Judge rejects lawyer’s disputed bid to join ex-Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s defense team

posted in: All news | 0

By MICHAEL R. SISAK and LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge on Monday nixed a former high-ranking Justice Department official’s attempt to join the team defending ex-Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro’s defense team, ruling that lawyer Bruce Fein had “no legal basis” to do so.

Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein had initially approved Fein’s application to join Maduro’s drug trafficking case but reversed course after the deposed leader’s actual lawyer, Barry Pollack, objected to his involvement.

Fein, an associate deputy attorney general during Ronald Reagan’s presidency, claimed in court papers that “individuals credibly situated” within Maduro’s inner circle or family had sought out his assistance. Fein claimed that Maduro “had expressed a desire” for his “assistance in this matter.”

But Hellerstein said in a written order that only Maduro has the authority to retain Fein as his lawyer, not unidentified individuals. He rejected Fein’s request for the judge to summon Maduro to court to ask him if he would like Fein added to the defense team.

“If Maduro wishes to retain Fein, he has the ability to do so,” Hellerstein wrote. “Fein cannot appoint himself to represent Maduro.”

Related Articles


Judge is asked for emergency hearing after MN lawmakers blocked from ICE facility in Minneapolis


FBI: Suspect in Mississippi synagogue fire targeted house of worship because of its ‘Jewish ties’


The Trevor Project receives $45M from MacKenzie Scott after difficult years and federal funding cuts


Meta names former Trump adviser Dina Powell McCormick as president and vice chairman


Railroads and their regulators thwart safety fixes, costing lives

Messages seeking comment were left Monday for Fein and Pollack.

Pollack, a prominent Washington lawyer whose clients have included WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, was the only lawyer with Maduro at his Jan. 5 arraignment in Manhattan federal court, days after U.S. special forces seized Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, from their home in Caracas.

In court, Maduro called it a kidnapping and declared himself a prisoner of war. Pollack told Hellerstein he expected to make “substantial” court filings challenging the legality of his military abduction” and invoking immunity as the head of a sovereign state.

As Fein sought to join the case, Pollack said in a court filing last week that he’d spoken with Maduro and that the ex-leader confirmed to him that he doesn’t know Fein and has not communicated with him, much less retained him or authorized him to join the case.

Fein acknowledged in a written response that he’d had no contact with Maduro by telephone, video or any other direct way.

Maduro and Flores have pleaded not guilty to charges alleging he worked with drug cartels to facilitate the shipment of thousands of tons of cocaine into the U.S. They remain held without bail at a federal jail in Brooklyn and are due back in court on March 17.

Gophers coach Niko Medved points out long losing streak to Badgers

posted in: All news | 0

Gophers men’s basketball coach Niko Medved said he doesn’t have to educate his team too much about the importance of the Wisconsin rivalry, but he did emphasize one sour stat.

The Badgers have won nine straight games against Minnesota since 2020. The Gophers will be a home underdog as they look to keep the skid from reaching double digits at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Williams Arena.

“(When players) come to Minnesota and you learn pretty quickly what the rivalry means with Wisconsin; I think it’s something they understand,” Medved said. “You kind of saw that against Iowa the other night, but this one kind of takes on a new life of its own.”

Usually new coaches don’t attach themselves to negative stats carrying over from previous staffs, but Medved is leaning into this one. He has made the players “keenly aware” of it.

“Coach Medved all let us know (on Sunday that) it’s time,” sophomore guard Isaac Asuma said. “We’re here, and we got to show out for it.”

The Gophers’ 13 new players got their first experience in the U’s two primary rivalries in the 70-67 home win over then-19th-ranked Iowa last Tuesday.

New guard Langston Reynolds asked Asuma how big the Badgers rivalry is to the Gophers. Asuma is the best teammate to ask since he’s a Minnesotan who played in the rivalry games last season.

“This is huge,” Asuma said he relayed to Reynolds. “We might sell out (Tuesday). It’s going to be a tough game no matter how teams are in the year.”

