Today in History: May 3, ‘Old Man of the Mountain’ collapses

posted in: All news | 0

Today is Saturday, May 3, the 123rd day of 2025. There are 242 days left in the year.

Today in history:

On May 3, 2003, the “Old Man of the Mountain,” a 40-foot-tall granite outcropping in Franconia, N.H. that bore the resemblance of a human face in profile, collapsed despite decades of preservation efforts.

Also on this date:

In 1802, Washington, D.C., was incorporated as a city.

Related Articles


Today in History: May 2, Nelson Mandela claims election victory


St. Paul: Nearly 200 employees to be laid off as WestRock plant closes


Today in History: May 1, Obama announces killing of Osama bin Laden


Open house to mark Marine Village Hall remodel


Today in History: April 30, Monica Seles attacked during tennis match

In 1937, Margaret Mitchell won the Pulitzer Prize for her novel, “Gone with the Wind.”

In 1948, the Supreme Court, in Shelley v. Kraemer, ruled that covenants prohibiting the sale of real estate to Blacks or members of other racial groups were legally unenforceable.

In 1979, the Conservative Party ousted the incumbent Labour government in British parliamentary elections; Conservative leader Margaret Thatcher would become the first female U.K. Prime Minister the following day.

In 1986, aboard the longshot horse Ferdinand, Bill Shoemaker became the oldest jockey to win the Kentucky Derby at age 54.

In 1999, the Bridge Creek–Moore tornado struck the Oklahoma City metropolitan area, causing 41 deaths and nearly 600 injuries; the tornado’s top wind speed of 321 miles per hour (517 km/hour) was the highest ever recorded on earth.

In 2015, two gunmen were killed by a SWAT team in Garland, Texas, after they opened fire outside a purposely provocative contest for cartoon depictions of the Prophet Muhammad.

In 2016, in a stunning triumph for a political outsider, Donald Trump all but clinched the Republican presidential nomination with a resounding victory in the Indiana primary election that knocked rival Ted Cruz out of the race.

In 2018, a federal grand jury in Detroit indicted former Volkswagen CEO Martin Winterkorn on charges stemming from the company’s diesel emissions cheating scandal. (Under Germany’s constitution, he could not be extradited to the U.S. to face charges.)

Today’s Birthdays:

Singer Frankie Valli is 91.
Sen. Jim Risch, R-Idaho, is 82.
Sen. Ron Wyden, D-Ore., is 76.
Singer Christopher Cross is 74.
Actor Amy Ryan is 57.
Actor Bobby Cannavale (ka-nuh-VAL’-ee) is 55.
Music executive-entrepreneur Damon Dash is 54.
Actor Christina Hendricks is 50.
Actor Dule (doo-LAY’) Hill is 50.
Country musician Eric Church is 48.
Golfer Brooks Koepka is 35.
Actor Rachel Zegler is 24.

Como Zoo says its newborn sloth has died unexpectedly

posted in: All news | 0

A baby sloth born last month at St. Paul’s Como Zoo has died, officials announced Friday.

“In the world of animal care, there are incredible highs and heartbreaking lows — and this week, we’ve experienced both,” the zoo said Friday on its Facebook page. “We are deeply saddened to share that the baby sloth … was found unresponsive” in its habitat.

The infant Hoffman’s two-toed sloth, whose April 2 birth by mother Sago was witnessed by surprised zoo visitors and staff, appeared to have died Sunday night or Monday morning, the post said.

“This loss has touched our entire team. A necropsy will help us better understand the cause, and until then, we are focused on supporting one another and the animals in our care,” the zoo said.

In the same post, the zoo said it was grateful to share a “joyful moment” and announced the birth of a baby Emperor tamarin, named Bleu.

The baby is the firstborn to mother Ilsamar and father Reggiano.

“Emperor tamarins are remarkable parents — the father plays a big role in raising the young, carrying the baby on his back for the first several weeks,” the zoo wrote. “Thank you for supporting us through the ups and downs.”

Bleu and family can be seen in the Primate Building.

Como Park Zoo and Conservatory is free to visitors and open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. from May through September. Donations are accepted.

