Ryne Sandberg says he’s being treated for prostate cancer: ‘We will … fight to beat this,’ Chicago Cubs Hall of Famer says

posted in: News | 0

Hall of Fame second baseman Ryne Sandberg announced Monday that he’s battling prostate cancer.

In a post on his Instagram page, the former Chicago Cubs great shared that he learned last week of his metastatic prostate cancer diagnosis, adding that he already has begun treatment.

“We will continue to be positive, strong and fight to beat this,” Sandberg wrote in his post. “Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time for me and my family.”

A bronze statue of Sandberg, 64, will be unveiled in Gallagher Way outside Wrigley Field on June 23, coinciding with the 40th anniversary of his legendary “Sandberg Game” against the St. Louis Cardinals.

The Wrigleyville company Obvious Shirts is planning to create a T-shirt in honor of Sandberg’s cancer fight with 100% of sales donated to a charity of Sandberg’s choice, which is still being finalized.

A winner of nine Gold Glove and seven Silver Slugger awards as well as the 1984 National League MVP award, Sandberg was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005 and had his No. 23 retired by the Cubs the same year.

He spent four seasons (2007-10) managing in the Cubs farm system before departing the organization and joining the Philadelphia Phillies, who drafted him in the 20th round in 1978, to manage their Triple-A affiliate in 2011. After a promotion to the big-league coaching staff in 2012, Sandberg took over as the Phillies interim manager in August 2013 and one month later had the interim title removed.

Wisconsin boys hockey: New Richmond falls 6-2 to St. Mary’s Springs in Div. 2 title game

posted in: News | 0

MIDDLETON, Wis. — New Richmond’s hopes of a second consecutive state hockey title evaporated in two minutes.

Fond du Lac St. Mary’s Springs scored three goals in the decisive span midway through the second period en route to a 6-2 victory over top-ranked New Richmond in the Division 2 title game of the Wisconsin boys state hockey tournament Saturday morning.

“Give St. Mary’s Springs a lot of credit, they played well today,” said New Richmond coach John Larson. “Obviously some momentum changes in the second period … wasn’t one of our days. It just wasn’t clicking. Didn’t get a lot of bounces and just kind of battling back.

Springs snapped a 1-1 tie when the Tigers turned it over on a power play in their own end. Austin Westergaard converted the shorthanded opportunity, punching it in lower left past goalie Ryan McGillis at 8:17.

The Ledgers jumped on another turnover to make it 3-1 when Quinn McLaughlin brought it up the left side on a 2-on-none break and found Gabe Braun wide open out front at 9:53.

Isaac Sabel capped the blitz 31 seconds later with an unassisted goal from the top of the left circle that went in top right.

New Richmond’s hopes of a third-period comeback were dashed when Armani Fisher’s power-play goal put the Ledgers up 5-1 just over three minutes into the period.

“Hockey is momentum swings and we scored so fast, and it’s also tough to come back,” Springs coach Kevin Collien said. “When you get that extra goal, it’s not secured, but you know it’s going to be tough for them to come back.”

Brody Jackson scored for the Tigers with just under three minutes remaining, but Westergaard countered immediately for Springs with an empty-net goal.

Top-seeded New Richmond, ranked No.1 in Division 2 in the state coaches poll, was making its sixth state tournament appearance. The Tigers (17-10-2) won their only title last season with a 5-1 win over Oregon in the final.

The second-seeded Ledgers (20-9) won their third title in five years; they also won in 2020 and 2021 and were runners-up in 2022.

New Richmond outshot Springs 43-26, but Brendan Gaertig turned in 41 saves for the Ledgers. McGillis had 20 saves for New Richmond.

The Ledgers capitalized on an early penalty for a power-play goal in the fourth minute of the opening period. The Tigers failed to clear their own end, setting up Will Stellmacher’s shot from the top of the slot.

The Tigers came away empty midway through the period when Gaertig turned away Catcher Langeness with a spectacular save on a shorthanded breakaway.

New Richmond, which outshot Springs 16-11 in the first period, tied it on a goal by Bjorn Bahneman at 12:12. The Tigers won the faceoff in the left circle, passed to Steven Chapman behind the net, and he found Bahneman wide open in front of the crease.

“Three years ago, we were 10-15, just to scrap and fight in the playoffs,” Larson said. “I think the bar has been raised. Our numbers have been continuing to grow in our program, obviously a lot of excitement and things about New Richmond hockey.

“I think you look at the last two years at what we’ve built and the hard work from the kids and the entire community, it’s certainly special.”

