NYU denies diploma to student who criticized Israel in commencement speech

posted in: All news | 0

By JAKE OFFENHARTZ

NEW YORK (AP) — New York University said it would deny a diploma to a student who used a graduation speech to condemn Israel’s attacks on Palestinians and what he described as U.S. “complicity in this genocide.”

Related Articles


Seattle judge rescinds order directing Trump administration to admit 12,000 refugees


Trump’s ‘beautiful’ bill spans 1,116 pages. Here’s what’s inside it


Trump’s stance against South Africa is not just about white farmers. It’s also about Hamas and Iran


Firing, hiring and a mystery: The 225-year-old Library of Congress has never had a moment like this


FACT FOCUS: Trump claims the US is the only country with birthright citizenship. It’s not

Logan Rozos’s speech Wednesday for graduating students of NYU’s Gallatin School sparked waves of condemnation from pro-Israel groups, who demanded the university take aggressive disciplinary action against him.

In a statement, NYU spokesperson John Beckman apologized for the speech and accused the student of misusing his platform “to express his personal and one-sided political views.”

“He lied about the speech he was going to deliver and violated the commitment he made to comply with our rules,” Beckman added. “The University is withholding his diploma while we pursue disciplinary actions.”

Universities across the country have faced tremendous pressure to crack down on pro-Palestinian speech or risk funding cuts from President Donald Trump’s administration, which has equated criticism of Israel with antisemitism.

But NYU, which is attended by Trump’s son, Barron, has largely avoided the president’s ire so far.

Rozos, an actor and member of the Gallatin Theater Troupe, was selected by fellow students to give the liberal art program’s address. He said he felt a moral and political obligation to speak to the audience about what he called the atrocities in Palestine.

“The genocide currently occurring is supported politically and militarily by the United States, is paid for by our tax dollars and has been livestreamed to our phones for the past 18 months,” he said.

The speech drew loud cheers from the crowd, along with a standing ovation from some graduating students.

But as video of the speech spread online, it was roundly denounced by pro-Israel groups, who accused NYU of creating an unsafe environment for Jewish students.

“No student — especially Jewish students — should have to sit through politicized rhetoric that promotes harmful lies about Israel during such a personal milestone,” the Anti-Defamation League said in a statement.

The group #EndJewHatred suggested the speech — which did not mention Jewish people — would meet the university’s newly-expanded definition of antisemitism, which includes certain criticism of Israel.

An emailed inquiry to Rozos was not returned.

As pro-Palestinian rallies roiled campuses across the country last spring, the 2024 commencement season was was marked by tensions and cancellations, and strict limits on what students could say.

With billions of dollars of funding at risk from the Trump administration, the stakes for universities are even higher this year, some faculty said.

“They are bending over backward to crack down on speech that runs counter to what the current administration in Washington espouses,” said Andrew Ross, a professor of social and cultural analysis at NYU.

“Myself and many of my colleagues are frankly appalled at the decision that’s being made to deny a student speaker his diploma,” Ross added. “This is a very good example of an administration falling down on the job.”

NYU denies diploma to student who criticized Israel in commencement speech

posted in: All news | 0

By JAKE OFFENHARTZ

NEW YORK (AP) — New York University said it would deny a diploma to a student who used a graduation speech to condemn Israel’s attacks on Palestinians and what he described as U.S. “complicity in this genocide.”

Related Articles


Seattle judge rescinds order directing Trump administration to admit 12,000 refugees


Trump’s ‘beautiful’ bill spans 1,116 pages. Here’s what’s inside it


Trump’s stance against South Africa is not just about white farmers. It’s also about Hamas and Iran


Firing, hiring and a mystery: The 225-year-old Library of Congress has never had a moment like this


FACT FOCUS: Trump claims the US is the only country with birthright citizenship. It’s not

Logan Rozos’s speech Wednesday for graduating students of NYU’s Gallatin School sparked waves of condemnation from pro-Israel groups, who demanded the university take aggressive disciplinary action against him.

In a statement, NYU spokesperson John Beckman apologized for the speech and accused the student of misusing his platform “to express his personal and one-sided political views.”

“He lied about the speech he was going to deliver and violated the commitment he made to comply with our rules,” Beckman added. “The University is withholding his diploma while we pursue disciplinary actions.”

Universities across the country have faced tremendous pressure to crack down on pro-Palestinian speech or risk funding cuts from President Donald Trump’s administration, which has equated criticism of Israel with antisemitism.

