Judge orders Trump removed from Illinois primary ballot

posted in: Politics | 0

An Illinois judge ruled Wednesday that former President Donald Trump’s name should be struck from the March 19 Illinois Republican primary ballot because he engaged in insurrection in the deadly Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol and is disqualified from holding the office of president.

Cook County Judge Tracie Porter made her ruling based on the case law surrounding the Colorado Supreme Court’s 4-3 decision in December that removed Trump from that state’s ballot based on the “insurrection clause” of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The U.S. Supreme Court is reviewing the Colorado decision.

While Porter ruled primary votes cast for Trump should not be counted by Illinois election officials, she stayed the effect of her ruling until March 1 in anticipation of an appeal in higher state courts and a ruling from the nation’s highest court in the Colorado case.

Related Articles

National Politics |


Supreme Court sets April arguments over whether Trump can be prosecuted for election interference

National Politics |


Bail clampdowns don’t match what research says about suspects, experts say

National Politics |


Can conservative Latin American populists motivate the Hispanic vote? Republicans are counting on it

National Politics |


Chatbots’ inaccurate, misleading responses about U.S. elections threaten to keep voters from polls

National Politics |


Michigan takeaways: Presidential primaries show warning signs for Trump and Biden

Porter ruled that in signing his statement of candidacy for the Illinois Republican primary ballot on Jan. 4, Trump “falsely swore” that he was “‘legally qualified’ for the office he sought because the Colorado Supreme Court had already ruled that the former president “had been found to engage in insurrection.”

Porter’s ruling came in an appeal of the Illinois State Board of Elections’ Jan. 30 decision to reject an effort to disqualify Trump from the primary ballot due to his role in the U.S. Capitol riot, which was aimed at preventing the count of Electoral College votes from the states that made Democrat Joe Biden president.

Under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, those who have taken an oath to uphold the Constitution “as an officer of the United States,” shall not be able to serve in Congress or “hold any office, civil or military” if they have engaged in “insurrection or rebellion” against the Constitution.

In its 8-0 bipartisan vote, the elections board allowed Trump’s name to stay on the ballot and rejected an objection that he “knowingly” lied by signing a statement of candidacy attesting he was qualified to hold the office of the presidency.

Porter, in her ruling, found the State Board of Election’s decision that Trump was eligible for the ballot because he did not “knowingly” file a false statement of candidacy was “without basis and contrary to existing Illinois law.”

Regardless of how Porter had ruled in the case, it was expected that an appeal would be filed, with proponents of Trump’s removal from the ballot seeking to get the issue to the Illinois Supreme Court, where Democrats hold a 5-2 advantage. The Colorado case was decided on a party-line vote led by Democrats.

The Trump campaign swiftly vowed to appeal Porter’s ruling.

“Today, an activist Democrat judge in Illinois summarily overruled the state’s Board of Elections and contradicted earlier decisions from dozens of other state and federal jurisdictions,” Trump campaign spokesman Steven Cheung said in a statement. “This is an unconstitutional ruling that we will quickly appeal. In the meantime, President Trump remains on the Illinois ballot, is dominating the polls and will Make America Great Again!”

The case to remove Trump was brought on behalf of a group of Illinois voters backed by the organization Free Speech for People, which has pushed similar legal challenges to the former president’s access to the ballot in other states on 14th Amendment grounds.

“This is a historic victory,” Ron Fein, the legal director of Free Speech For People, said in a statement. “Every court or official that has addressed the merits of Trump’s constitutional eligibility has found that he engaged in insurrection after taking the oath of office and is therefore disqualified from the presidency.”

Porter said she found the Colorado Supreme Court majority’s opinion was “well-articulated, rational and established in historic context.”

“This court shares the Colorado Supreme Court’s sentiments that (it) did not reach its conclusions lightly. This court also realizes the magnitude of this decision and its impact on the upcoming primary Illinois elections,” Porter wrote.

In her ruling, the judge said she also took into account the findings of a State Board of Elections hearing examiner, Clark Erickson, a retired Republican judge from Kankakee County, that Trump had “engaged in insurrection” based on the findings of “a legally authorized investigation by the U.S. House of Representatives.”

At North Loop’s new Dario, handmade pasta is the star

posted in: All news, Society | 0

My name is Jess, and I love pasta.

Fresh noodles and dumplings are the food I’m probably most likely to overindulge in if given the chance.

It’s so hard to find really great fresh pasta, though. Stuffed pastas must be rolled thinly, and the inside ingredients must be the right consistency — not too thick or chewy, but also not too runny. And die- or hand-cut pastas must be cooked in a flash, leaving some springiness in the center.

Pasta — good, handmade pasta — is also very labor intensive.

So when I saw Dario’s menu, with 10 fresh pasta options, I was eager to see what the new North Loop restaurant from chef Joe Rolle, formerly of Borough, Il Foro and Martina, was up to.

A few girlfriends and I had tickets to a show in downtown Minneapolis recently, so I made a reservation.

The Wittkamper Studio-designed restaurant, with its retro/modern pastel pink, teal and white accents, turned out to be the perfect spot for a ladies’ night out.

