Granddaughter of “Charlotte’s Web” author upset with use of its title in immigration crackdown

posted in: All news | 0

The Trump administration is calling its new immigration sweep in North Carolina’s largest city “Operation Charlotte’s Web.”

Related Articles


Prosecutors ask appeals court to let ex-officer convicted in Breonna Taylor raid out of prison


Indiana homeowner charged in fatal shooting of house cleaner who showed up at the wrong door


Judge overseeing US Rep. McIver’s case tells prosecutors to turn over authorities’ texts


Hundreds of National Guard troops deployed to Portland and Chicago are being sent home


Bird flu cases are on the rise again, including 2 million turkeys. Will that affect your Thanksgiving dinner?

But the granddaughter of E.B. White, the author of the classic 1952 children’s tale “Charlotte’s Web,” said the wave of immigration arrests goes against what her grandfather and his beloved book stood for.

“He believed in the rule of law and due process,” Martha White said in a statement. “He certainly didn’t believe in masked men, in unmarked cars, raiding people’s homes and workplaces without IDs or summons.”

White, whose grandfather died in 1985, works as his literary executor. She pointed out that in “Charlotte’s Web,” the spider who is the main character devoted her life on the farm to securing the freedom of a pig named Wilbur.

The Trump administration and Republican leaders have seized on a number of catchy phrases while carrying out mass deportation efforts — naming their holding facilities Alligator Alcatraz in Florida, Speedway Slammer in Indiana and Cornhusker Clink in Nebraska.

Gregory Bovino, a Border Patrol official now on the ground in Charlotte, was the face of the “Operation At Large” in Los Angeles and “Operation Midway Blitz” in Chicago, two enforcement surges earlier this year. As the Charlotte operation got underway, Bovino quoted from “Charlotte’s Web” in a social media post: “We take to the breeze, we go as we please.”

Trump says he will sell F-35s to Saudi Arabia on eve of crown prince’s Washington visit

posted in: All news | 0

By AAMER MADHANI, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump said Monday he will sell F-35 advanced fighter jets to Saudi Arabia on the eve of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s Washington visit, as he praised the kingdom for its long partnership with the United States.

Related Articles


FEMA acting chief David Richardson departs after 6 months on the job, officials say


Epstein files and affordability concerns threaten to knock Trump’s 2nd presidency off course


Fed’s Cook blasts mortgage fraud allegations against her as ‘baseless’ in letter to DoJ


Judge overseeing US Rep. McIver’s case tells prosecutors to turn over authorities’ texts


Supreme Court will review an old policy used to turn away asylum seekers at the US border

“I will say that that we will be doing that,” Trump said when asked if he would sell the jets to Saudi Arabia. “We’ll be selling F-35s.”

The crown prince, who is set to make a White House visit Tuesday, had been expected to arrive with a wish list that includes receiving formal assurances from Trump defining the scope of the U.S. military protection for the kingdom and an agreement to buy U.S.-made F-35 fighter jets, one of the world’s most advanced aircraft.

The Republican administration, however, has been wary about upsetting Israel’s “qualitative military advantage” over its neighbors, especially at a time when Trump is depending on Israeli support for the success of his Gaza peace plan.

Another long-standing concern, which also derailed a potential similar sale to the United Arab Emirates, is that the F-35 technology could be stolen by or somehow transferred to China, which has close ties to both the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

Twins’ new coaching staff includes Toby Gardenhire, new hitting coach

posted in: All news | 0

A long-time Twin, a lifelong Twins fan and the son of one of the Twins’ greatest managers of all time are three of the new coaches on Derek Shelton’s first staff at the helm of the Twins.

The 12-man coaching staff, which features a mix of returning coaches and newcomers, feels like his own, Shelton said Monday as he enthused about how the group came together “better than any group I imagined.”

“It was very encouraging that we highlighted and targeted a group of people and we were damn near spot on,” he said.

Shelton himself is the first manager that the Twins have hired with previous major league managerial experience since Gene Mauch in the mid-70s. Alongside him will be new bench coach Mark Hallberg, who spent the past six seasons on the San Francisco Giants’ coaching staff.

Hallberg spent his childhood in the Middle East — he was born in Saudi Arabia — as his parents worked in international schools. But despite living so far away, his Twins roots run deep. His grandfather took Hallberg’s father, Monti, to the 1965 World Series. And in 1991, as a young child in Saudi Arabia, he remembers waking up early to watch the Twins battle the Atlanta Braves in the Fall Classic.

The family would travel back and spend their summers in Wisconsin, and Hallberg attended Barron High School about 90 miles northeast of Minneapolis. After college, he returned to Wisconsin and earned a Masters of Business Administration and a bachelor’s degree in health and human performance from the University of Wisconsin-River Falls.

“The amount of passion, pride and humility I’m going to approach each day with when I walk in, just like I would do anywhere, but when it’s that connected to your home and where you grew up and helped shape you … this means a lot to me,” Hallberg said. “I’m going to give my best every single day.”

The Twins also added Mike Rabelo as assistant bench coach. Rabelo is the only coach Shelton brought with him from his time in Pittsburgh, noting he thought it was important to add someone to the staff that he had prior experience with.