The influx of Iowa fans at The Barn last week raised the game’s “intensity,” Asuma said, and plenty of Badgers fans are expected to be in Minneapolis on Tuesday.

Wisconsin (11-5, 3-2 Big Ten) is coming off one of the most impressive wins nationwide this season, knocking off then second-ranked Michigan 91-88 in Ann Arbor on Saturday.

Minnesota (10-6, 3-2) is coming off a 70-69 overtime home loss to Southern California on Friday. That snapped a five-game winning streak, but the U has since turned its attention to the Badgers’ run in the rivalry.

Briefly

Medved said Monday on his KFXN-FM coaches show that there has been communication with the Big Ten’s coordinator of men’s basketball officials Terry Oglesby over some questionable calls in the USC loss Friday. …. The Badgers received 37 votes for the Associated Press top 25 after their win over the Wolverines. That fell a few spots outside the poll.

Wisconsin forward Nolan Winter (31) shoots over Minnesota forward Parker Fox, back center, during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game, Wednesday, March 5, 2025, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Ellen Schmidt)

Related Articles


As Gophers fans boo refs, coach Niko Medved takes high road


Gophers fall in overtime, 70-69 to Southern California


Men’s basketball: As roster dwindled, Gophers connected


Gophers hold off late rally and upset No. 19 Iowa


When Gophers men’s basketball wins a road game, it’s snack time

ICE in St. Paul: Man roughly detained at gas station, Border Patrol chief spotted in Midway Target

posted in: All news | 0

A St. Paul resident says federal officers knocked on her door and asked her to identify Hmong and Asian households in her North End neighborhood last week.

And on Sunday, in St. Paul’s Frogtown, video showed federal agents leaving a front yard of a home. A post on Reddit titled it as Border Patrol Chief “Greg Bovino has officially kicked off door to door raids.”

ICE and Border Patrol spokespeople did not respond to a request for information Monday about whether are they going door to door.

Vice President JD Vance noted on Fox News on Wednesday: “I think we’re going to see those deportation numbers ramp up as we get more and more people online working for ICE, going door-to-door and making sure that if you’re an illegal alien, you’ve got to get out of this country and if you want to come back, apply for the proper channels.”

On Wednesday, an immigration officer fatally shot Renee Good, 37, in her vehicle in Minneapolis, which has drawn continued protests.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem told Fox News Sunday that the administration would send additional federal agents to Minnesota to protect immigration officers and continue enforcement. More than 2,000 immigration arrests have been made in Minnesota since the enforcement operation began at the beginning of December, according to Homeland Security spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin.

Videos shared on social media, along with photographs, show the prevalence of federal agents in the Twin Cities and St. Paul recently.

Man detained at Snelling Avenue gas station

Bovino was present Sunday when a man was taken into custody from a vehicle stopped at a gas station on St. Paul’s Snelling Avenue at Portland Avenue.

A Getty Images photographer at the scene reported that federal agents smashed the man’s car window before dragging him out when he didn’t present citizenship documentation. Video from Ford Fischer with News2Share showed agents roughly handcuffing the man with his face on the pavement, and carrying him away as people in the area yelled, honked and blew whistles.

U.S. Border Patrol agents take an activist into custody following an altercation at a gas station on Jan. 11, 2026 in St. Paul. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Information about the man and his condition wasn’t made available Monday.

“As the federal occupation of Minnesota intensifies, we have seen and heard of countless incidents of violence being perpetrated by ICE here in Ward Four and in the surrounding neighborhoods, including the attack at Speedway yesterday,” City Council Member Molly Coleman, who represents the area, wrote on social media Monday. “What we saw at Speedway — what we’re seeing across the region — continues to make clear what we’ve long known: ICE has no place in our community.”

An activist was also taken into custody in the gas station’s parking lot. The man’s girlfriend told Fox 9 he was released Sunday night.