Related Articles

High School Sports |


Check out the 2024 Minnesota boys hockey state tournament brackets

High School Sports |


Boys hockey: Stanius’ early goal, Gabriel’s 35 saves power White Bear Lake over Hill-Murray in section final

High School Sports |


Boys hockey: No. 5-seeded Cretin-Derham Hall beats St. Thomas Academy for third straight section title

High School Sports |


Harris’ overtime goal sends Mahtomedi back to state

High School Sports |


Wisconsin boys hockey: River Falls bows to Fond du Lac Springs in Division 2 state semifinal

Minnesota United scores in 95th minute for 1-1 draw with Columbus Crew

posted in: News | 0

Minnesota United returned to St. Paul for the home opener Saturday and it looked like they were going to come back down to Earth after being the only MLS club to win on the road last week.

The reigning MLS Cup champion Columbus Crew were giving the Loons a mild reality check with a 1-0 lead the first game at Allianz Field this season.

Then Tani Oluwaseyi scored an equalizer in the 95th minute for a 1-1 draw. It became the last kick of the match.

Without four starters, MNUFC (1-0-1) started strong for a second straight game, building on what they did in a 2-1 win at Austin FC last weekend.

While the Loons didn’t convert, Columbus striker Cucho Hernandez did. The MLS Cup MVP was given too much space at the top of the 18-yard box and beat goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair.

Oluwaseyi picked a great time for his first MLS goal. He was a star on loan with 16 goals for San Antonio FC in the USL Championship last season.

The Loons best scoring chance in the second half came from substitute Loic Mesanvi on a rebound in the 79th minute, but Crew goalkeeper Patrick Schulte denied the Lakeville native’s chance.

Former Loons striker Christian Ramirez subbed in for Columbus at halftime. Ramirez received a warm welcome back after becoming a legend with 74 goals scored for MNUFC from 2014 until he was traded away in 2018.

St. Clair was huge in the scoreless first half with four saves as Columbus posted an expected goals of 1.4.

St. Clair made a few point-blank saves, two in which he covered up misplays by his fullbacks. In the 34th minute, D.J. Taylor allowed Cucho Hernandez to get in behind, but St. Clair cut down the angle for a save. In the 40th minute, Joseph Rosales turned the ball over, but Max Arfsten’s attempt was stifled by St. Clair.

The Loons’ high press was successful in the opening half hour, with Teemu Pukki having MNUFC’s one shot on goal in the eight minute. The Loons had an xG of 0.5 in the opening 45 minutes.

The Loons were forced into two changes from their 2-1 win at Austin FC last Saturday. With Robin Lod and Franco Fragapane suffering injuries in Texas, Caden Clark and Alejandro Bran made their first starts for MNUFC.

Clark, of Medina, estimated he would have roughly 40 familuy and friends in attendance Saturday. Clark assisted on Bran’s eventual game-winner last weekend.

Clark exited in the 60th minute for Mesanvi, and Pukki stepped off for Tani Oluwaseyi.

Briefly

MNUFC2 is scheduled to play in U.S. Open Cup first round versus Chicago House in Elmhurst, Ill., at 7 p.m. March 20, but the Loons have an international friendly planned with Irish club St. Patrick’s Athletic at same time in St. Paul. And a handful of Loons players will be away for international duty at that time. … MNUFC2 winger Loic Mesanvi of Lakeville signed a short-term loan to join MNUFC on Saturday. Mesanvi, who played 13 minutes in the season opener, has now exhausted both MLS call-ups this season. The 20-year-old can still be called up for two non-MLS competitions. … MNUFC is still working with Spanish club Villarreal to determine first round pick Hugo Bacharach’s training compensation. The center back has signed a contract with the MLS club, but it has yet to be announced.

Timberwolves’ Anthony Edwards is an elite on-ball defender. Here’s why he probably won’t be all-defense

posted in: News | 0

There was a time early in his career when Timberwolves guard Anthony Edwards would seemingly talk about his NBA All-Defensive Team aspirations on a weekly basis.

Perhaps the goals have gotten higher since then — he’s a strong candidate to earn All-NBA honors this season and may well be an MVP candidate in coming years. But his play over the final 15 minutes of Minnesota’s 110-101 win over the Grizzlies on Wednesday was yet another reminder that those all-defense abilities are very much still present.

Memphis forward Jaren Jackson Jr. had torched a number of players the Wolves threw at him, including defensive ace Jaden McDaniels. In the third frame, Edwards asked Wolves coach Chris Finch for the assignment. A few minutes later, Finch granted the request. And that was about it for Jackson’s success that night. Edwards stifled the all-star, effectively cutting off Memphis’ source of offense and lifting the Wolves to victory.

