Minnesota’s new 50-cent delivery fee and other laws kicked in this July

posted in: News | 0

Many new laws went into effect in Minnesota on Monday, the first day of July, including a new fee on retail deliveries that’ll raise more than $60 million a year for roads, a free college tuition program and penalties for using deep fakes to spread election misinformation.

Of all the new laws, the fee on deliveries, which backers say will help pay for road construction and has attracted criticism from retailers and other businesses, likely has the most immediate effect.

As of July 1, Minnesota charges a 50-cent fee on all retail deliveries of $100 or more. The fee applies to sales of goods subject to state sales tax, as well as clothing, though prescription drugs, food, items purchased for resale and baby products will be exempt.

Backers, opponents

Democratic-Farmer-Labor lawmakers who backed the proposal last year said it’ll help raise money for transportation infrastructure, with then-Senate Majority Leader Kari Dziedzic calling the tax a “road maintenance fee.”

Local governments supported it, too, with many counties and cities testifying in favor at hearings ahead of the fee’s final passage as it could help pay for wear and tear on roads.

But business groups and Republican balked at the proposal, with both questioning the need for a tax increase when the state had a nearly $18 billion surplus at the time. In a Monday statement, House Minority Leader Lisa Demuth called the new tax a “junk fee” part of billions in tax increases passed by DFLers last year.

At the time of the fee’s passage, the Minnesota Retailers Association called the bill a “new, complicated taxing system”

Most consumers will see the fee on transactions like Amazon delivery bills, though it also impacts businesses that deliver products to one another.

Billing it properly

On Monday, Daniel Schmidt, vice president at St. Paul-based Great River Office Products, expressed frustration with the new fee, which he says has led to accounting headaches as the software used by the business has trouble sorting through exempt and nonexempt transactions.

“It’s hitting small business in a way that has got to be told to the average consumer,“ he said. “It just makes it a nightmare for our software companies to try to figure out how they are going to put it in and bill it properly.”

Some businesses are exempt from the delivery fee. Any retailer that has less than $1 million in sales won’t have to pay.

Of the more than $60 million the state expects to raise, metropolitan counties will get 36%, small cities will get 27%, 15% will go to “larger cities,” 11% will go to town roads, 10% will go to the state highway fund and 1% will go to food delivery programs like Meals on Wheels, according to House Public Information Services.

Before the new fee passed last year, House DFL lawmakers pitched a 75-cent fee on all deliveries.

But the DFL-controlled Senate and House agreed on the lower fee and the kick-in threshold of $100 in their final version of the transportation bill, which also included a provision tying the state gas tax to inflation in the future.

In addition to the new fee, a few other laws went into effect at the beginning of the month. Among them:

Tuition

Minnesotans coming from families who make up to $80,000 a year can now get free tuition at state colleges and universities under what supporters dubbed the “North Star Promise” program. And a program that helps cover tuition for children who grew up in foster care also got a funding boost.

Deep fakes

There are already penalties for the use of artificial intelligence-generated images and audio known as “deep fakes” to spread election misinformation. But now candidates found guilty of doing so will have to give up office or party nomination.

The time frame for deep fake election manipulation violations also expanded. Now people can be found guilty of a crime for using fake videos, images or audio 90 days before a political party nominating convention, or after the absentee voting period has started before a primary election.

Non-competes

Minnesota banned non-compete agreements in the 2023 legislative session, but DFL lawmakers this year helped expand restrictions on employers interfering with employees seeking different work in the same field.

By banning “shadow non-competes”, companies can’t prevent one of their customers from hiring one of their employees.

Adoption records

Birth records of adopted people are now classified by the state as private rather than confidential, helping adopted people access original birth records.

Related Articles

Politics |


Here’s what you need to know to vote in MN primaries for U.S. Senate, House as early voting begins

Politics |


Other voices: Monstrous COVID-19 frauds leave taxpayers holding the bag

Politics |


Letters: Gov. Walz’s response to the Feeding Our Future scandal? Feeble

Politics |


Joe Soucheray: Fraud after fraud, precious millions flushed, and precious little accountability in Minnesota

Politics |


Audit: ‘Inadequate oversight’ created opportunity for $250 million federal meal program fraud

Some fan favorites have already committed. Who else is coming to the 3M Open?

posted in: News | 0

Not surprisingly, former champion Tony Finau has already committed to the 3M Open, along with defending champion Lee Hodges.