St Paul Saints manager Toby Gardenhire against the Indianapolis Indians at CHS Field in St. Paul, Tuesday April 12, 2022. (Craig Lassig / Special to the Pioneer Press)

He also said he felt strongly about adding someone who would be familiar to the group and was impressed during the interview process by Toby Gardenhire, who had previously served as the Triple-A Saints’ manager, and his ideas for what he thought was going well and how the Twins could improve. Gardenhire will serve as the major league field coordinator.

“He has relationships with our young players, and we’re going to be a young group,” Shelton said. “He’s someone I’m going to be able to lean on.”

Another newcomer that Shelton has experience with is bullpen coach LaTroy Hawkins, who had a 21-year-playing career, the first nine of which were spent in Minnesota. Most recently, Hawkins had been serving as a special assistant in the organization while also appearing on the team’s television broadcast. He now joins returning pitching coaches Pete Maki and Luis Ramirez.

“It’s been really impressive … his willingness to learn and grow and how he has embraced all the new things and is applying them with the other experiences he had,” Shelton said.

Shelton said he targeted Hawkins and Grady Sizemore, who played for the Cleveland Indians when Shelton was a hitting coach, “right off the bat” because it was important to him to add coaches with major league playing experience.

Sizemore comes to the Twins after spending the past two couple of years with the Chicago White Sox, serving as their offensive coordinator last year after a brief stint as their interim manager in 2024. Sizemore will be the Twins’ first-base coach and work with the outfielders while Ramon Borrego will move from first base to third base and will continue to coach the infielders.

On the hitting side, the Twins have brought in Keith Beauregard from Detroit to work with assistants Trevor Amicone and Rayden Sierra. Shelton praised his energy, passion and his ability to break down swings and relate to players. Beauregard is the Twins’ third new lead hitting coach in as many years.

“My belief is to meet guys where they’re at individually and speak their language,” Beauregard said. “Our goal as a staff is to help these guys identify and build a profile that matches who they are.”

Shelton said he learned from his experience building a staff in Pittsburgh and this time around, he said, his staff has more diversity in terms of skill set and experience as the Twins.

“(I’m) really excited about this group,” Shelton said. “It’s diverse. It is thoughtful. It’s a learning group, and I think Twins fans are really going to grow to like this group of coaches.”

Related Articles


Twins finalize coaching staff, adding some familiar faces


New Twins manager Derek Shelton adding to coaching staff


Shipley: The Dereks gave us clarity on the Twins’ future: Expect more of the same


Derek Shelton hires LaTroy Hawkins as Twins’ bullpen coach


Twins lose Cody Laweryson to waivers, outright Jose Miranda

Prosecutors ask appeals court to let ex-officer convicted in Breonna Taylor raid out of prison

posted in: All news | 0

By DYLAN LOVAN, Associated Press

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — The U.S. Department of Justice is arguing that a former Louisville police officer convicted of using excessive force during the deadly Breonna Taylor raid should be let out of prison while he appeals his conviction.

Related Articles


Indiana homeowner charged in fatal shooting of house cleaner who showed up at the wrong door


Judge overseeing US Rep. McIver’s case tells prosecutors to turn over authorities’ texts


Hundreds of National Guard troops deployed to Portland and Chicago are being sent home


Bird flu cases are on the rise again, including 2 million turkeys. Will that affect your Thanksgiving dinner?


Supreme Court will review an old policy used to turn away asylum seekers at the US border

Federal prosecutors filed a brief Friday before the Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, arguing that Brett Hankison should not be in prison. The same prosecutors asked the trial judge ahead of Hankison’s July sentencing to give him no prison time, but that request was denied and Hankison was sentenced to 33 months in prison.

Hankison, a former detective, became the first officer involved in the March 2020 raid to be convicted on criminal charges. But new prosecutors brought in by the Trump administration earlier this year sought leniency for Hankison, an about-face after the DOJ spent years prosecuting him through two trials.

Hankison, 49, is serving the sentence at a federal prison in New Jersey. His release date is February 2028, according to online records.

In the new filing, prosecutors argued that the trial jury struggled with the excessive force charge against Hankison, making a prison sentence “unwarranted.”

Hankison fired 10 shots into the windows of Taylor’s apartment the night of the deadly raid, but didn’t hit anyone. Some of his shots flew into a neighboring apartment, nearly striking two people inside. Prosecutors said at trial his shots also came close to a fellow officer.

At his sentencing in July, U.S. District Judge Rebecca Grady Jennings rebuffed the DOJ’s request for no prison time, saying the Justice Department treated Hankison’s actions as “an inconsequential crime.”

The former officer’s first federal trial on excessive force charges ended in a mistrial in 2023, and he was acquitted of state charges of wanton endangerment in 2022.

Two other officers shot Taylor as they returned fire, after Taylor’s boyfriend opened fire when police broke down the door. Hankison was behind the officers and when the shooting started, he ran to the side of the apartment and fired through the windows.

Hankison said at trial he was trying to protect his fellow officers, who he believed were coming under fire from someone inside with a rifle.