South Korea says the North has 4 uranium enrichment facilities to build nuclear weapons

posted in: All news | 0

By HYUNG-JIN KIM

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — A top South Korean official said Thursday that North Korea is operating a total of four uranium enrichment facilities, adding to outside assessments that it has multiple covert atomic plants along with the widely known site near the capital of Pyongyang.

Related Articles


Russia is tracking two satellites used by the German military, defense minister says


Palestinian president: Hamas will have no role in governing postwar Gaza


Israeli strikes kill at least 17 Palestinians in Gaza as leaders ramp up pressure for a ceasefire


Paris court sentences Nicolas Sarkozy to 5 years in prison for criminal conspiracy in Libya case


Today in History: September 25, Military escorts Little Rock Nine into Central High

The North’s leader Kim Jong Un has called for a rapid expansion of his country’s nuclear weapons program and recently said he would never make the arms a negotiating point in response to overtures by U.S. President Donald Trump.

The South’s Unification Minister Chung Dong-young said uranium enrichment centrifuges at the four facilities — which would include the known site at Yongbyon, about 100 kilometers (60 miles) north of Pyongyang — are running everyday and stressed the urgency to stop the North’s nuclear program.

Chung did not elaborate further on the location of the other, undeclared nuclear sites. He spoke about the North with local reporters, according to his ministry.

A nuclear stockpile

Chung cited an assessment that the North possesses 2,000 kilograms (about 4,400 pounds) of highly enriched uranium. He first said that was based on intelligence but the ministry later clarified it was attributed to civilian experts.

If confirmed, the amount would also signal a sharp increase in North Korea’s stockpile of nuclear material.

In 2018, Stanford University scholars, including nuclear physicist Siegfried Hecker who had previously visited the Yongbyon complex, said the North had about 250 to 500 kilograms (550 to 1,100 pounds) of highly enriched uranium, sufficient for 25 to 30 nuclear devices.

Nuclear weapons can be built using either highly enriched uranium or plutonium, and North Korea has facilities to produce both at Yongbyon. Last year, North Korea released photographs of what it said was a uranium enrichment facility, the first such disclosure since it showed the one at Yongbyon to Hecker and others in 2010.

The location and other details of the facility in the photographs remain unknown.

Foreign experts believe North Korea has built additional uranium-enrichment sites as Kim has been pushing hard to expand his nuclear arsenal.

A plutonium plant is typically large and generates much heat, making it easier for outsiders to detect than a uranium enrichment plant, which is more compact and can be easily hidden from satellite cameras. Centrifuges to enrich uranium can be clandestinely operated underground.

North’s atomic bombs

It’s almost impossible to independently confirm how many nuclear weapons North Korea has manufactured, based on nuclear fissile materials it has produced at Yongbyon and elsewhere.

In 2018, a top South Korean official told parliament that North Korea was estimated to have already manufactured 20-60 nuclear weapons, but some experts say the North likely has more than 100. Estimates of how many nuclear bombs North Korea can add to its arsenal every year vary, ranging from six to as many as 18.

International diplomacy on ending North Korea’s nuclear program has stalled since 2019, when high-stakes summitry between Kim and Trump fell apart without any agreement.

At the time, Kim offered to dismantle the Yongbyon complex if he won extensive sanctions relief. But the American side rejected his proposal, because it would be a limited denuclearization step that would leave North Korea’s other, already built nuclear weapons and nuclear facilities intact.

Kim has since shunned any diplomacy with the U.S. and South Korea and focused on running weapons tests and perfecting nuclear missiles that target his rivals.

Since returning to office, Trump has repeatedly expressed hopes of restarting talks with Kim. Earlier this week, Kim said he still has good memories of Trump but urged the U.S. to drop its demand that the North surrender its nuclear arms as a precondition for resuming long-stalled diplomacy.

Analysts assess that Kim would likely perceive an enlarged nuclear arsenal as a source of greater leverage in potential talks with the U.S.

They say that in any potential negotiations, Kim would again seek to win sweeping sanctions relief and improved ties with the U.S. in return for a partial surrender of his nuclear and missile programs.

LA County response to deadly fires slowed by lack of resources, outdated alert process, report says

posted in: All news | 0

By CHRISTOPHER WEBER, Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) — An outside review of Los Angeles County’s response to January’s deadly wildfires found a lack of resources and outdated policies for sending emergency alerts led to delays in warning residents about the need to evacuate as flames began consuming neighborhoods in Altadena and Pacific Palisades.