There have also been commitments from fan favorites like Sam Burns, a member of the Ryder Cup last year, Sahith Theegala, an emerging presence in the sport, and Joel Dahmen, a household name largely because the Netflix series “Full Swing” showcased his big personality on screen.

As excited as tournament director Mike Welch is about the field so far, he’s still hopeful to attract a few more big names to TPC Twin Cities with play set to take place from July 25-28. He mentioned players such as Patrick Cantlay, Will Zalatoris and Adam Scott as possibilities.

“We’ve got a few weeks,” Welch said. “We’re just going to keep on them until they say they’re in.”

No doubt the biggest thing working against the 3M Open at this point is where it falls in the PGA Tour schedule. It’s sandwiched between the Open Championship, which will take place at Royal Troon Golf Club in Scotland, and the Olympics, which will take place at Le Golf National in France. The travel will likely be enough to deter some players.

There’s a chance the 3M Open could attract a number of late additions based how the standings look when play rolls around. On the PGA Tour, the top 70 players in the standings qualify for the FedExCup Playoffs, meaning some players might need extra points to secure their spot.

You never know, maybe somebody like Jordan Spieth will be on edge by then, or maybe somebody like Rickie Fowler could be looking to add to his total.

“There are some interesting names in there,” Welch said. “Our hope is that they give us a look.”

Notably, players have until 4 p.m. on July 19 to commit to the 3M Open, and they can withdraw at any time.

Briefly

There will be a concert on the grounds of TPC Twin Cities on July 27 with country music star Chris Lane performing. The show will start shortly after play wraps up.

Related Articles

Golf |


USGA allows extra 15 minutes to fix scorecard mistakes and avoid disqualification

Golf |


DeChambeau a one-man show at Pinehurst No. 2 and leads US Open by 3

Golf |


North Oaks’ Frankie Capan III six back of lead through two rounds of U.S. Open

Golf |


Golf: North Oaks’ Frankie Capan III enters U.S. Open comfortable and confident — both in his game, and that he belongs

Golf |


Golf: North Oaks’ Frankie Capan III wins qualifier to advance to second U.S. Open

St. Paul gymnast Suni Lee is an Olympian once again: ‘I’m so glad that I never gave up’

posted in: News | 0

St. Paul gymnast Suni Lee struggled to put her feelings into words on Sunday night at Target Center in Minneapolis. She met with reporters roughly 45 minutes after being selected to compete for Team USA at the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris and joked that she hadn’t stopped crying yet.

“It’s insane,” Lee said. “I can’t believe that I’m here.”

The fact that she’s headed back to the Olympics is a testament to her mental toughness. After being diagnosed with an incurable kidney disease last year, Lee admitted that she seriously considered walking away from gymnastics for good. She didn’t think she she would ever be the same, and while she still loved the sport at its core, she thought it might be time for her to move on to the next chapter.

Still, a little voice in her head kept bringing her back to Midwest Gymnastics in Little Canada, the only place she felt normal given everything going on in her life. It started as a reason to get out of bed in the morning. It turned into a challenge to get back to where she knew she belonged.

“I’m so glad that I never gave up,” Lee said. “I’ve learned that I’m a lot stronger than I think and that I am capable of anything if I put my mind to it.”

Though she wasn’t necessarily thinking about the Olympics in the early stages of her return, it wasn’t long before she started to push herself to do more. She got the green light from her doctors around Christmas and immediately told longtime coach Jess Graba that she wanted to start training with a purpose.

Suni Lee during the vault at the United States Women’s Olympic Gymnastics trials finals at the Target Center in Minneapolis on Sunday, June 30, 2024. (John Autey / Pioneer Press)

Together, Lee and Graba navigated the incurable kidney disease, figuring out a plan that worked while setting their sights on the Olympic Trials. Her confidence ebbed and flowed as she started to regain her form, and it wasn’t until she took first place on balance beam at the Core Hydration Classic a couple of months ago that she truly started to believe she might actually be good enough.

“I’m so glad that I had people around me who kept me motivated,” Lee said. “I wouldn’t be here without them.”

The culmination of her hard work came at the Olympic Trials over the weekend. Fittingly, the competition took place right across the river from where she grew up. She shook off the pressure of being the hometown hero and made herself indispensable for Team USA in the process.

