Trump says US struck Islamic State targets in Nigeria after group targeted Christians

posted in: All news | 0

By WILL WEISSERT, Associated Press

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — President Donald Trump said Thursday that the U.S. launched a “powerful and deadly” strike against Islamic State forces in Nigeria, after spending weeks accusing the West African country’s government of failing to rein in the persecution of Christians.

Related Articles


Trump says US struck Islamic State targets in Nigeria after group targeted Christians


Trump warns against infiltration by a ‘bad Santa,’ defends coal in jovial Christmas calls with kids


Kennedy Center Christmas Eve jazz concert canceled after Trump name added to building


Pediatrics group sues HHS for cutting funds for children’s health programs


Federal judge upholds Hawaii’s new climate change tax on cruise passengers

In a Christmas evening post on his social media site, Trump did not provide details or mention the extent of the damage caused by the strikes in Sokoto state.

A Defense Department official, who insisted on anonymity to discuss details not made public, said the U.S. worked with Nigeria to carry out the strikes, and that they’d been approved by that country’s government.

Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the cooperation included exchange of intelligence and strategic coordination in ways “consistent with international law, mutual respect for sovereignty and shared commitments to regional and global security.”

Trump said the airstrikes were launched against Islamic State militants “who have been targeting and viciously killing, primarily, innocent Christians.” Residents and security analysts have said Nigeria’s security crisis affects both Christians, predominant in the south, and Muslims, who are the majority in the north.

“Terrorist violence in any form, whether directed at Christians, Muslims or other communities, remains an affront to Nigeria’s values and to international peace and security,” Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.

Nigeria is battling multiple armed groups, including at least two affiliated with the Islamic State — an offshoot of the Boko Haram extremist group known as the Islamic State West Africa Province in the northeast, and the less-known Lakurawa group prominent in the northwestern states like Sokoto where the gangs use large swathes of forests connecting states as hideouts.

Security analysts said the target of the U.S. strikes could be the Lakurawa group, which in the last year has increasingly become lethal in the region, often targeting remote communities and security forces.

“Lakurawa is a group that is actually controlling territories in Nigeria, in Sokoto state and in other states like Kebbi,” said Malik Samuel, a Nigerian security researcher at Good Governance Africa. “In the northwest, there has been the incursion of violent extremist groups that are ideologically driven,” he said, blaming the incursion on the near absence of the state and security forces in hot spots.

Nigeria’s government has previously said in response to Trump’s criticisms that people of many faiths, not just Christians, have suffered attacks at the hands of extremists groups.

Trump ordered the Pentagon last month to begin planning for potential military action in Nigeria to try and curb the so-called Christian persecution. The State Department recently announced it would restrict visas for Nigerians and their family members involved in killing Christians there.

And the U.S. recently designated Nigeria a “country of particular concern” under the International Religious Freedom Act.

Trump said the U.S. defense officials had “executed numerous perfect strikes, as only the United States is capable of doing” and added that “our Country will not allow Radical Islamic Terrorism to prosper.”

Nigeria’s population of 220 million is split almost equally between Christians and Muslims. The country has long faced insecurity from various fronts including the Boko Haram extremist group, which seeks to establish its radical interpretation of Islamic law and has also targeted Muslims it deems not Muslim enough.

But attacks in Nigeria often have varying motives. There are religiously motivated ones targeting both Christians and Muslims, clashes between farmers and herders over dwindling resources, communal rivalries, secessionist groups and ethnic clashes.

The U.S. security footprint has diminished in Africa, where military partnerships have either been scaled down or canceled. U.S. forces likely would have to be drawn from other parts of the world for any larger-scale military intervention in Nigeria.

Trump has nonetheless kept up the pressure as Nigeria faced a series of attacks on schools and churches in violence that experts and residents say targets both Christians and Muslims.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth posted Thursday night on X: “The President was clear last month: the killing of innocent Christians in Nigeria (and elsewhere) must end.”

Hegseth said that U.S. military forces are “always ready, so ISIS found out tonight — on Christmas” and added, “More to come…Grateful for Nigerian government support & cooperation” before signing off, “Merry Christmas!”

Associated Press writer Konstantin Toropin contributed from Washington, and Chinedu Asadu from Abuja, Nigeria.

Zelenskyy says meeting with Trump to happen ‘in the near future’

posted in: All news | 0

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — A meeting with U.S. President Donald Trump will happen “in the near future,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Friday, signaling progress in talks to end the nearly four-year war between Russia and Ukraine.

Related Articles


Trump says US struck Islamic State targets in Nigeria after group targeted Christians


Trump warns against infiltration by a ‘bad Santa,’ defends coal in jovial Christmas calls with kids


Kennedy Center Christmas Eve jazz concert canceled after Trump name added to building


Pediatrics group sues HHS for cutting funds for children’s health programs


Federal judge upholds Hawaii’s new climate change tax on cruise passengers

“We are not losing a single day. We have agreed on a meeting at the highest level – with President Trump in the near future,” Zelenskyy wrote on X.

