Supreme Court faces continued strong disapproval, poll shows

posted in: News | 0

A majority of adults still disapprove of the job the Supreme Court is doing, according to a new poll, and opposition to the 2022 Dobbs decision remains strong among those surveyed.

A poll from Marquette Law School released Tuesday found that 40 percent of adults approve of the Supreme Court’s actions, while 60 percent disapprove. Those approval numbers mark a slight downtick after remaining between 41 and 47 percent approving throughout 2023 in previous Marquette Law School polls.

The court faced a low point of 38 percent approval in July 2022, about a month after justices voted to take away the constitutional right to abortion by overturning Roe v. Wade. Public approval of the court has not risen higher than 47 percent approving since then, according to Marquette Law School polls, compared to approval that reached 66 percent in mid-2020.

Support from Democrats has especially dropped in recent years, with 60 percent of surveyed Democrats approving of the court in September 2020 and just 27 percent approving in February 2024.

Americans have split opinions on the case about the Colorado Supreme Court’s decision to remove former President Donald Trump from ballots ahead of the 2024 election, according to the poll released Tuesday. Of the respondents who have opinions on the matter, 50 percent favor the court overturning the Colorado decision to disqualify Trump, and 50 percent oppose it.

Marquette Law School conducted the poll between Feb. 5 and 15 by surveying 1,003 adults across the country online with a margin of error of plus-or-minus 4.3 percentage points.

Biden’s team is signaling a more aggressive posture toward the press

posted in: Politics | 0

By DAVID BAUDER (AP Media Writer)

NEW YORK (AP) — Occupants of the White House have grumbled over news coverage practically since the place was built. Now it’s Joe Biden’s turn: With a reelection campaign underway, there are signs that those behind the president are starting to more aggressively and publicly challenge how he is portrayed.

Within the past two weeks, an administration aide sent an unusual letter to the White House Correspondents’ Association complaining about coverage of a special counsel’s report on Biden’s handling of classified documents. In addition, the president’s campaign objected to its perception that negative stories about Biden’s age got more attention than remarks by Donald Trump about the NATO alliance.

It’s not quite “enemy of the people” territory. But it is noticeable.

“It is a strategy,” said Frank Sesno, a professor at George Washington University and former CNN Washington bureau chief. “It does several things at once. It makes the press a foil, which is a popular pattern for politicians of all stripes.”

It can also distract voters from bad news. And while some newsrooms quickly dismiss the criticism, he says, others may pause and think twice about what they write.

THE WHITE HOUSE OBJECTS TO THE FRAMING OF STORIES

The letter from Ian Sams, spokesman for the White House counsel’s office, suggested that reporters improperly framed stories about the Feb. 8 release of Special Counsel Robert Hur’s report. Sams pointed to stories by CBS News, The Wall Street Journal, The Associated Press and others emphasizing that Hur had found evidence that Biden willfully retained and disclosed classified material. Sam wrote that much of that so-called evidence didn’t hold up and was negated by Hur’s decision not to press charges.

He said it was critical to address it when “significant errors” like misstating the findings and conclusions of a federal investigation of a president occur.

It was Sams’ second foray into press criticism in a few months; last fall he urged journalists to give more scrutiny to House Republicans and the reasons behind their impeachment inquiry of Biden.

“Everybody makes mistakes, and nobody’s perfect,” Sams told the AP. “But a healthy back and forth over what’s the full story helps make both the press and the government sharper in how the country and world get the news they need to hear.”

Kelly O’Donnell, president of the correspondents’ association and an NBC News correspondent, suggested Sams’ concerns were misdirected and should be addressed to individual news organizations.

“It is inappropriate for the White House to utilize internal pool distribution channels, primarily for logistics and the rapid sharing of need-to-know information, to disseminate generalized critiques of news coverage,” O’Donnell said.

In a separate statement, Biden campaign spokesman T.J. Ducklo criticized media outlets for time spent discussing the 81-year-old president’s age and mental capacity, an issue that was raised anew when Biden addressed the Hur report with reporters. He suggested that was less newsworthy and important than Trump’s NATO comments. Americans deserve a press corps that covers Trump “with the seriousness and ferocity this moment requires,” said Ducklo, who resigned from the White House in 2021 for threatening a reporter.