“I was super, super nervous,” Lee said. “It was hard when I had to go up and everybody was screaming my name. I love it. I just got so freaked out in the beginning, like, ‘Oh my gosh. I didn’t know people actually liked me that much.’

As the competition unfolded, Lee shined under the bright lights, and it became more and more clear that she was headed back to the Olympics. She broke down crying as soon as it became official while her family shed tears of joy in the crowd.

It’s been a long road back for Lee. As proud as she is of herself, she also made it clear that she’s not done yet.

“I still think there’s more in the tank,” Lee said. “I’m never going to be satisfied.”

Feud over alleged marijuana theft cited in St. Paul shooting death charges

posted in: Politics | 0

The fatal shooting of a 22-year-old man in St. Paul may have been connected to a past marijuana theft and shots fired, according to a murder charge filed Monday.

Royce D. McKinney, of St. Paul, died in the Eastern Hazel Park area of the East Side on June 24.

The Ramsey County Attorney’s Office charged a 17-year-old on Friday with possession of a firearm by a person under 18. The teen told police he knew the gun he was arrested with was involved in the murder and that a friend of his mother’s, “Derrick,” was the shooter.

He said McKinney followed them home from Cub Foods, taunted Derrick and scared his mother by revving his engine outside their home. Police talked to the teen’s mom who “denied the existence of a ‘Derrick,’” according to the criminal complaint filed Monday.

Investigators knew the teen has an older brother, Lawrence Danzel Phelps, 30. They reviewed surveillance video from Cub that showed the teen with his 6-year-old nephew and Phelps, but not another person who could be Derrick, the complaint said.

After the teen talked to investigators last Tuesday, he requested to talk to them again. He said he’d talked to his mother from the Ramsey County Juvenile Detention Center and “feels comfortable now telling the truth about what occurred,” according to the complaint against Phelps.

He said Phelps previously stole marijuana from McKinney. In March, McKinney shot at Phelps, and casings found at a shooting scene matched McKinney’s firearm, the complaint said.

The teen said he was at Cub on June 24 when he noticed McKinney in a Chevrolet Tahoe, which followed them home. A couple of hours later, the teen was inside with his family and he heard an engine revving outside. His sister looked outside and said it was the Tahoe again. The teen told Phelps, who grabbed a gun and ran outside.

Soon after, the teen “heard several shots and hit the floor with his other family members,” the complaint said.

Phelps came back inside, saying, “I gotta go,” changed his clothes and left the firearm. “Phelps reportedly said that he hid in the alley and when the Tahoe came by, he jumped out to start shooting,” the complaint said.

Officers responded to the shooting about 9:40 p.m. June 24 at Van Dyke Street and York Avenue. McKinney was in the driver’s seat of a Tahoe that had crashed into a tree on the boulevard, and he was pronounced dead.

Police said there was a handgun on the driver’s seat of McKinney’s vehicle. It had a full magazine and no round in the chamber.

On June 25 at about 8 a.m., Phelps’ 17-year-old brother was seen leaving the area with a backpack and law enforcement pulled over the Uber he was riding in. When officers were taking him into custody, he said, “There is a gun in my bag,” asked, “What am I wanted for, murder?” and then said the backpack wasn’t his.

Lawrence Danzel Phelps (Courtesy of the Ramsey County Sheriff’s Office)

Officers arrested Phelps on Friday in South St. Paul. He said he hadn’t been to his family’s address in a couple of weeks, but then said he’d been there earlier in the week. He said it was only to drop off groceries and he’d left. He said he didn’t know anything about a shooting.

Phelps is charged with second-degree murder. An attorney for him wasn’t listed in the court file.

He had warrants from the Minnesota Department of Corrections for a probation violation in an assault case, domestic-related warrants from Dakota County and a theft warrant from Hennepin County, the complaint said.

Related Articles

Crime & Public Safety |


Police fatally shoot man at homeless shelter in Crookston

Crime & Public Safety |


Celebrity chef Justin Sutherland charged with threats of violence against girlfriend in St. Paul

Crime & Public Safety |


Celebrity chef Justin Sutherland arrested on suspicion of domestic assault, threats of violence

Crime & Public Safety |


Lakeville police investigating suspected homicide in Amazon warehouse parking lot

Crime & Public Safety |


How Legos went from humble toy to criminal black market item fueled by LA heists