Twins announce radio, broadcast schedules for 2024 season

posted in: News | 0

For the seventh time in Twins history, all 162 games they play this upcoming season will be televised. But they’ll have a distinctly different sound this year than they have for the past four decades.

Cory Provus will take over for Dick Bremer, who spent 40 years in the broadcast booth, and he’ll be joined by a rotating cast of six analysts. They include former Twins players Justin Morneau, Roy Smalley, LaTroy Hawkins, Glen Perkins and Trevor Plouffe, who will take on a larger role than he held last season. New this year, former Twins outfielder Denard Span will join the mix.

Bally Sports North will carry 159 of the Twins’ games this season, two games will be on AppleTV+ (May 17, June 7) and one game will be aired nationally on FOX (July 13). Five more games will be aired both on BSN and either FS1 or TBS.

The Twins, whose long-term deal with Diamond Sports Group, the parent company of Bally Sports North, expired after last season, reached an agreement on a one-year extension earlier this month.

For fans, that means that nothing will change this year in the way they access games.

Over on the radio side, fans will also encounter a different sound with Kris Atteberry taking over play-by-play duties for Provus. He’ll be joined by longtime color analyst Dan Gladden. Gladden will be calling fewer games than in years past as the Twins also introduce Perkins and Paul Molitor to the radio booth.

Those games can be found on the Treasure Island Baseball Network, in addition to WCCO and The Wolf. They’ll also be available to stream through the Audacy App.

The Twins also will have 50 games broadcasted in Spanish with hall of famer Tony Oliva joining Alfonso Fernandez on the call. All of those games can be found through LosTwins.com or via the SAP option on Bally Sports North.

Related Articles

Minnesota Twins |


One month from Opening Day, here’s what Twins’ roster could look like

Minnesota Twins |


Twins acquire outfielder Manuel Margot in trade with Dodgers

Minnesota Twins |


Longest-tenured Twin Max Kepler grateful to be back in Minnesota

Minnesota Twins |


Charley Walters: Timberwolves buyers may need another extension

Minnesota Twins |


After offseason uncertainty, infielder Kyle Farmer ‘ecstatic’ to be back with Twins

Northern Ireland judge rules that amnesty law for ‘the Troubles’ breaches human rights

posted in: News | 0

LONDON (AP) — A new law that gives immunity from prosecution for most offenses committed during Northern Ireland’s decades of sectarian violence is not compliant with human rights, a judge in Belfast ruled Wednesday.

The British government’s Legacy and Reconciliation Bill, passed in September, stops most prosecutions for alleged killings by militant groups and British soldiers during “the Troubles” — the period in Northern Ireland from the 1960s to the ’90s in which more than 3,500 people died.

The law was widely opposed by people in Northern Ireland and the Irish government. Critics say it shuts down access to justice for victims and survivors.

Ruling in a legal challenge brought by victims and their families, Justice Adrian Colton said the law’s provision for conditional immunity from prosecution breaches the European Convention on Human Rights.

The judge also said the law will not contribute to peace in Northern Ireland.

“There is no evidence that the granting of immunity under the act will in any way contribute to reconciliation in Northern Ireland; indeed the evidence is to the contrary,” he said at Belfast High Court.

Colton also ruled that a new body set up to probe Troubles killings, to be loosely modeled on South Africa’s post-apartheid Truth and Reconciliation Commission, could carry out human rights-compliant investigations.

Britain’s government said it will consider the ruling carefully but added that it remained “committed” to implementing the legacy bill.

The 1998 Good Friday peace accord largely ended violence in Northern Ireland, and British authorities say the law will allow the country to move on.

But those who lost loved ones have said the law would airbrush the past and allow killers to get away with murder. Dozens of legacy inquests have yet to be heard.

Ongoing lawsuits include a case brought against former Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams by three people who were wounded in bombings attributed to the Irish Republican Army more than 50 years ago.

The case is likely to be one of the last court efforts by victims seeking justice.

In December, the Irish government launched a separate legal case against Britain’s government over the Troubles law at the European Court of Human Rights.