But NYU, which is attended by Trump’s son, Barron, has largely avoided the president’s ire so far.

Rozos, an actor and member of the Gallatin Theater Troupe, was selected by fellow students to give the liberal art program’s address. He said he felt a moral and political obligation to speak to the audience about what he called the atrocities in Palestine.

“The genocide currently occurring is supported politically and militarily by the United States, is paid for by our tax dollars and has been livestreamed to our phones for the past 18 months,” he said.

The speech drew loud cheers from the crowd, along with a standing ovation from some graduating students.

But as video of the speech spread online, it was roundly denounced by pro-Israel groups, who accused NYU of creating an unsafe environment for Jewish students.

“No student — especially Jewish students — should have to sit through politicized rhetoric that promotes harmful lies about Israel during such a personal milestone,” the Anti-Defamation League said in a statement.

The group #EndJewHatred suggested the speech — which did not mention Jewish people — would meet the university’s newly-expanded definition of antisemitism, which includes certain criticism of Israel.

An emailed inquiry to Rozos was not returned.

As pro-Palestinian rallies roiled campuses across the country last spring, the 2024 commencement season was was marked by tensions and cancellations, and strict limits on what students could say.

With billions of dollars of funding at risk from the Trump administration, the stakes for universities are even higher this year, some faculty said.

“They are bending over backward to crack down on speech that runs counter to what the current administration in Washington espouses,” said Andrew Ross, a professor of social and cultural analysis at NYU.

“Myself and many of my colleagues are frankly appalled at the decision that’s being made to deny a student speaker his diploma,” Ross added. “This is a very good example of an administration falling down on the job.”

Falcon Heights adds paid parking zones for Minnesota State Fair

posted in: All news | 0

The Falcon Heights City Council voted Wednesday to create temporary paid parking zones during the Minnesota State Fair.

The pay-by-mobile parking program will turn select city streets east of Snelling Avenue into paid parking zones, providing around 1,000 parking spots near the Fairgrounds, for a fee, according to a news release from the city.

The program, which has a one-year agreement with ParkMobile, will charge a flat fee of $25 per day for vehicles to park between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. during the 12 days of the Fair. As part of the program, the city will also hire trained ambassadors to give directions, answer questions and enforce parking.

The affected streets north of Larpenteur Avenue include: Asbury, Arona, Simpson, Pascal, Holton, Albert, Ruggles and Crawford.

Affected avenues to the south of Larpenteur include: California, Idaho and Iowa.

“Pay-by-mobile parking provides an excellent solution to promote safety for our Falcon Heights residents and the hundreds of thousands of visitors we welcome to our city during the Minnesota State Fair,” said Falcon Heights Mayor Randy Gustafson in the release.

If you’re determined to find free parking and your go-to street now has a fee, Falcon Heights City Administrator Jack Linehan suggests trying the free park-and-ride options the Minnesota State Fair offers.

As for residents who live on streets that are designated as a parking zone, they will receive one free parking pass delivered by mail starting in July with the option to request additional passes. The city estimates around 600 properties will be eligible for these passes.

Attendees will be able to pay online via website, app or automated pay-by-phone line and enforcement will be tied to the vehicle’s license plate. Should drivers fail to pay, parking violations will set them back $100 from Aug. 15 to Sept. 15, which is double the normal rate of $50, Linehan said.

Related Articles


Los Lobos and Arrested Development among acts to play free Minnesota State Fair shows


Family friendly Minnesota State Fair Grandstand show to pay tribute to Taylor Swift


Hank Williams Jr. to play Minnesota State Fair Grandstand for the third time


Ten years after she canceled, Meghan Trainor will headline the Minnesota State Fair


Minnesota State Fair selling personalized tiles on its new Welcome Wall

Falcon Heights will receive an estimated 80% of the parking fees, which the city anticipates could range from $100,000 to $200,000, Linehan said. The city will use its proceeds to support the ambassador program, cover fair costs and invest in its roads and infrastructure.

“We heard from our residents during this process on how we could improve the plan, and we believe the version adopted by the City Council will meet the needs of our community,” Gustafson said in the release.

Temporary parking zone signs will be installed before the start of the Fair and removed after Labor Day.