To be fair, deadline times likely affected the initial disparity in coverage that Ducklo pointed out. And Trump’s remarks have hardly been ignored by media outlets.

A.G. Sulzberger, publisher of The Times, noted in an interview with the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism that Biden’s team had been “extremely upset” about its coverage lately. “We’re not anyone’s opposition,” he said, “and we’re not anyone’s lapdog.”

HOW MUCH IS THE PRESIDENT AVAILABLE?

The criticism comes amid the backdrop of unhappiness among some journalists about how much Biden is made available for questions — an issue that surfaced again when Biden turned down an opportunity to appear before tens of millions of Americans in an interview during the Super Bowl pregame show.

Related Articles

National Politics |


Donald Trump again compares his criminal indictments to imprisonment and death of Putin’s top rival

National Politics |


Election officials in the US face daunting challenges in 2024. And Congress isn’t coming to help

National Politics |


Biden begins California fundraising swing after $42 million haul

National Politics |


Will moving to the middle on immigration deliver electoral success to Democrats in 2024?

National Politics |


She’s not quitting. Takeaways from Nikki Haley’s push to stay in the GOP contest against Trump

The 33 news conferences Biden has given during the first three years of his presidency is lower than any other American president in that time span since Ronald Reagan, said Martha Kumar, a Towson University professor emeritus and expert on presidents and the press. Similarly, the 86 interviews Biden has given is lower than any president since she began studying records with Reagan. By comparison, Barack Obama gave 422 interviews during his first three years.

Instead, Biden prefers more informal appearances where reporters ask a few questions, with comparatively little opportunity for follow-up, she said: The 535 such sessions that Biden conducted was second only to Trump’s 572.

One example followed Biden’s remarks Friday after the death of Russian dissident Aleksey Navalny. Another was Biden’s early evening availability following the release of Hur’s report, a chaotic scene where reporters tried to outshout one another. The president’s performance, and remarks about his forgetfulness that were made in Hur’s report, led to more questions about the impact of age on his ability.

“It did not serve him well,” Kumar said. Some on Biden’s team, meanwhile, believe the president showed a combativeness in the face of criticism that Americans will appreciate.

Sesno said he can understand the Biden team’s worry that the president’s fitness for the job becomes a story they lose control of, much like former President Gerald Ford’s stumbles led to the perception that he was a bumbler. Nikki Usher, a media professor at the University of San Diego, said she was surprised that Biden’s team hadn’t become more aggressive earlier.

“He needs to jump out in front of the narrative,” Usher said.

The Biden pushback seems mild in comparison to Trump’s epic badmouthing of news organizations like CNN and The New York Times. Republican voters, in general, are much more apt to respond to efforts that make journalists the villain. Democrats, meanwhile, tend to have a greater appreciation for the press’ role in a democracy, Usher says, so the Biden team has to be more careful with attacks.

Particularly with the age issue, there’s only so much that the president’s team can say, Sesno said: “People will make up their minds based on what they see and hear from Joe Biden.”

David Bauder covers media for The Associated Press. Follow him at http://twitter.com/dbauder

Donald Trump again compares his criminal indictments to imprisonment and death of Putin’s top rival

posted in: Politics | 0

By BILL BARROW and JONATHAN J. COOPER (Associated Press)

GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) — Donald Trump doubled down Tuesday on comparing his criminal indictments to the circumstances of Russian dissident Alexei Navalny, the top political opponent of Russia’s autocratic leader Vladimir Putin who died in a remote arctic prison after being jailed by the Kremlin leader.

Appearing on a Fox News Channel town hall pre-taped before a live audience in Greenville, South Carolina, Trump bemoaned Navalny’s death, which President Joe Biden and other Western leaders have blamed on Putin. Trump then pivoted to himself, repeating his assertions that the prosecutions against him are driven by politics despite no evidence that Biden or the White House ordered them.

“Navalny is a very sad situation and he’s very brave, he was a very brave guy,” Trump said in response to a question from Fox News Channel’s Laura Ingraham. “He went back, he could have stayed away, and frankly probably would have been a lot better off staying away and talking from outside of the country as opposed to having to go back in, because people thought that could happen, and it did happen.

“And it’s a horrible thing, but it’s happening in our country, too,” Trump continued, suggesting his criminal indictments — which include two cases stemming from his efforts to overturn his 2020 defeat — are proof that the U.S. is “turning into a communist country in many ways.”