“A lot can be decided before the New Year,” he added.

Zelenskyy’s announcement came after he said Thursday he had a “good conversation” with U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner.

Trump has unleashed a diplomatic push to end the war, but his efforts have run into sharply conflicting demands by Moscow and Kyiv.

Zelenskyy said Tuesday he would be willing to withdraw troops from the country’s eastern industrial heartland as part of a plan to end the war, if Moscow also pulls back and the area becomes a demilitarized zone monitored by international forces.

Though Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Thursday that there had been “slow but steady progress” in the peace talks, Russia has given no indication that it will agree to any kind of withdrawal from land it has seized.

In fact, Moscow has insisted that Ukraine relinquish the remaining territory it still holds in the Donbas — an ultimatum that Ukraine has rejected. Russia has captured most of Luhansk and about 70% of Donetsk — the two areas that make up the Donbas.

On the ground, one person was killed and three others wounded when a guided aerial bomb hit a house in Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia region, while six people were wounded in a missile strike on the city of Uman, local officials said Friday.

Russian drone attacks on the city of Mykolaiv and its suburbs overnight into Friday left part of the city without power. Energy and port infrastructure were damaged by drones in the city of Odesa on the Black Sea.

Meanwhile, Ukraine said it struck a major Russian oil refinery Thursday using British-supplied Storm Shadow missiles.

Ukraine’s General Staff said its forces hit the Novoshakhtinsk refinery in Russia’s Rostov region. “Multiple explosions were recorded. The target was hit,” it wrote on Telegram.

Rostov regional Gov. Yuri Slyusar said a firefighter was wounded when extinguishing the fire.

Ukraine’s long-range drone strikes on Russian refineries aim to deprive Moscow of the oil export revenue it needs to pursue its full-scale invasion. Russia wants to cripple the Ukrainian power grid, seeking to deny civilians access to heat, light and running water in what Kyiv officials say is an attempt to “weaponize winter.”

The Loop NFL Picks: Week 17

posted in: All news | 0

Steelers at Browns (+3½)

Pittsburgh’s D.K. Metcalf could lose as much as $45 million in contractual guarantees after being suspended for smacking a blue-haired Lions fan during last Sunday’s game. The only way you could lose that much money more quickly would be by purchasing $TRUMP meme coins.
Pick: Steelers by 7

Patriots at Jets (+13½)

New England rallied past Baltimore last week and kept alive its hopes of getting the No. 1 seed and hosting the AFC championship game. That contest will air next month on CBS unless it’s pulled at the last second by Bari Weiss.
Pick: Patriots by 24

Jaguars at Colts (+6½)

The ageless Philip Rivers played well again, but Indianapolis lost again Monday night and destroyed its playoff hopes. The sudden demise of a team that started 7-1 is due to the fact the rest of the Colts have been playing like they are 44 years old.
Pick: Jaguars by 7

Seahawks at Panthers (+7½)

Carolina is battling equally unimpressive Tampa Bay for first place in the motley NFC South. That division is going to produce the most pathetic winner of 2026, at least until the Minnesota governor’s race.
Pick: Seahawks by 7

Bears at 49ers (-2½)

The 49ers are as hot as anyone and have a decent shot at playing in Super Bowl LX on their home field in Santa Clara. That would give them a ringside seat for the halftime spectacular when ICE agents try to haul away Bad Bunny fans.
Pick: 49ers by 3

Eagles at Bills (-1½)

The Bills’ Josh Allen gifted his offensive linemen “a quarter of a cow” worth of beef for a Christmas gift. Fortunately for the players who live in Buffalo, they will be able to store the holiday beef outside their homes until late April.
Pick: Bills by 3

Rams at Falcons (+7½)

The Rams lost in Seattle on an unbelievable backward-lateral call on a key two-point conversion by the Seahawks. The uproar from Los Angeles fans only grew after the officials’ explanation for the controversial call was redacted by the Justice Department.
Pick: Rams by 3

Giants at Raiders (-1½)

The NFL’s bottom dwellers, both 2-13, are likely playing for the right to draft the No. 1 pick this spring. Either way the game turns out, the big loser will likely be Indiana quarterback Fernando Mendoza.
Pick: Raiders by 4

Buccaneers at Dolphins (+5½)

Third-year running back De’Von Achane, who’s third in the league with 1,267 rushing yards, learned Monday that he’s the only Miami player selected for the Pro Bowl Games. NFL insiders report that nobody’s interested, and nobody cares.
Pick: Buccaneers by 7

OTHER GAMES

Cardinals at Bengals (-7½)
Pick: Bengals by 3

Saints at Titans (+2½)
Pick: Saints by 7

RECORD

Week 15
8-8 straight up
7-9 vs. spread

Season
145-94-1 straight up (.607)
116-124 vs. spread (.483)

All-time (2003-25)
3964-2195-15 straight up (.644)
3027-3003-145 vs spread (.502)

You can hear Kevin Cusick on Thursdays on Bob Sansevere’s “BS Show” podcast on iTunes. You can follow Kevin on X– @theloopnow. He can be reached at kcusick@pioneerpress.com.

