Eagan man convicted in 2005 stranger rape of Wisconsin college student

posted in: Society | 0

A jury in Wisconsin has convicted an Eagan man of raping a college student by knifepoint near a bike path in Madison nearly two decades ago.

DNA from the victim’s sexual assault kit led to the identification of Aidison Yang in 2021, according to last year’s Dane Court Circuit Court criminal complaint charging him with three counts of first-degree sexual assault by use of a dangerous weapon.

Aidison Yang (Courtesy of the Carver County Sheriff’s Office)

Jurors deliberated about three and a half hours last week before finding Yang, 42, guilty of all three counts in the October 2005 attack. Yang’s sentencing date has not been set.

“After all these years we are finally able to hold Aidison Yang accountable for this horrible crime,” Madison Police Detective Kelly Dougherty said in a statement issued by the Wisconsin Department of Justice after the verdict. She said it has been “incredibly inspiring” working with the victim.

After the DNA match, law enforcement discovered that Yang lived in Madison at the time of the attack. In recent years, he lived in Lakeville and on St. Paul’s East Side before moving to Eagan.

According to the complaint, a Madison police detective learned in September 2021 that there was a match in a national law enforcement database that linked the rape suspect’s DNA to Yang.

The complaint does not specify why Yang’s DNA was in the national database, but does mention that in 2020 he was convicted in Hennepin County of criminal vehicular operation-causing substantial bodily harm while under the influence of alcohol. As part of Yang’s sentence, he was ordered to submit a DNA sample, court records show.

He followed her on bike path

The 22-year-old woman, a University of Wisconsin-Madison graduate student, reported to police on Oct. 15, 2005, that she had been sexually assaulted by a stranger just off a bike path in the Atwood neighborhood on the city’s east side.

After Dougherty learned of the DNA match, she re-interviewed the woman in 2022. She told the detective that she left her home around 8 p.m. to walk to a coffee shop. While on the path, she noticed a man following her. He caught up with her and with a knife in his hand said, “You had better come with me,” she told the detective.

She said he pulled her off the path and over to some trees and said, “Don’t scream or I will kill you.” He put her on the ground and raped her.

She said she kept her hand on his hand that was holding the knife because she was afraid she was going to die. The man ran away with her purse.

She ran home and immediately reported the assault. Police took her to the hospital, where a sexual assault nurse examiner checked for injuries and collected evidentiary swabs from her body.

Yang lived in Madison, then Twin Cities

After the DNA match, Dougherty and other investigators began looking into where Yang was living at the time of the assault.

Dougherty learned that about six months before the attack, Yang, while living in Madison, was charged in Dane County with possession of methamphetamine and carrying a concealed weapon. He pleaded guilty to the weapons charge and was sentenced in November 2005.

An agent with the Wisconsin Department of Justice reviewed Yang’s income tax records, which showed he filed for the years 2006, 2008 and 2009-14, with a Madison address. Yang’s income tax records showed he lived in Lakeville in 2017 and in 2019, and on St. Paul’s East Side in 2018, the complaint said. His first name was also spelled “Addison” in a record.

Yang was arrested in Chanhassen on Feb. 10, 2023, a day after the charges were filed. He was booked into the Carver County jail, pending extradition to Wisconsin, which happened a month later.

In Yang’s Hennepin County case, the complaint said he was driving drunk in Brooklyn Park, ran a stop sign while speeding at 60 mph and crashed into the side of a car. The other driver sustained a broken collarbone and arm.

The complaint also said Yang was convicted of driving while impaired in Wisconsin in October 2010.

Yang has one other conviction in Minnesota, for giving a peace officer a false name after a traffic stop in Edina in 2021.

Related Articles

Crime & Public Safety |


After eulogies for Burnsville’s three fallen first responders, ‘the nicest people,’ long procession

Crime & Public Safety |


‘One big family’: Law enforcement, firefighters from other agencies handling Burnsville’s emergency calls

Crime & Public Safety |


Final defendant pleads guilty in fatal shooting of Alex Becker in St. Paul alley

Crime & Public Safety |


Vietnam vet dies a month after reported assault at Harriet Island Regional Park

Crime & Public Safety |


Gun found at Burnsville shooting scene traced to legal purchase in January, business owner says

Twin Cities sees a swing of 48 degrees as warm air mass bumps into frigid stuff from Canada

posted in: News | 0

Warmer than average temperatures on Tuesday gave way to frigid cold Wednesday as the Twin Cities saw a 48-degree swing, according to the National Weather Service in Chanhassen.

Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport recorded a high of 53 on Tuesday, followed by a low of 5 degrees Wednesday. The Twin Cities also received a dusting of snow Tuesday evening.

NWS Metereologist Brennan Dettmann said it would certainly be “within the top ten” of day-to-day temperature records, though he didn’t have historical data immediately available. Much of the rest of the state also experienced swings of temperatures around 40 to 50 degrees or so, he noted.

What’s causing it?

“Things are starting to warm up as the sun angle changes, you get … warmer weather at higher latitudes,” Dettmann said. “You start to get big temperature differences between air masses in Canada and near the equator … you get those really quick shifts in temperatures. We’re right in the middle line of where those air masses fluctuate.”

Don’t expect the cold to stick around, though. Dettmann said temperatures are forecast to start climbing back into the 40s and 50s, and even 60s by this weekend — which is roughly 20 degrees warmer for this time of the year.

Dettmann said this is his first winter in the Twin Cities.

“It certainly stands out for how warm it’s been and it’s been one of the least  snowiest winters ever,” he said. “This is unofficially in contention for the warmest winter (on record).”

Related Articles

News |


Enjoy the spring-like warmth? Temperatures will plummet to single digits Tuesday.

News |


White Bear Lake: If ice-out contest is underway, spring can’t be far away

News |


7 inches but no snow emergency in St. Paul? Here’s why.

News |


Newspaper delivery delayed by up to two hours on Thursday

News |


Valentine’s Day snow was a record breaker for the Twin Cities

John Shipley: Wild’s biggest game of the year? You betcha.

posted in: News | 0

After a disappointing, 3-2 loss to Carolina on Tuesday at Xcel Energy Center, the Wild find themselves six points out of a Western Conference playoff spot with 23 regular-season games remaining.

So, the Wild aren’t dead yet, and in fact have been playing well, 7-2-1 since returning to the all-star break to rise two places in the conference standings. But, boy, their margin for error is thin.

Which makes Thursday night’s game against the Predators in Nashville the kind of game that can make or break this belated run at making the playoffs for the third straight season, fourth if you include the 2020 COVID season.

Right?

“No,” head coach John Hynes said after Tuesday’s game.

“I think this time of year, you’ve gotta be a little leery of getting into, ‘This is the biggest game of the year,’ ” the coach added. “It’s an emotional time of the year. Every game matters, but it’s not like we’re at Game 72 or 73 right now.”

What else is he going to say? Any coach in any sport will tell you, with a straight face, that anything other than an elimination game is not a must-win game, and Thursday’s game against the surging Predators isn’t close to being an elimination game, nor is Saturday’s game at St. Louis.

But let’s be real; they’re close enough.

“They’re not just any other games,” general manager Bill Guerin said Wednesday. “These are huge. These are the two teams ahead of us, and we’ve got a chance to close the gap. These are huge games for us.”

Nashville has won six straight for the current claim on the second conference wild card playoff spot in the West, and virtually tied with Los Angeles for the first, six points ahead of Minnesota. Thursday represents a four-point sway for both teams. A Minnesota loss puts the Wild eight back with 22 games left.

That’s farther out than the Wild were after losing consecutive home games to Nashville and Anaheim on Jan. 25 and Jan. 27. These are the wages of the Wild’s 5-10-4 start, which concluded with a seven-game losing streak and head coach Dean Evason losing his job.

Losing at home to Carolina, a good team the Wild were nevertheless outplaying for most of the first two periods, stung. Yeah, it wasn’t a conference game, but it was two points they had in their grasp and let drop.

“Hynesy just said something very valuable, that we can’t get too low on losses here and we can’t get too high on wins,” defenseman Declan Chisholm said after the game. “It’s an emotional time, for sure. We’ve gotta play the long game and just stick with it.”

But the long game is becoming shorter, especially with the March 8 trade deadline looming. How close do the Wild need to be for Guerin not to cut bait on the season and try to get something for impending free agents such as Nick Bogosian, Brandon Duhaime or, if possible, Pat Maroon?

Guerin already has added a body, 2020 second-round draft pick Marat Khusnutdinov, who will join the Wild as soon as his work visa is secured. Whether anyone might be leaving is unclear.