“I got indicted four times … all because of the fact that I’m in politics,” Trump said. “They indicted me on things that are so ridiculous.”

He extended the comparison to his loss in a civil fraud trial last week, in which a New York judge ordered Trump to pay $355 million in penalties after finding he lied about his wealth for years. With interest, Trump owes the state about $454 million.

“It is a form of Navalny,” Trump said. “It is a form of communism, of fascism.”

He did not give a clear answer when asked whether he would post a bond covering the judgment, which is one way he’d be able to avoid having to pay the full amount while he appeals.

Related Articles

National Politics |


Election officials in the US face daunting challenges in 2024. And Congress isn’t coming to help

National Politics |


Biden begins California fundraising swing after $42 million haul

National Politics |


Will moving to the middle on immigration deliver electoral success to Democrats in 2024?

National Politics |


She’s not quitting. Takeaways from Nikki Haley’s push to stay in the GOP contest against Trump

National Politics |


Haley is sharpening contrasts with Trump in South Carolina primary’s closing days

Trump made no mention of Putin, part of his longstanding pattern of refusing to denounce and often complimenting the Russian leader going back to when he was in the White House. But his remarks come as House Republicans have refused to provide more funding to Ukraine in its defense against Russia’s invasion and as many in the Republican Party grow more accepting of Russian expansionism.

Putin recently suggested he preferred Biden in the White House to Trump. U.S. intelligence assessments of both the 2016 and 2020 elections found that Russia was behind influence operations to boost Trump at the expense of his Democratic Party opponents.

Ingraham interrupted Trump at the town hall Tuesday to ask whether he believed he could become a “potential political prisoner” for the rest of his life like Navalny. Trump sidestepped the question.

“If I were losing in the polls, they wouldn’t even be talking about me and I wouldn’t have had any legal fees,” he answered. “If I were out, I think — although they hate me so much, I think if I got out they’d still, ‘let’s pursue this guy, we can’t stand this guy.’”

The Fox town hall, recorded Tuesday afternoon and broadcast during Ingraham’s primetime hour on the network, marked Trump’s first extended remarks about Navalny since Russian officials announced his death. The town hall came four days before Trump competes against Nikki Haley in South Carolina’s Republican presidential primary.

Ingraham began the discussion by offering Trump, who has praised Putin for years as a strong leader, a chance to clarify his only previous public reference to Navalny’s demise. In a social media post 72 hours after Russian officials confirmed Navalny had died, Trump broke his silence without mentioning Putin or Navalny’s family.

“The sudden death of Alexei Navalny has made me more and more aware of what is happening in our Country,” he wrote before blasting “CROOKED, Radical Left Politicians, Prosecutors, and Judges leading us down a path to destruction” and repeating his false claims that U.S. elections are riddled with fraud.

Cooper reported from Phoenix.

Metro Transit bus driver fatally strikes pedestrian in St. Paul’s Highland Park

posted in: Society | 0

The driver of a Metro Transit bus fatally struck a pedestrian in St. Paul’s Highland Park early Wednesday, according to Metro Transit police.

Preliminary information showed the bus was heading east on Ford Parkway and hit a man as he crossed in front of it at Macalester Street, said Nikki Muehlhausen, a police spokesperson. It was a Metro A line bus.

Metro Transit police and St. Paul fire responded to the crash, which happened shortly before 12:45 a.m. Despite life-saving attempts, paramedics pronounced the man dead at the scene, Muehlhausen said.

The bus driver will be placed on administrative leave, which Muehlhausen said is standard procedure.

Metro Transit police’s accident reconstruction team is investigating the cause of the crash with assistance from the Minnesota State Patrol.

Related Articles

Crime & Public Safety |


Children were in room with man who killed Burnsville officers and firefighter, and shot himself, mother says

Crime & Public Safety |


‘Heroic actions’ of law enforcement meant safety for family in Burnsville home, says relative of gunman’s girlfriend

Crime & Public Safety |


Man who killed 2 Burnsville officers, firefighter died from self-inflicted gunshot wound, medical examiner confirms

Crime & Public Safety |


Donation platform announced for families of Burnsville’s fallen first responders as second vigil is held

Crime & Public Safety |


What to know about the Minnesota shooting that killed 2 police officers and a firefighter