Border Patrol chief at Midway Target

U.S. Border Patrol Cmdr. Gregory Bovino walks through a Target store Sunday, Jan. 11, 2026, in St. Paul. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)

Also on Sunday, an Associated Press photographer took a photo of Bovino in the Target in St. Paul’s Midway on University Avenue. Video from Fischer showed Bovino leaving the restroom area in the front of the store and walking out as people cursed at him to leave.

U.S. Sen. Ruben Gallego posted on X (formerly Twitter), “What US citizen wants to go shopping on a Sunday and see armed masked men walking around? Target on a Sunday morning is not a war zone. Treating it like it is creates the tension you see here.”

Bovino responded on X: “Calm down there, pardner. Went in to use the restroom like any member of the public or law enforcement. In talking with Minneapolis residents and legal immigrants at Target, and a myriad of other locations, they say the opposite of you. Don’t be tone deaf.”

North End resident describes ICE asking about Asian neighbors

Elizabeth Lugert-Thom, of St. Paul, warned people on social media last week that two men came to her door in the North End on Wednesday. One had a badge hanging around his neck and she could make out “HS” on it and may have said “Homeland” on it, leading her to believe it was a Homeland Security badge.

“They did not identify themselves,” she said Monday. “They just starting asking questions and showed me a picture and asked if I knew who this person was.” She didn’t and told them so.

“They said, ‘This is for your safety. We need to find this person,’” according to Lugert-Thom, who said she doesn’t know why they came to her home. “They specifically asked me if I knew where the Hmong families lived on my street and in the neighborhood.”

Lugert-Thom responded, “I don’t know anything about that” and she said they then asked, “Well, what about the Asian families?” She also told them she didn’t know, so they would leave.

She said she posted about it on Facebook because “I was a bit shaken and a bit shocked of what I was asked to do.”

Related Articles


Toddler killed in dog attack, Otter Tail County sheriff reports


SPPS: Online classes for students, board calls for ICE to leave


George Floyd and Renee Good: 5 years between Minneapolis videos, and confusion has increased


2 dead in Rochester house fire, authorities say


‘Hundreds more’ federal agents to be deployed to Minneapolis, Noem says

City Council Member HwaJeong Kim, who is a volunteer with the Immigrant Defense Network and who represents Lugert-Thom’s ward, said she’s hearing frequently from neighborhood networks about people being taken into custody.

“They took someone walking on the sidewalk this morning in my ward before 9:30 this morning,” Kim said Monday. “… Rolled up, took them, gone.

“We already knew that they were doing it, and now they’re just not even hiding. … If you are Black, if you’re Brown, if you are Asian, Latina, even Indigenous, if you are just not white, at this point, you are a target.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Plans call for Science Museum’s Pine Needles land to be put in conservation easement

posted in: All news | 0

The land surrounding the Pine Needles cabin on the St. Croix River in Marine on St. Croix could be permanently protected under a plan proposed by Washington County and the Minnesota Land Trust.

Most of the 27-acre property, owned by the Science Museum of Minnesota, is being considered for a conservation easement, meaning that the vast majority of the land would have permanent restrictions on development and would remain as open space. If the project moves forward to closing, the Land Trust and Washington County will pay the Science Museum in exchange for the conservation easement.

The cabin, at 18037 St. Croix Trail N., was previously owned by James Taylor Dunn, a noted historian of the St. Croix River Valley. Dunn wanted the property, which is now the site of an artist-in-residency program run by the St. Croix Watershed Research Station, to be used as a scholarly and artistic retreat.

Washington County board members last week got an update on plans for the Pine Needles conservation easement during a workshop.

“My tree-hugger heart is happy,” said Washington County Board Vice Chair Bethany Cox. “I’ve paddled by so many times, I’m actually shocked it wasn’t already under conservation easement.”

