely late lunch and then head home.

For 2026, there will be eight federal holidays when Americans (and only Americans and legal residents) will have free entry to the national parks, but this year not on Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Jan. 19) or Juneteenth (June 19) — two holidays honoring Black history. Those have been eliminated.

Free access was added on Flag Day (June 14), which also happens to be President Trump’s birthday.

Here are the 2026 fee-free dates:

Feb. 16: Presidents Day (Washington’s Birthday)
May 25: Memorial Day
June 14: Flag Day/President Trump’s birthday
July 3-5: Independence Day weekend
Aug. 25: 110th Birthday of the National Park Service
Sept. 17: Constitution Day
Oct. 27: Theodore Roosevelt’s birthday
Nov. 11: Veterans Day

You don’t need to sign up or register. But check if you need reservations. You’ll need to go to recreation.gov and search for the park you want and “timed entry” to find the reservation information. Also, note that free days are now only for American legal residents. Foreigners will pay much higher fees.

Here are the nine national parks in California: Channel Islands (the boat ride won’t be free), Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Lassen, Pinnacles, Redwood, Sequoia and Kings Canyon, and Yosemite. (Note that Yosemite’s still going to be snowy in February, and probably Lassen and Kings Canyon too.)

Learn more: nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#free_entrance_days

Related links

2025 was a tough year for the national parks
Higher fees charged for national park foreign visitors
12 gorgeous botanical gardens you can visit for free
Fun things to do in Southern California that are always free
Hidden Southern California: Visit this Victorian lighthouse in San Pedro for free

Letters: Badeh Dualeh’s letter was heartfelt and introspective, as this subject demands

posted in: All news | 0

Heartfelt and introspective

I wish to thank Badeh Dualeh for the very well written Letter to the Editor published on Jan. 1 (“A minority of Somalis have brought shame to our community”)  It was heartfelt and introspective as this subject demands.  Much has been written and said about this current explosion of events, most justified if you are a taxpayer in Minnesota. I am the son of an immigrant and I appreciate Badeh Dualeh’s commitment to the laws of the United States and citizenship. Bravo.

William G. Baker, St. Paul

 

Premiums are spiking, but not because of expiring subsidies

Front page, “above the fold” headline on Jan. 2, “Insurance spikes as new year begins,” with a sub-headline about the expiration of premium tax subsidies expiring. It is true that insurance premiums are spiking higher, but not because of premium tax subsidies.

The complexity of setting the cost of insurance premiums makes a Letter to the Editor tough to write. Premiums are driven by healthcare spending, in part, and by the generous contribution made by those who pay the premiums to the insurance companies. The Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) created by the Affordable Care Act was a gift to the insurers, a guaranteed income generator.

Insurance companies can predict claims costs, but then are allowed to add 20% to those premiums to cover administrative and other expenses (for individual and small group insurance), and 15% for large group insurance. There is zero incentive for insurance companies to reduce premiums, or to promote less costly health insurance policies.

There is much more to this, but at least we can clarify the headlines.

Dave Racer, Woodbury.
The writer has authored, co-authored and edited 24 books about the U.S. healthcare system. The most recent, “Entering the Golden Age of U.S. Healthcare”, was released in December 2026.

 

They should be held to a higher standard

There has been quite a bit of coverage concerning former Special Counsel Jack Smith’s testimony to the House Judiciary Committee regarding the events of Jan. 6, 2021. Based on his testimony, and the research and detail he gathered during his months of investigating what had occurred that day, he concluded that the storming of the nation’s Capitol building, the violence that resulted in injuries and death, were a direct result of Donald Trump’s refusal to accept defeat in the 2020 election.

In his testimony, Smith repeatedly made it clear that the evidence gathered against Trump was strong enough to sustain a conviction. Accepting that as truth, the issue remains this: Why do we as a country still abide by the ridiculous premise that a sitting president cannot be indicted? If a crime has been commited, and can be documented and proved, then what does it matter who is responsible? If you commit a crime or break the law, you should be held accountable regardless of your occupation or job title. In fact, I would bet that most Americans would agree that anybody, public servants, elected government officials, the president, all of whom take a sworn oath to defend our country’s constitution, should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen … certainly not held to a lower standard.

The argument that by indicting a president, he or she would be somehow prevented from performing their presidential duties because they would be busy defending themselves in court, is ridiculous. As president, they knew the rules, knew what was legal and what wasn’t, so abiding by our laws shouldn’t be too much to expect from anybody regardless of political party affiliation.

It’s about time to make the old adage “no one is above the law” meaningful.

Mike Miller, Lakeland

 

And now, bellicose imperialism

As a mere single but concerned citizen of our great country, it is with humility yet sincere conscience that I must apologize to the UK, Canada, Greenland, the Kennedy Foundation, President Biden, Senator John McCain and all prisoners of war, Ukraine, Palestine, Epstein’s victims, all misogynized women, righteous people here from Somalia, the country of Somalia, Minnesotans now cut off from Health and Human Services, Americans now without health insurance, immigrants kidnapped and deported by ICE, Wisconsin judge Hannah Dugan, the U.S. Capitol police on Jan. 6, and the good citizens of Venezuela for the rampant offensiveness, unfettered egocentrism and now the dangerous bellicose imperialism of our President Trump.  All humanity deserves better.

James R. Carey, Little Canada

 

Dehumanizing rhetoric

When Trump calls Democrats scum or a journalist piggy or Somalis garbage, that’s not the sign of a leader; that’s the sign of a psychopath. He’s trying to dehumanize his opponents or, as a bigot, those he doesn’t like just for being who they are. Dehumanizing them gives him reason to treat them as brutally as he wants or, of course, to encourage brutality against them by his supporters.

In response to this dehumanizing rhetoric, we must ask ourselves if our own humanity, our own empathy, our own beliefs in right and wrong require us to speak out against it or keep quiet and let the brutality flourish?

One additional comment on beliefs, while it’s important to speak out about our beliefs, it’s a different thing to impose our beliefs. We must be careful about if, when and how we impose our beliefs on others.

Keith Besaw, St. Paul

 

Make plowing simple

Years ago in St Paul, after a snowstorm, main aka emergency streets were plowed first, then north/south and east/west streets. Simple.

St. Paul streets are horrible to begin with. The night plow routes, day plow routes and one-sided plow plan are worthless.

Rethink and go back to making it simple.

Jacqueline Heintz, Maplewood

Related Articles


SPPS district shares procedures in case of federal activity


Minneapolis vigil draws more than 1,000, participants condemn ICE shooting


St. Paul school board member Jim Vue to resign


MN 280 from St. Paul to Roseville to fully close for portion of 2026


St. Paul man who poured boiling water over girlfriend’s head sentenced to workhouse, probation