We were seated close enough to see the action in the muted pink-tiled kitchen and to peep the equipment in the glass-enclosed pasta room — used by day to mix and roll out the noodles and dumplings and by night as extra seating or space for private dining.

Good cocktails are a boon to any ladies’ night, and Stephen Rowe, who worked for a decade at the now-closed Marvel Bar, has created an excellent menu of classic and not-so-classic drinks. Many of the original creations skew toward the lower-alcohol end of the spectrum, and a few of us enjoyed the slightly sweet and complex rum-based Kelly Kapowski and the floral, delicate gin-based The Gardener’s Break.

Dario’s menu, which is made for sharing, is more than just pasta — raw dishes, vegetables and main dishes are all available. We were in a time crunch so decided to start with a few vegetables, move into pasta and sample the brick chicken, sort of as an afterthought.

Marinated beets at Dario in Minneapolis’ North Loop. (Jess Fleming / Pioneer Press)

Butternut squash scarpinocc at Dario in Minneapolis’ North Loop. (Jess Fleming / Pioneer Press)

Beef short rib agnolotti at Dario in Minneapolis’ North Loop. (Jess Fleming / Pioneer Press)

Spicy rigatoni alla vodka at Dario in Minneapolis’ North Loop. (Jess Fleming / Pioneer Press)

of

Expand

The marinated beets featured larger wedges of the root vegetable draped with pretty, thin beet ribbons and topped with some dill pickle chips and little sprigs of dill. A sauce gribiche, which featured finely chopped hard-boiled egg, tied the whole thing together.

Grilled cabbage, served piled into a little hut disguising creamy, horseradish-spiked potatoes beneath, was up next, a stick-to-your-ribs, very northern European-feeling dish. And because we are good midwesterners, we followed that with the crispy potatoes, topped with creamy melted comte cheese and sweet caramelized onions. No one complained about the extra potatoes.

And the pasta! It was as wonderful and varied and delicious as I had dared hope.

Silky spaghetti spiked with briny blue crab, mild Meyer lemon and a little kick of chili. Perfectly textured rigatoni, a bright vodka sauce nestled between the pasta’s ridges, with fennel-spiked sausage providing richness. Little envelopes of agnolotti stuffed with short rib so tender and beefy that it melted on my tongue, paired with a funky hit of gorgonzola. And my favorite, scarpinocc, stuffed with sweet butternut squash, its little dimple a genius vehicle for nutty browned butter and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

The afterthought brick chicken was also fantastic — ultra juicy with a lovely sear and a briny, nutty, browned butter-caper sauce.

We didn’t have time for dessert, but given the outstanding quality of the rest of the menu, I can guarantee that when I return, which will be soon, I’ll make time to give it a try.

Dario

Where: 323 N. Washington Ave., Minneapolis

Contact: 612-614-2560; dariorestaurant.com

Prices: First courses and vegetables, $14-$30; pastas, $23-$29; fish and meat, $26-$62

Good to know: North Loop parking can be a challenge; ride share or public transportation is a good idea. Pastas are hand-made and cannot be made gluten-free. Reservations recommended.

Small Bites are first glances — not intended as definitive reviews — of new or changed restaurants.

Related Articles

Restaurants, Food and Drink |


Owamni’s ticketed tasting menu is worth the splurge

Restaurants, Food and Drink |


Cafe Astoria’s dinner service is like nonna’s kitchen, in the best way

Restaurants, Food and Drink |


11 more of our favorite new St. Paul restaurants

Restaurants, Food and Drink |


Our 12 favorite dishes from local restaurants in 2023

Restaurants, Food and Drink |


First Taste: Food critic visits CosMc’s, a futuristic concept from McDonald’s

Inver Grove Heights considers moving to 4-year mayor term, but city council not fully convinced

posted in: News | 0

Inver Grove Heights is considering joining the majority of Minnesota cities by adopting a four-year mayoral term, rather than the current two-year term.

The City Council approved the first reading of the four-year term ordinance earlier this week, with all but one council member voting in favor. Before the ordinance can be adopted, it must be read and approved three separate times by the city council.

Inver Grove Heights Mayor Brenda Dietrich (Courtesy of Brenda Dietrich)

Mayor Brenda Dietrich and Councilmembers Sue Gliva, John Murphy and Tony Scales made up the ayes with Councilmember Mary T’Kach voting no.

A four-year mayoral term would match city council seats, provide more consistency for city projects, which can take years to complete, said City Administrator Kris Wilson during Monday’s presentation. A four-year term also would allow the mayor more time to settle into the role before planning for reelection.

On the other hand, with a two-year mayoral term, the majority is in the voters’ hands as every two years three of the five city council seats – mayor and two councilmembers – are up for reelection, Wilson said.

In Minnesota, 75 cities have four-year mayoral terms, according to Inver Grove Heights staff, and 27 cities have two-year terms.

Mendota Heights and West St. Paul are the only other Dakota County cities that have a two-year mayoral term, Wilson said, adding that Inver Grove Heights is the largest city in the state with a two-year term.