Trump’s stance against South Africa is not just about white farmers. It’s also about Hamas and Iran

posted in: All news | 0

By GERALD IMRAY, Associated Press

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (AP) — U.S. President Donald Trump’s claim this week that there is an unreported “genocide” happening against white farmers in South Africa was his harshest accusation yet against a country he moved to punish over a range of issues soon after returning to office.

Trump’s criticism has focused mostly on his allegations that South Africa’s government is fueling anti-white racism in the majority Black country, leading to the killing of white farmers. That has been denied by the South African government.

Young Afrikaner refugees from South Africa holding American flags arrive, Monday, May 12, 2025, at Dulles International Airport in Dulles, Va. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

But Trump has also strongly criticized South Africa’s foreign policy, and especially its decision to take Israel to the United Nations’ top court and accuse it of genocide against Palestinians in Gaza.

Trump has cited that case against a U.S. ally as an example of what he referred to as a larger anti-American position from South Africa. The U.S. president has now accused South Africa, once a key partner in Africa, of the same crime of genocide.

Israel and Hamas

South Africa launched its highly contentious genocide case against Israel at the International Court of Justice in early 2024, putting a developing nation that’s not a diplomatic heavyweight at the forefront of the pro-Palestinian movement at an especially divisive time. South Africa’s decision caused tensions with the U.S. under the Biden administration and other Western countries, which rejected the accusation that Israel was committing genocide.

FILE – South African President Cyril Ramaphosa addresses the opening session of the G20 foreign ministers meeting in Johannesburg, South Africa, Thursday, Feb. 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay,File)

But Trump’s reaction has been much stronger, citing the case against Israel in an executive order on Feb. 7 that sanctioned South Africa and stopped all U.S. aid and assistance. The order said South Africa had taken “aggressive positions towards the United States and its allies” and the case showed its support for the Palestinian group Hamas, which is designated as a terrorist organization by the U.S., the European Union, the U.K. and others.

The U.S. government under Trump has also cracked down on pro-Palestinian or anti-Israel protests at home.

South Africa has long been a supporter of the Palestinian people and a critic of Israel. But while the government has attempted to draw a line between that and any support for Hamas, the distinctions have become blurred, like when the grandson of former South African President Nelson Mandela hosted Hamas officials on a visit to South Africa in 2023.

Ties with Iran

Trump’s executive order also accused South Africa of strengthening its ties with Iran through commercial, military and nuclear arrangements. South Africa holds diplomatic ties with Iran but said it does not have any agreements with Iran over nuclear weapons, though it is allowing Iran to bid, alongside other countries, for a commercial contract to build a nuclear reactor to provide electricity.

South Africa’s Institute for Security Studies, a nonprofit research institute, said that Trump was “overreacting” to South Africa’s relationship with Iran, but South Africa “also shouldn’t be surprised if they are judged by the company they keep.”

Boycotting South Africa’s G20 presidency

The U.S. has decided to effectively boycott South Africa’s presidency of the Group of 20 developed and developing nations this year, the first time an African nation has held the rotating presidency.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio skipped a G20 foreign ministers meeting in Johannesburg in February, saying South Africa’s theme of “solidarity, equality and sustainability” was effectively DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion) and climate change and he wouldn’t waste American taxpayer money on it. The Trump administration has moved to dismantle DEI programs in the U.S.

Shortly after Rubio skipped the meeting, the Trump administration suspended all cooperation with South Africa related to its hosting of G20 events, according to a U.S. official.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal administration deliberations, said the decision was because Trump does not support South Africa’s G20 agenda. The official said the move would not affect the U.S.’s presidency of the G20 next year.

The rebuff by the U.S. will likely undermine South Africa’s efforts to make progress on issues it has prioritized for its presidency.

White farmers

The Trump administration brought more than 50 white South Africans to the U.S. this week as refugees, saying they are members of the minority Afrikaner group and are being persecuted by their Black-led government and exposed to race-based violence.

Afrikaner refugees from South Africa holding American flags arrive, Monday, May 12, 2025, at Dulles International Airport in Dulles, Va. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

South Africa says it condemns the relatively small number of killings of white farmers, but the cause is being mischaracterized and they are a result of its problems with violent crime and not racially motivated.

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa has not criticized Trump directly but said the U.S. president is being fed false information by some Afrikaner lobby groups in South Africa and some conservative commentators in the U.S. who have elevated the issue.

Ramaphosa’s office said he will meet with Trump at the White House next week in an attempt to “reset” the countries’ relationship.

Associated Press writer Matthew Lee contributed to this story from Washington.