“I just gotta play it by ear,” Guerin said. “I haven’t made any decisions on anybody yet. I’ve had plenty of discussions about a lot of different scenarios, but I don’t know yet.”

Since Hynes became coach on Nov. 28, the Wild are 23-14-2, a significant improvement, no doubt. But the team also has spit the bit on a few crucial games this season, most notably those two losses before the all-star break. Beating Nashville, a team the Wild beat 6-1 in their previous meeting, would have pulled Minnesota within two points of eighth place.

Instead, they played a fairly uninspired game and lost, 3-2, then inexplicably lost to a terrible Anaheim team two days later. The Wild have played well enough to stay in it, and have beaten some good teams, but not well enough to get over the hump.

In that sense, a win Thursday at Bridgestone Arena would be something of a first this season, and a loss would be another kick in the shins.

It’s true, Thursday’s game in Nashville won’t literally make or break the season, but it will go a long way toward pushing it in either direction.

It’s the biggest game of the year.

Related Articles

Minnesota Wild |


John Shipley: Can the Wild rally for a playoff spot? Trust the standings

Minnesota Wild |


John Shipley: Wild coaching change has worked, but it’s still up to the players

St. Paul City Council walks out as Nelsie Yang attempts to introduce Gaza cease-fire resolution

posted in: Society | 0

Just as the regularly-scheduled meeting of the St. Paul City Council came to a close on Wednesday, Council Member Nelsie Yang asked for permission to introduce a resolution under a suspension of the rules.

Her request was cut short mid-sentence by Council President Mitra Jalali, who was in the process of banging her gavel to end the meeting as it was being made.

“I’m sorry, we just adjourned, Ms. Yang. I’m happy to talk to you about it afterward,” she said.

The council president then walked out of the chambers with the five other council members, eliciting boos and shouts of condemnation from a large crowd of pro-Palestinian advocates in the audience.

“That’s really unacceptable,” said Yang, repeatedly objecting to the sudden walk-out.

“There is only one solution!” chanted the crowd in unison. “Cease-fire resolution!”

Yang’s proposed resolution calls for the St. Paul City Council to condemn the Israeli military strikes that have decimated large swathes of Gaza since October, leaving some 30,000 Palestinians dead, most of them women and children.

Similar resolutions, each with their own wording, have been approved by city councils in Minneapolis, Hastings and some 70 other cities, including Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta and Providence, R.I. in a growing effort to pressure the Biden administration to encourage a cease-fire, if not halt U.S. military aid to Israel entirely.

Israel has been steadily bombing Gaza since the attacks of Oct. 7, in which the militant Palestinian organization Hamas — designated a terrorist organization by the U.S. State Department — killed about 1,200 people, mostly Israeli civilians. Another 250 people were abducted.

In St. Paul, four newly-elected council members have declined to meet with protesters or take questions from the media about their opposition to a cease-fire resolution.

Noecker on Monday said a council vote would have no bearing on international relations or the day-to-day work of City Hall, and Jalali, a cease-fire proponent, said she did not have sufficient votes to move a resolution forward.

St. Paul Mayor Melvin Carter has appeared disinterested in forcing the issue.

“What you saw here was so undemocratic,” said Yang, addressing the protesters, who have shown up at council meetings each Wednesday for the past month and shut down unrelated council hearings with their chanting a week ago. “From St. Paul’s most progressive city council, this was a poor example of what public leadership is.”

Director of Council Operations Brynn Hausz later noted in an email that council members at any time can work on a resolution and meet with their colleagues to share language, receive amendments and potentially bring them forward for consideration as a noticed item on the regular meeting agenda, yet no council member has done so.

Yang said she would submit her proposed resolution for the council’s consideration next Wednesday, though the council president has the authority to strike it from the meeting agenda beforehand. Introducing a resolution during a meeting in process under a suspension of the rules would require a two-thirds vote of the council.

Related Articles

Local News |


St. Paul City Council approves more than $40 million in spending on parks and streets from new sales tax

Local News |


Final defendant pleads guilty in fatal shooting of Alex Becker in St. Paul alley

Local News |


St. Paul Public Schools floats arbitration to avoid March teachers strike

Local News |


Vietnam vet dies a month after reported assault at Harriet Island Regional Park

Local News |


St. Paul City Council to back sales tax spending for Grand Avenue, parks projects