Related Articles


The Loop Fantasy Football Update Week 17: Last-minute moves


The Loop Fantasy Football Update Week 16: Last-minute moves


The Loop NFL Picks: Week 16


The Loop Fantasy Football Update Week 15: Last-minute moves


The Loop NFL Picks: Week 15

Takeaways from the Vikings’ 23-10 win over the Lions

posted in: All news | 0

If the Vikings weren’t going to be able to compete for a Super Bowl, they wanted to make sure neither were the Detroit Lions.

That mindset served as motivation for the Vikings on Thursday afternoon at U.S. Bank Stadium en route to a 23-10 win that officially eliminated the Lions from the playoffs.

Though the offense for the Vikings failed to move the ball for most of the game with rookie quarterback Max Brosmer under center, the defense put forth an otherworldly effort with veteran safety Harrison Smith leading the charge.

The win for the Vikings helps them vault into third place in the NFC North. The loss for the Lions might close their Super Bowl window once and for all.

Here are some takeaways from the game:

Brian Flores painted yet another masterpiece

In what might be the last game of consequence for the Vikings this season, defensive coordinator Brian Flores once again proved that he should be a top candidate for every team looking for a new head coach.

Never mind that the defense has been on a roll for a couple of months. This was its magnum opus as it made an explosive offense on the other end look completely out of sorts.

The constant pressure deployed by the Vikings rattled the Lions, especially veteran quarterback Jared Goff, who was a turnover machine for most of the game.

The implosion from Goff included him throwing two interceptions and coughing up three fumbles in total. There was also a pretty costly fumble from running back Jahmyr Gibbs early in the game.

In total, the Vikings forced six turnovers in the game, a major morale boost for a group of players that has rode the roller coaster at times this season. The identity of the defense has been forged by Flores and he deserves to be rewarded for it when the hiring cycle begins.

Harrison Smith continued to turn back the clock

It’s still unclear if Smith intends to retire at the end of this season. He has typically kept his cards close to the vest on that front so there more than likely won’t be a big announcement regardless of what he decides.

If his vintage performance for the Vikings against the Lions was indication, however, Smith should maybe consider delaying retirement a little bit longer. He was the best player on the field for prolonged stretches throughout the game, finishing with one sack, two tackles for a loss, one interception, and three passes defended.

That impressive stat line for Smith was the continuation of a positive trend. He’s looked like a much younger version of himself as of late, flying around with reckless abandon like he used to in his prime.

The fact that Smith is still able to make an impact has to make him start thinking about his future and if he’s ready to give up the game he truly loves so much.

Max Brosmer isn’t ready to be the backup

There was hope that Brosmer would be able to bounce back from a miserable NFL debut. He struggled mightily last month as the Vikings got shutout by the Seattle Seahawks. He responded by simply putting his head down and going back to work.

That set the stage for Brosmer to redeem himself with the Vikings hosting the Lions. Instead, he completed 9 of 16 passes for a mere 51 yards, while taking 48 yards worth of sacks in the game.

The disastrous showing from Brosmer proved he’s not yet ready to be the backup for the Vikings. It’s too much to ask of him so early in his career. He’s still very much a project that needs to work on his craft behind the scenes without the risk of having to play in a game.

Justin Jefferson is closing in on 1,000 yards

The inability to move the ball through the air this season has cost star receiver Justin Jefferson. He’s on pace for the least productive campaign of his career because the Vikings don’t have anybody capable of throwing him the ball with consistency.

That said, Jefferson is still in position to eclipse 1,000 yards, a milestone that means a lot to him because he’s never missed out on it. He had 30 yards for the Vikings in the win over the Lions. He needs 53 yards next week when the Vikings host the Green Bay Packers to reach quadruple digits.

The fate of Jefferson maintaining his streak of reaching 1,000 yards could hinge on whether young quarterback J.J. McCarthy can return from a hairline fracture in his right hand.

Will Reichard should be going to the Pro Bowl

After missing out on being selected to the Pro Bowl, kicker Will Reichard seemed like he was out to prove the voters got it wrong. He nailed field goals from 52 yards away and 56 yards away to help lead the Vikings past the Lions.

The ease with which Reichard can connect on long field goals is a weapon the Vikings definitely don’t take for granted. He’s now 30 of 32 on field goal attempts this season and a perfect 30 of 30 on extra point attempts.

There might not be a better kicker in the NFL at this point. That’s how good Reichard has proven to be for the Vikings.

Related Articles


The Loop NFL Picks: Week 17


Frederick: Shame on the Vikings for wasting this dominant defense


Harrison Smith leads dominant defensive display as Vikings upset Lions


The Loop Fantasy Football Update Week 17: Last-minute moves


Vikings picks: A second chance for Max Brosmer