According to city records, a four-year mayoral term was discussed in 2010, but no action was taken. It may have been discussed informally at other times, Wilson said, but 2010 was the last time the topic was listed on a city council agenda.

Opposing council members

T’Kach expressed concern about the timeline, which, if approved, would require the ordinance to be adopted and published four weeks prior to June 4, when the election filing period closes.

Inver Grove Heights Councilmember Mary T’Kach (Courtesy of Mary T’Kach)

“It feels odd for us to be making such a big decision in the community and for the community during an election year,” T’Kach said Monday, adding that she wished it had come up last year.

Scales disagreed, saying, “As long as we hit our standard practices, our first, second and third readings without trying to squeeze them together, I don’t feel like it’s rushing.”

Murphy, who is serving as acting mayor while Dietrich is away, said Monday that he had spoken with residents about a four-year mayoral term in recent years and ”without fail, they are all supportive of a four-year term for mayor,” he said.

The city plans to inform residents about the potential change through its website, social media accounts and the spring edition of the city’s INSIGHTS newsletter, which is expected to hit mailboxes early April.

The second reading of the ordinance is scheduled for the March 18 city council meeting and the third on April 22. Both meetings will be open to the public for comment and residents are also able to submit comments to cityclerk@ighmn.gov.

Related Articles

Local News |


Eagan man convicted in 2005 stranger rape of Wisconsin college student

Local News |


Burnsville memorial program: Injured officer Adam Medlicott among speakers

Local News |


Watch the memorial service for Burnsville first responders

Local News |


After eulogies for Burnsville’s three fallen first responders, ‘the nicest people,’ long procession

Local News |


‘One big family’: Law enforcement, firefighters from other agencies handling Burnsville’s emergency calls

Yoán Moncada aims for a healthy 2024 after back issues led to 2 IL trips last season for Chicago White Sox 3B

posted in: News | 0

Yoán Moncada pulled a double into the right-field corner during the second inning of an April 2 game against the Houston Astros last season at Minute Maid Park.

The Chicago White Sox third baseman doubled again — this time pulling a grounder that just stayed fair down the first-base line — in the sixth inning. Batting left-handed again, the switch-hitter capped the day by going the other way with a two-run home run to left field in the ninth.

Moncada had a strong start to the season, going 8-for-18 (.444) with two homers and four RBIs in the series against the Astros as he built off his All-Tournament Team performance for Cuba during the World Baseball Classic. Then came the back issues that led to two trips to the injured list.

“During the first half of that season, it was painful, stressful,” Moncada said through an interpreter Thursday at the Boys & Girls Clubs of Chicago in Bridgeport. “I couldn’t do anything. I wanted to do stuff and help the team but I couldn’t. It was a really tough time for me.”

He was out from April 11-May 12 with lower back soreness and again June 14-July 25 with lower back inflammation.

Moncada rebounded after returning from the second IL stint, slashing .280/.323/.430 with two home runs and 12 RBIs in August and .298/.344/.560 with six home runs and 12 RBIs in September.

“Once I started getting better and stronger, I felt much better and I felt good,” Moncada said. “That was why I was able to finish the way that I did and that’s how I feel right now.”

The 28-year-old is aiming to use that late-season bounce back as a springboard for 2024.

“He feels great, the back feels great, he’s motivated,” manager Pedro Grifol said. “He’s going to get to spring training early on the 31st of January or first of February, which is a great sign and he’s going to put himself in a position to have a great year. We need Moncada.

“He’s motivated to having a full season under his belt, which is good for him.”

Moncada slashed .260/.305/.425 with 11 home runs and 40 RBIs in 2023. After appearing in 144 games in 2021, Moncada played 104 games in 2022 and 92 in 2023.

His offseason work has included strengthening his abs, back and legs to “get all that core really strong,” he said.

“The way I’m preparing myself for this coming season is to play 202 games,” Moncada said, when asked about attempting to play as close to 162 games as possible. “That’s an exaggeration, but that’s how I’m preparing myself.

“I want to be healthy. I want to be on the field every day.”

Moncada said he is motivated and excited because he’s healthy.

“That’s the only thing I want — if I’m healthy, I know I can do a lot of good things in the field,” Moncada said. “I’m excited right now to get to spring training and start working.

“I think God has saved something good for me. Hopefully we are going to see that. Hopefully I’ll be able to be healthy and really show and really display all I can do on the field.”

Moncada’s best season was in 2019, when he established career highs in several categories, including OPS (.915), doubles (34), home runs (25) and RBIs (79). He signed a five-year, $70 million extension in March 2020 — a deal in which the Sox hold an option for $25 million in 2025 with a $5 million buyout.

The solid defensive third baseman knows he’ll be fielding questions from reporters about the future.

“I would love to stay with the White Sox if they want me here,” Moncada said. “I’m very thankful for the White Sox for the opportunity they have given me after I was traded from the Red Sox (in December 2016). They’ve been treating me very well. I like the organization, I like the city, I like the fans. I would like to stay here.”

()