Inflation rose slightly last month as grocery prices ticked higher

posted in: All news | 0

By CHRISTOPHER RUGABER and ANNE D’INNOCENZIO, Associated Press Writers

WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. inflation picked up a bit last month as food costs rose, though overall inflation remained mostly tame.

Consumer prices increased 2.4% in May compared with a year ago, according to a Labor Department report released Wednesday. That is up from a 2.3% yearly increase in April. Excluding the volatile food and energy categories, core prices rose 2.8% for the third straight month. Economists pay close attention to core prices because they generally provide a better sense of where inflation is headed.

Related Articles


Global shares climb after China and the US say they have a framework for seeking a trade deal


Today in History: June 11, University of Alabama desegregated


A federal appeals court is set to hear arguments in Trump’s bid to erase his hush money conviction


Silicon Valley city makes homeless people eligible for arrest if they refuse 3 offers of shelter


Mary Lou Retton pleads no contest, fined $100 for DUI, says she’s committed to make positive changes

The figures suggest inflation remains stubbornly above the Federal Reserve’s 2% target, which makes it less likely that the central bank will cut its key short-term interest rate. President Donald Trump has repeatedly urged the central bank to reduce borrowing costs.

There were scattered signs that Trump’s tariffs may have contributed to some price increases, but the cost of some imported goods, such as clothing, fell in May from the previous month and many services, such as airline fares and hotel rooms, also dropped in price.

On a monthly basis, overall prices ticked up just 0.1% from April to May, down from 0.2% previous month. Core prices also dropped to 0.1% from 0.2%.

Grocery prices rose 0.3% from April to May, and are up 2.2% in the past year. Fruits and vegetables, breakfast cereals, and frozen foods all rose in price. Egg costs fell 2.7%, their second straight drop though they are still more than 40% more expensive than a year ago.

Last week, the Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor Statistics, which compiles the inflation data, said it is reducing the amount of data it collects for each inflation report. Economists have expressed concern about the cutback, and while it isn’t clear how sharp the reduction is, most analysts say it is likely to have a minor impact. Still, any reduction in data collection could make the figures more volatile.

Inflation has cooled in the past year and, excluding the impact of tariffs, economists say it would be on track to return to the Fed’s target, which would allow the central bank to cut its key interest rates. Yet core prices have been more stubborn and were stuck between 3.2% and 3.4% for nearly a year until February, when they started to decline. They have now been at 2.8% for three straight months.

Nearly all economists expect Trump’s duties will make many things more expensive in the second half of this year, including cars and groceries, though by how much is still uncertain. Trump said Wednesday the U.S. will place 55% tariffs on all imports from China, up from the previous level of 30%. He has also imposed a 10% baseline tariff on imported goods from every other country, and 50% import taxes on steel and aluminum.

Given the potential for higher prices in the coming months, Fed Chair Jerome Powell and other Fed officials have made clear they will keep their key rate unchanged until they have a better sense of how tariffs will affect the economy.

World’s largest woodturning expo comes to RiverCentre this weekend

posted in: All news | 0

The International Woodturning Symposium, billed as the world’s largest gathering of woodturners, is spinning into St. Paul at the RiverCentre from Thursday, June 12 to Sunday, June 15 with a variety of free activities open to the public.

The annual event is organized by the American Association of Woodturners, which is based in St. Paul and operates the Gallery of Wood Art at Landmark Center, but the symposium is typically held in a different city each year: This is only the third time in the organization’s nearly 40-year history that the gathering has been held in St. Paul.

For those who are green to woodturning, the craft involves making items like bowls, pens and other decorative or functional objects on a lathe, a machine not unlike a pottery wheel that spins wood at high speeds while the woodturner uses carving tools to shape the item.

The symposium at RiverCentre, which officially begins Thursday, June 12 but most activities run Friday, June 13 to Sunday, June 15, is partially free to attend. Visitors can reserve a wristband online or pick one up at the registration desk at no cost to visit the vendor marketplace and a massive exhibition gallery of wood art from woodturners around the world. Saskatchewan woodturner Michael Hosulak will give a free artist talk at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, June 13 in the main gallery hall.

In the free zone, there’ll also be an interactive turning station, where expert woodturners will guide visitors — no matter their experience level — in creating their own wooden pen from a kit purchased on-site. This is open to the public with no pre-registration required.

Expert woodturners will also be giving demonstrations on various skills and techniques, but those are not included with the free wristband. Registration to access these more specialized workshops are $242 per day or $425 for the weekend and can be purchased online.

These demos will be presented by woodturners from Australia, France, elsewhere in the U.S. and several from Minnesota, including Jim Sannerud of Grand Marais, Phil Holton of Eagan and Jeff Luedloff of Shakopee.

The symposium, including the free trade show and gallery, is open 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. June 13, 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. June 14 and 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. June 15 at RiverCentre; 175 Kellogg Blvd. More info at aawsymposium.org.