The Independent After-Action Report produced by the consulting firm McChrystal Group was commissioned by county supervisors just weeks after the Eaton and Palisades fires killed more than 30 people and destroyed thousands of homes in highly dense areas of Los Angeles County.

The report released Thursday says a series of weaknesses, including “outdated policies, inconsistent practices and communications vulnerabilities,” hampered the effectiveness of the county’s response.

The Associated Press found some residents didn’t receive emergency alerts until well after homes went up in flames.

FILE – The Eaton Fire burns vehicles and structures Wednesday, Jan. 8, 2025 in Altadena, Calif. (AP Photo/Nic Coury, File)

The report cited critical staffing shortages including a high number of sheriff’s deputy vacancies and an under-resourced Office of Emergency Management. In addition, first responders and incident commanders were unable to consistently share real-time information due to unreliable cellular connectivity, inconsistent field reporting methods, and the use of various unconnected platforms.

“While frontline responders acted decisively and, in many cases, heroically, in the face of extraordinary conditions, the events underscored the need for clearer policies, stronger training, integrated tools, and improved public communication,” the report says.

Related Articles


Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs returns to court a week before he faces sentencing


Texas man facing execution for fatally beating 13-month-old girl during ‘exorcism’


Hard pass. Cold brew. Dad bod. Merriam-Webster adds over 5,000 words to ‘Collegiate’ dictionary


Amazon to pay $2.5 billion to settle FTC allegations it duped customers into enrolling in Prime


Wisconsin Planned Parenthood pauses abortions amid federal Medicaid funding cut

It is not intended to investigate or assess blame, county officials said in a news release.

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is scheduled to review the 133-page report when it meets next Tuesday.

The causes of the two fires are still under investigation.

After-action reports and investigations revealed issues with alert systems in other California blazes: in the 2017 Tubbs Fire, which killed 22 people in Santa Rosa; the 2018 Camp Fire, which killed 85 people in Paradise; the Woolsey fire, which started the same day and killed three in Malibu; as well as in Colorado’s 2021 Marshall Fire, which destroyed more than 1,000 homes outside Denver; and in Hawaii’s 2023 Lahaina Fire, which decimated that historic town and killed 102.

EU official: Automakers to save 500-600 million euros as trade deal with US takes effect

posted in: All news | 0

European automakers will save around 500-600 million euros ($585-700 million) a month dating back to Aug. 1 after the Trump administration implemented the U.S. end of its trade deal with the European Union, the EU’s top trade negotiator said Thursday.

Related Articles


Russia is tracking two satellites used by the German military, defense minister says


Palestinian president: Hamas will have no role in governing postwar Gaza


Israeli strikes kill at least 17 Palestinians in Gaza as leaders ramp up pressure for a ceasefire


Paris court sentences Nicolas Sarkozy to 5 years in prison for criminal conspiracy in Libya case


Today in History: September 25, Military escorts Little Rock Nine into Central High

Trade Commissioner Maros Sefcovic said that the deal establishing a 15% tariff on most EU goods took effect with publication in the U.S. Federal Register instructing customs officials what to charge. That would reduce the tariff from a painfully high 27.5% rate set earlier by Trump.

The reduction eases a major burden on EU automakers and is a chief selling point for the deal as presented by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

The deal is retroactive to Aug. 1 so “what we expect now is that the tariffs will be returned to the automakers as of the first of August, which is something like 500, 600 million euros per month,” Sefcovic said ahead of a meeting with Southeast Asian trade ministers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

The 15% tariff is still much higher than tariffs from before Trump took office, which averaged in the single digits, and the trade deal has been criticized by business associations and some members of the European Parliament.

Sefcovic said most member states supported the deal and that after detailed exchanges and presentations on the details he expected lawmakers would support it as well.

He said it was “the best deal available” after difficult talks with Trump administration officials. “Any other alternative would be much worse,” he said. Trump threatened even higher rates during the talks.

Donald Trump heads to the Ryder Cup, embraced by a golf world that once shunned him

posted in: All news | 0

By MICHAEL R. SISAK

FARMINGDALE, N.Y. (AP) — Four years ago, President Donald Trump was persona non grata in the professional golf world, ostracized from the sport he loves in the wake of the U.S. Capitol riot on Jan. 6, 2021. The PGA of America pulled his chance to host its major championship and officials in his hometown, New York City, tried ousting his company from the golf course it had hired him to run.