Priority area

Greg Seitz, a Pine Needles artist-in-residence, paddles away from shore on the St. Croix River on Aug. 4, 2025. (Bennett Moger / Pioneer Press)

The Pine Needles land is located within one of the county’s top 10 priority conservation areas, is less than 300 feet from William O’Brian State Park, and includes more than 1,700 feet of St. Croix River shoreline, said Serena Raths, a planner for Washington County.

The property “is exactly the kind of land the county’s Land and Water Legacy Program was created to protect,” Raths said. “Conserving it preserves high-quality habitat for species in need of conservation and safeguards the water quality of creeks flowing to the St. Croix River … for generations.”

The cabin and some of its surrounding areas would be included in a “building envelope” that would be excluded from the easement restrictions to accommodate the Science Museum’s needs for the property, Raths said.

More than 300 acres associated with the St. Croix Watershed Research Station has already been protected through a continued partnership with Washington County and the Minnesota Land Trust.

Related Articles


Energy developers head to court as Trump says the US ‘will not approve any windmills’


California wants to mix hydrogen with gas to cut climate pollution. Critics say that poses risks


Solar panels on downtown St. Paul trash cans? Yes, and here’s why


Eco-friendly toilet papers are trendy, but their actual environmental impacts vary


MN Legislature: East metro cities seek funds for fight against forever chemicals

“We are excited about the opportunity to add the 27 acres of Pine Needles,” said Adam Heathcote, director of the Department of Water and Climate Change at the Science Museum of Minnesota, which includes the St. Croix Watershed Station.

The land at Pine Needles includes “spectacular stands of maple and basswood forest” and “some of the most majestic white pine trees remaining along the St. Croix River,” he said.

“This natural beauty has served as inspiration for more than 80 artists in the Pine Needles program over the last 24 years, and countless members of the St. Croix Valley public have been positively impacted through participation in their annual community outreach events,” he said. “It is our intent to ensure that Pine Needles will continue to serve this important purpose in perpetuity and a conservation easement would help make this possible.”

Shared cost

Greg Seitz sits at a desk overlooking the St. Croix River while working on his book highlighting the river’s watershed at the historic Pine Needles cabin in Marine on St. Croix. (Bennett Moger / Pioneer Press)

Under the plan being considered, the Minnesota Land Trust and Washington County would co-hold the conservation easement. The Minnesota Land Trust would be responsible for 60 percent of the costs, and the county would pay the rest, Raths said. The Minnesota Land Trust’s contribution is estimated to be between $568,200 to $1,136,400, she said.

Funds for the county’s portion of the conservation easement, estimated between $378,000 and $757,000, would come from a $4.4 million extension to the Land and Water Legacy Program that the county board approved in May 2024. The $4.4 million came from $3.4 million in 2024 interest earnings and $1 million in unspent funds from budget year 2023, Raths said.

The exact amount paid for the conservation easement will be determined by an appraisal of the land’s development rights value, Raths said.

The easement will restrict uses like commercial, industrial and agricultural activities, as well as any major disturbances to the property’s natural features, according to Raths. The Science Museum will retain ownership of the land and all rights not restricted by the easement, including, but not limited to, maintaining existing structures and trails, conducting habitat management and using the land recreationally.

Related Articles


World Snow Sculpting Championship now biggest event of year for Stillwater


Dave’s Hot Chicken to bring the heat to the St. Croix River Valley


Washington County board sets leadership team, approves salary increases


Mahtomedi man gets probation for sexually assaulting teen, who was promised drugs


Pine Needles residency program refocuses as next group of artists and writers sought

Conservation easements follow the land, not the landowner, “so even if the property is sold in the future, it will remain permanently protected,” Raths said.

In November 2006, Washington County voters approved a $20 million land and water protection referendum. The county expended $19 million of the funds to complete 53 projects protecting more than 1,900 acres and leveraged more than $34 million in partnership funds.

Plans for the Pine Needles conservation easement will go to the county’s parks and open space commission later this month and eventually to the Marine on St. Croix City Council before coming back to the board around June for a vote, Raths said.