Related Articles

World News |


Irfan Galaria: I’m an American doctor who went to Gaza. Here’s what I saw

World News |


UK’s Prince William pulls out of memorial service for his godfather because of ‘personal matter’

World News |


Air Force member has died after setting himself on fire outside the Israeli embassy in DC

World News |


Trudy Rubin: A bad case of Putin-envy prevents Trump from calling out the death of Alexei Navalny

World News |


Other voices: Countering Putin requires concerted action

Live updates: Memorial service today for Burnsville’s three fallen first responders

posted in: Politics | 0

Preparations are underway this morning at Grace Church, where three Burnsville first responders will be memorialized at 11 a.m.

At the main entrance to the church, firefighters with the Burnsville and Savage fire departments used ladder trucks to raise a large U.S. flag over Mitchell Road in Eden Prairie. Law enforcement and other emergency workers walked in droves under the flag to file into the church.

Just after 7:30 a.m., two military personnel carried U.S. and Minnesota flags onto the altar. Large portraits of slain Officers Paul Elmstrand and Matthew Ruge, and Firefighter/Paramedic Adam Finseth are propped up on the church altar, which is adorned with red and white flowers.

Little American flags are in the ground around the large church.

Small flags line a driveway as people arrive at a memorial service for three slain Burnsville first responders at Grace Church in Eden Prairie on Wednesday, Feb. 28, 2024. (John Autey / Pioneer Press)

“We know that the people from Burnsville across the state and truly from across the country want to help honor” Ruge and Elmstrand, both 27, and Finseth, 40, during the memorial service, said Howie Padilla, Minnesota Department of Public Safety spokesman, on Monday.

Thousands of law enforcement, firefighter and paramedic personnel will attend the service.

For the public, “watching the livestream and joining us on the procession routes are the best way to show your support and honor the fallen,” Padilla said. People are invited to gather to watch the live broadcast at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 13801 Fairview Drive, in Burnsville. Doors will open at 9:30 a.m.

The Pioneer Press will share the live broadcast at 11 a.m. at TwinCities.com.

Live video and audio of today’s memorial service will also be available at grace.live and youtube.com/gracechurchmn.

The procession, to be held after the memorial service, is expected to start about 2 p.m. and last several hours. The route can be viewed on Canva.

Traffic delays and congestion should be expected throughout Eden Prairie most of today, especially near Grace Church, according to the city.

The Burnsville-Eagan-Savage School District 191 canceled school for today, saying it was “due to planned road closures and expected impacts to transportation throughout the area.”

The first responders were killed after they responded to a 911 call in Burnsville on Feb. 18. A man had barricaded himself in a home with seven children. As officers tried to convince him to surrender peacefully, he opened fire “without warning,” authorities have said.

He shot Ruge and Elmstrand, and then Finseth as he tried to aid the officers. Also injured was Burnsville police Sgt. Adam Medlicott, who has been released from the hospital.

Related Articles

Crime & Public Safety |


Here’s what to know about today’s memorial service for Burnsville’s first responders

Crime & Public Safety |


‘One big family’: Law enforcement, firefighters from other agencies handling Burnsville’s emergency calls

Crime & Public Safety |


As police officer spouses prepare 4,000 blue and red roses for memorial service, ‘We’re thinking about them’

Crime & Public Safety |


Gun found at Burnsville shooting scene traced to legal purchase in January, business owner says

Crime & Public Safety |


‘Unprecedented attendance’ expected for Wednesday’s memorial service for 3 Burnsville first responders

Chicago Bears working on a deal to hire Shane Waldron as their new offensive coordinator

posted in: News | 0

The Chicago Bears are working on a deal to hire Shane Waldron as their new offensive coordinator, multiple league sources confirmed Monday morning.

Waldron has been the Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator for the last three seasons and helped quarterback Geno Smith to a comeback season in 2022. Before that, Waldron spent four seasons with the Los Angeles Rams as the passing game coordinator, quarterbacks coach and tight ends coach.