Related Articles


American influencer who caused outrage after snatching a baby wombat in Australia issues apology


New Keystone Woods WMA is already popular with birders. What else should happen there?

CIA and other spy agencies set to shrink workforce under Trump administration plan

posted in: All news | 0

By MARY CLARE JALONICK and DAVID KLEPPER

WASHINGTON (AP) — The White House plans to cut staffing at the CIA and other intelligence agencies, including the National Security Agency, Trump administration officials told members of Congress, The Washington Post reported Friday.

A person familiar with the plan but not authorized to discuss it publicly confirmed the changes to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

The administration plans to reduce the CIA workforce by 1,200 over several years, and cut thousands of positions at the NSA and other intelligence agencies. The Post reported that the reductions at the CIA include several hundred people who have already opted for early retirement. The rest of the cuts would be achieved partly through reduced hirings and would not likely necessitate layoffs.

In response to questions about the reductions, the CIA issued a statement saying CIA Director John Ratcliffe is working to align the agency with Trump’s national security priorities.

“These moves are part of a holistic strategy to infuse the Agency with renewed energy, provide opportunities for rising leaders to emerge, and better position CIA to deliver on its mission,” the agency wrote in the statement.

A spokesperson for Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment. Gabbard’s office oversees and coordinates the work of 18 agencies that collect and analyze intelligence.

The CIA and NSA have already offered voluntary resignations to some employees. The CIA also has said it plans to lay off an unknown number of recently hired employees.

The new administration has also eliminated diversity, equity and inclusion programs at intelligence agencies, though a judge has temporarily blocked efforts to fire 19 employees working on DEI programs who challenged their terminations.

Related Articles


Military parade to celebrate the Army’s 250th anniversary will be held on Trump’s birthday


Judge blocks Trump executive order targeting elite law firm, a blow to his retribution campaign


Former Illinois Gov. George Ryan dies at 91. He halted executions and went to prison for corruption


Trump administration asks Supreme Court to let DOGE access Social Security systems


Trump budget would slash NASA funds

Trump also abruptly fired the general who led the NSA and the Pentagon’s Cyber Command.

Ratcliffe has vowed to overhaul the CIA and said he wants to boost the agency’s use of intelligence from human sources and its focus on China.

Twins lose to Red Sox, dropping fourth straight game

posted in: All news | 0

BOSTON — Edouard Julien ranged to his left and went into a slide, looking to corral a ball hit sharply his way. It looked as if the second baseman got his glove on it, but just as quickly, it popped up out of his mitt and dribbled a couple feet behind him.

By the time he got the ball and spun around back towards home, he could do nothing but watch David Hamilton slide in, representing the second run the Red Sox scored on the play.

The seventh-inning play, which would have been the third out of the inning and kept the score tied, was ruled a hit for Red Sox star Rafael Devers, though easily could have been ruled an error. And with it, the Twins fell into a two-run hole from which they wouldn’t recover.

The Twins lost their fourth consecutive game on Friday night, this one a 6-1 loss to the Red Sox at Fenway Park that further spiraled out of control from them an inning later when reliever Jorge Alcala gave up three runs.

The Twins offense couldn’t muster much of anything on Friday night off Red Sox starter Brayan Bello. Minnesota catcher Ryan Jeffers hammered a slider over the Green Monster in left field in the third inning, providing the only offense of the night off Bello and tying the game at the time. It would remain that way until the seventh inning.

Bello worked into the seventh inning and allowed just four hits, an effort that was nearly matched by Twins starter Joe Ryan, whose quality start the team could not capitalize on.

Fresh off an outing in which he struck out 11, Ryan turned in his second consecutive quality start. In this one, he worked six innings and allowed just one home run — a bomb to Alex Bregman in the first inning — in his effort.

Related Articles


Is there a tighter strike zone this year? Twins players have noticed it


Twins lose another in Cleveland in walk-off fashion


Twins center fielder Byron Buxton joins exclusive company with latest feat


Pablo López’s strong start spoiled late as Twins fall to Guardians


Twins reliever Griffin Jax won’t let two weeks define his season