Related Articles


He’s the budget scorekeeper for Congress. Lately, it’s been a tough job


What we know about how a government shutdown would unfold


Ryan Walters resigns as Oklahoma’s top public schools official to lead conservative educators’ group


White House budget office tells agencies to draft mass firing plans ahead of potential shutdown


US lawmaker backs renegotiating global economic rules to reflect China’s rise

On Friday, Trump will be front and center at the Ryder Cup at Bethpage Black — welcomed to the first day of competition by the very powers that once shunned him. The Ryder Cup is run by the PGA of America, the organization that yanked its 2022 PGA Championship from his Bedminster, New Jersey, golf course.

U.S. captain Keegan Bradley said he’s “deeply honored” that Trump will be there to cheer on his squad. European captain Luke Donald said the president’s attendance “just shows how big the Ryder Cup is,” calling it a “mark of respect,” even if he’s rooting for the other side.

Trump, a Republican, will be the first sitting U.S. president to attend the biennial U.S.-Europe clash in its nearly 100-year history.

During his first term, he dropped in on the final day of the 2017 Presidents Cup at Liberty National in New Jersey.

His visit, expected in the late morning or early afternoon when the tournament is well underway, will mean extra security screenings in the areas where Trump is expected to be — near the clubhouse and first tee — and restrictions on what fans can bring. No rangefinders, laptops or tablets.

European stalwart Justin Rose predicted even more of a ruckus around the usually rowdy first tee when Trump is around. It’ll be a “very intense and entertaining” afternoon, he said.

“Obviously, he’s going to bring certainly a lot of attention and patriotism to the event,” Rose said. “It’s great for golf that he’s engaged in the game and obviously he brings a lot of eyeballs with him.”

But, U.S. and European players and captains alike say Trump’s presence won’t distract them from their overriding mission: beating the other guys. Rose even joked that Trump is invited to come back on Sunday and congratulate Team Europe, should the visitors win.

For Trump, an avid golfer, his Ryder Cup trip will be the culmination of a remarkable turnaround in his relationship with the sport — and in the sport’s relationship with him.

Next year, the Blue Monster course at his Doral resort near Miami will return to the PGA Tour schedule for the first time in a decade. Trump’s courses in Scotland and Ireland have or are slated to host European tour events. And, since his return to office in January, he hosted Tiger Woods, PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan and the head of Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund in an unsuccessful attempt to fix golf’s PGA Tour-LIV Golf schism.

Three Trump-owned courses have hosted LIV events.

“I’m deeply honored that the president of the United States is going to come support our team at the Ryder Cup,” Bradley said. “I think anytime you can be around a current president is a pretty phenomenal thing, but when you’re representing your country at a place like Bethpage Black in New York, having the president there to support you is something that is just absolutely incredible. I’m really grateful to him for doing that for us.”

The feeling seems mutual. In a Truth Social post last month announcing his tournament visit, Trump praised Bradley as “an AMAZING guy” and said “It will be a great Ryder Cup.”

In addition, Trump is close with several U.S. players, including Sam Burns, Bryson DeChambeau and top-ranked Scottie Scheffler. Last year, Trump appeared on DeChambeau’s “Can I Break 50?” YouTube series, racking up more than 16 million views. Scheffler, who also has played golf with Trump, said he’ll sometimes get a congratulatory call or text from him after a win.

“He just loves the game of golf, and he’s one of those guys when you’re around him, he does such a good job of, like, feeding confidence into everybody around him,” Scheffler said. He said he wasn’t aware of any plans for Trump to address the U.S. team, “but I’m sure if things go well, we’ll hear from him.”

Trump has been on a run of attending major sporting events, showing up at the Club World Cup final in New Jersey in July, the U.S. Open men’s final in Queens in September and addressing the New York Yankees in their clubhouse before a game in the Bronx on Sept. 11. He’s also attended various UFC fights and is planning to stage one at the White House next year.

Now he’s headed to the heart of Long Island, where he won both counties in last year’s election. Already this week, several “Make America Great Again” hats have been spotted in the crowd during Ryder Cup practice rounds. But, just like the European team, politicians aren’t immune from jeers. New York Gov. Kathy Hochul, a Democrat, was booed when she was introduced at Wednesday’s opening ceremony.

“I really look forward to what that first tee is going to be like with the president on the tee,” Bradley said. “I think this first tee at Bethpage is going to be a sporting event to remember across any sport, and then you add on the president of the United States standing there, I really think it’s going to be something that everyone will remember forever.”

AP golf: https://apnews.com/hub/golf