He is well-respected inside league circles as a young, energetic coach on the rise and a strong teacher with a creative mind and — especially important to the Bears — three seasons of play-calling experience.

NFL Network first reported the Bears are planning to hire Waldron.

The Bears reportedly interviewed at least nine candidates for the opening, including San Francisco 49ers passing game coordinator Klint Kubiak, former Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman, former Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Thomas Brown and former Arizona Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury.

Waldron would replace Luke Getsy, whom coach Matt Eberflus fired earlier this month after two seasons at the helm of the Bears offense. In the search for Getsy’s replacement, Eberflus emphasized his desire to find a new offensive coordinator who is a “great teacher.”

“That’s important because you know he has to coach the coaches to coach the position, and I think that’s the No. 1 trait of any great coach,” Eberflus said. “You have to be able to have the innovation to really look at the players you have and be able to help enhance and put those guys in position to succeed and to get explosive (plays) and to move the ball down the field.”

Waldron would take over a Bears offense that has major decisions ahead this offseason at quarterback. General manager Ryan Poles must decide whether to use the No. 1 draft pick to select a quarterback — potentially USC’s Caleb Williams — or to stick with Justin Fields, the Bears starter for the last three seasons.

Poles said he expected to ask candidates for their plans to coach different kinds of quarterbacks.

“I love it because what are you going to do for these four different types of quarterbacks,” Poles said. “I want to hear that, and I think it’s really important to hear the versatility and adaptability in their teaching, in the way they implement a plan, scheme, adjust. It actually makes it pretty dynamic in terms of the interview process.”

Waldron called plays in 2021 for a Seahawks offense piloted by Russell Wilson. In 2022, after Wilson was traded to the Denver Broncos, the Seahawks pivoted to Smith and won nine games while earning a wild-card berth.

Smith, in his 10th NFL season, was honored as the league’s Comeback Player of the Year after throwing for 4,282 yards and 30 touchdowns. Both marks would be single-season franchise records for the Bears.

This season the Seahawks ranked 21st in total offense (322.9 yards per game) and 14th in passing (230 ypg). They averaged 21.4 points, ranked 17th. That was down from 2022, when they averaged 351.5 yards (13th) and 23.9 points (ninth).

The Seahawks staff is looking for new jobs after the organization and coach Pete Carroll parted ways after a 14-year union.

In addition to working closely with Wilson and Smith, Waldron worked with quarterback Jared Goff for three seasons with the Rams.

Waldron served as an offensive assistant with the New England Patriots (2008-09) and Washington (2016) and worked in operations with the Patriots early in his career. He also has coached in college, high school and the UFL.

Waldron and the Bears must hire assistants to coach the quarterbacks, wide receivers and running backs after the team dismissed Andrew Janocko, Tyke Tolbert and Omar Young earlier this month. Offensive line coach Chris Morgan and tight ends coach Jim Dray remain on the staff.

The Bears also are seeking a defensive coordinator, and NFL Network reported Monday they will interview Tennessee Titans defensive pass game coordinator Chris Harris. Harris played safety in the NFL for eight seasons, including two stints with the Bears, and started for the 2006 Bears team that went to the Super Bowl.

More Bears news

Bears Q&A: Did GM Ryan Poles miss a chance at a big-name coach? How desirable are the coordinator openings?
Column: Keeping Jaylon Johnson is paramount for the Bears — but will they make him the NFL’s highest-paid cornerback?
5 player decisions besides QB facing the Bears, including Jaylon Johnson’s contract and Darnell Mooney’s future
Bears GM Ryan Poles staying ‘open-minded’ as he evaluates whether to keep Justin Fields or draft a QB at No. 1
Caleb Williams declares for the NFL draft — and the Bears, picking No. 1, ‘can’t be scared of the unknown,’ analyst says
Column: How can GM Ryan Poles fix the cycle that has plagued the Bears forever? Pick the right quarterback.
Bears President Kevin Warren says building a ‘magnificent’ downtown stadium remains a possibility