“He took the Jackson matchup and shut his water off and turned the game around on both ends,” Finch said. “(Jackson is) a heckuva player, but we had to get up underneath him, and Ant was excellent at that.”

Minnesota has several strong perimeter defenders. McDaniels and Nickeil Alexander-Walker are the first ones that come to mind. Their excellence on that end almost seems to overshadow Edwards’ on-ball abilities at times. But the all-star guard’s physicality sometimes creates problems for even the game’s best scorers that they simply cannot solve.

Finch noted Edwards “for sure is our most physical on-ball defender.”

Edwards feels playing football as a kid helped him with that.

“You gotta initiate the contact, be the first one to hit, and after that it’s a fight,” Edwards said. “We’re in the ring.”

And in that analogy, Edwards usually has the arm the referee raises at the end of the bout.

Players like McDaniels and Alexander-Walker use their length to make life difficult for opposing scorers. But speed and craft can at least help the best offensive players adjust to that. There isn’t much you can do when the defender in front of you makes every inch of the floor a chore to earn. When he is fully turned up, Edwards makes it nearly impossible for players to get to the spots from where they most like to shoot.

When Edwards puts on the clamps, the odds of him stealing the ball feel just as likely as his opponent scoring.

“It’s irritating. So I know how it feels, vice versa,” Edwards said of physical defense. “It’s definitely irritating because I don’t like it when people do it to me. So I know people won’t like it from me.”

It takes a certain specimen to be able to plant themselves that firmly in an offensive player’s space without fear of getting blown by off the bounce.

Edwards could think of two other players capable of such a style: Houston’s Dillon Brooks and Oklahoma City’s Lu Dort.

Those are perennial All-Defensive Team players. So why isn’t Edwards in that same conversation? There are examples of other two-way standouts grabbing all-defense selections in recent years, such as the Clippers’ Paul George and Kawhi Leonard and Miami’s Jimmy Butler.

“I think people gotta watch more Minnesota Timberwolves games, as far as whoever the (heck) the voters are. They just gotta watch the games because this is not my first time doing this,” Edwards said. “I have nights like this all the time where somebody gets hot, their best player gets hot and I go shut ‘em down the rest of the game. Nobody sees it but (local media). I think that goes into my votes of All-Defensive Team. But nobody sees it. Only y’all see it. I think they gotta watch more games. I think that’s the outcome.”

Perhaps there’s some truth to that. Minnesota doesn’t play a ton of nationally televised games. But there are also only 10 spots for All-Defensive honorees, and these days — where there are more data points to judge that end of the floor than ever before — those spots tend to be reserved for the players who specialize on the defensive side of the ball.

Edwards may very well be Minnesota’s best on-ball defender. But he’s asked to guard the other team’s best player much less often than McDaniels or Alexander-Walker. At some point, quantity has to outweigh quality.

Estimated Defensive Plus-Minus — a number put out by dunksandthrees.com — best correlates defensive excellence with what the eye test often suggests. And Edwards is graded quite favorably, slotted in the 88th percentile among players.

McDaniels is in the 96th percentile, and Alexander-Walker is in the 98th percentile, ranked 10th overall.

So while Edwards is acknowledged as a very good defender, it would be difficult to justify him as one of the league’s best 10. Perhaps that argument would be easier if the number of possessions where he guarded the other team’s best player increased.

Currently, he’s often just doing it when the game is in the balance. Edwards noted he would like more opportunities to do so, particularly down the stretch run of the season.

“I feel like I’m in my best shape now,” Edwards said.

But that’s rarely a responsibility bestowed upon the team’s best offensive player. The Wolves need Edwards to score and create. And if they really need him to deliver stops late, they’ll ask him to do so then. Finch doesn’t sound inclined to change the current approach.

“We have a lot of guys who can really guard on the ball, so it ends up being kind of situational,” Finch said. “I’m not going to start the game, probably, with that matchup (of Edwards on the best player), just because of the risk of foul trouble, putting him in that, which is harm’s way. So it’s really kind of game to game.”

Related Articles

Minnesota Timberwolves |


Malik Monk scores 39 to lead Kings past Timberwolves in overtime

Minnesota Timberwolves |


NBA standings watching: How many wins do Timberwolves need to get No. 1 seed in the West?

Minnesota Timberwolves |


Mini surge enough for Minnesota to top Memphis

Minnesota Timberwolves |


Timberwolves breeze past San Antonio

Minnesota Timberwolves |


Mike Conley knows Timberwolves need him to be more aggressive on offense. That starts now.