Related Articles


Select list of winners at the 2025 Tony Awards


Raspberry Island: Alebrijes, surrealist Mexican folk sculptures, bring color to the riverfront


St. Paul Central students design a mascot to represent everyone


Tony Awards laud android rom-com ‘Maybe Happy Ending’ and history-making ‘Purpose’


Made in St. Paul: A Charli XCX-inspired exhibition of portraits at the M

Trump says US gets rare earth minerals from China in trade deal, tariffs on Chinese goods go to 55%

posted in: All news | 0

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that the United States will get magnets and rare earth minerals from China under a new trade deal and that tariffs on Chinese goods will rise to 55%.

In return, Trump said, the U.S. will provide China “what was agreed to,” including allowing Chinese students to attend American colleges and universities. The Republican president had recently begun to clamp down on the presence of Chinese nationals on U.S. college campuses.

The new 55% tariff rate would mark a meaningful increase from the 30% levy set in Switzerland during talks in May.

Related Articles


Trump hails favorable federal appeals court ruling on his sweeping tariff policy as a ‘great’ win


Elon Musk backs off from feud with Trump, saying he regrets social media posts that ‘went too far’


A federal appeals court is set to hear arguments in Trump’s bid to erase his hush money conviction


With reporters shot and roughed up, advocates question whether those covering protests are targets


US Rep. LaMonica McIver indicted on federal charges from skirmish at New Jersey immigration center

“OUR DEAL WITH CHINA IS DONE, SUBJECT TO FINAL APPROVAL WITH PRESIDENT XI AND ME.,” Trump wrote Wednesday on his social media site.

He said full magnets and any necessary rare earths will be supplied up front by China.

“WE ARE GETTING A TOTAL OF 55% TARIFFS, CHINA IS GETTING 10%. RELATIONSHIP IS EXCELLENT!” Trump wrote.

Senior U.S. and Chinese negotiators announced late Tuesday in London that they had agreed on a framework to get their trade negotiations back on track after a series of disputes that threatened to derail them.

The announcement came at the end of two days of talks in the British capital that wrapped up late Tuesday.

It came as an international rights group said that several global brands are among dozens of companies at risk of using forced labor through their Chinese supply chains because they use critical minerals or buy minerals-based products sourced from the far-western Xinjiang region of China.

The report by the Netherlands-based Global Rights Compliance says companies including Avon, Walmart, Nescafe, Coca-Cola and paint supplier Sherwin-Williams may be linked to titanium sourced from Xinjiang, where rights groups allege the Chinese government runs coercive labor practices targeting predominantly Muslim Uyghurs and other Turkic minorities.

The report found 77 Chinese suppliers in the titanium, lithium, beryllium and magnesium industries operating in Xinjiang. It said the suppliers are at risk of participating in the Chinese government’s “labor transfer programs,” in which Uyghurs are forced to work in factories as part of a long-standing campaign of assimilation and mass detention.

Asked about the report, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said that “no one has ever been forcibly transferred in China’s Xinjiang under work programs.”

The named companies didn’t immediately comment on the report.

Trump hails favorable federal appeals court ruling on his sweeping tariff policy as a ‘great’ win

posted in: All news | 0

By PAUL WISEMAN and DARLENE SUPERVILLE, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Wednesday hailed a favorable decision by a federal appeals court over his sweeping tariff policy as a “great” win for the United States.

Trump said on his social media site that the court’s decision Tuesday night to let the government keep collecting his sweeping import taxes while challenges to his signature trade policy continue on appeal means the U.S. “can use TARIFFS to protect itself against other countries.”

Related Articles


Trump says US gets magnets and rare earth minerals from China, tariffs on Chinese goods going to 55%


Elon Musk backs off from feud with Trump, saying he regrets social media posts that ‘went too far’


A federal appeals court is set to hear arguments in Trump’s bid to erase his hush money conviction


With reporters shot and roughed up, advocates question whether those covering protests are targets


US Rep. LaMonica McIver indicted on federal charges from skirmish at New Jersey immigration center

“A great and important win for the U.S.,” Trump wrote.

The decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit extends a similar ruling it made after another federal court struck down the tariffs May 28, saying Trump had overstepped his authority. Noting that the challenges to Trump’s tariffs raise “issues of exceptional importance,″ the appeals court said it would expedite the case and hear arguments July 31.

The case involves 10% tariffs the Republican president imposed on almost every other country in April and bigger ones he imposed and then suspended on countries with which the United States runs trade deficits. It also involves tariffs he plastered on imports from China, Canada and Mexico to pressure them to do more to stop the illegal flow of immigrants and synthetic opioids across the U.S. border.

In declaring the tariffs, Trump had invoked emergency powers under a 1977 law. But a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of International Trade ruled he had exceeded his power.

That ruling from the Court of International Trade came after several lawsuits arguing Trump’s tariffs exceeded his authority and left the country’s trade policy dependent on his whims.

The tariffs upended global trade, paralyzed businesses and spooked financial markets.