Mary Ellen Klas: Don’t let a generation lose faith in free speech

posted in: All news | 0

The First Amendment is in a sorry state, especially on college campuses. A survey of students released last Tuesday from the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression shows a steady decline in support for free speech – with a new high of 34% saying that using violence to stop a campus speech is acceptable in some cases.

These findings would be disturbing at any time in American history, but they are especially chilling coming the same week that conservative activist Charlie Kirk was gunned down while speaking at a Utah university. The suspect is a 22-year-old who allegedly believed Kirk was “spreading hate.”

The reasons for Gen Z’s growing intolerance of opposing opinions are many, including the dominance of social media and increasing government efforts to control speech. But it’s not too late. America can and must rekindle an appreciation for a good debate among young people, and remind them why freedom of expression is a fundamental right. Our national and local leaders could start by modeling the behavior we’d like younger people to emulate.

For the past six years, FIRE has surveyed 65,510 students at 257 colleges and universities and asked if they would support or oppose allowing controversial speakers on campus. The group asks students whether it’s acceptable to disrupt a campus speech by shouting down a speaker, blocking entry to the event, or using violence. The percentage of students who approve of disruptive behavior to cancel a speech is now at a record high. It’s a bipartisan trend that cuts across gender and racial lines.

The impulse to stifle unpopular speech has been growing on college campuses for a while, but FIRE says the pattern is changing. Over the past decade, students and scholars were the primary advocates for censoring speakers they deemed hostile; back then, administrators usually pushed back and defended free speech, said Sean Stevens, FIRE researcher and a social psychologist. Now, fewer people push back at all, with administrators, politicians and off-campus activists increasingly advocating for canceling speech they don’t like.

It’s a phenomenon that is fed by both politics and culture, Stevens told me. In this era of social media, students come to campus less supportive of free speech than prior generations. This generation is accustomed to curating their digital feed with views that validate and reinforce their beliefs. When they come to college, it might be difficult for them to empathize with people who voice dramatically different viewpoints.

But while censorship attempts from the left have declined since 2020, hostility to free and open debate on campus has grown “primarily due to a drop in tolerance among conservative students,” Stevens said.

The Trump administration has likely played a role, as have officials in red states who want to control academic speech. Governments have applied unprecedented pressure to higher education institutions, targeting diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) programs and restricting funds based on the institution’s handling of protests over Israel and Gaza. Republican-led states like Florida and Texas have passed laws that echo President Donald Trump’s executive orders and empower GOP-aligned trustees and university boards to limit academic freedom. And the federal Department of Education has launched investigations into dozens of schools, withholding federal funds from “ideologically hostile” universities. Just last week, Texas A&M fired a professor and demoted two administrators for “illegal” instruction after a student complained.

At the same time, “students who feel increasingly threatened by the proliferation of hate speech on campuses have come to increasingly reject the idea that everybody flourishes best when all speech is allowed,” said Caroline Mala Corbin, professor of First Amendment Law at the University of Miami. “It depends on what kind of speech students are willing to have censored.”

And Kirk’s organization, Turning Point USA, kept a “Professor Watchlist” on its website. The site says the list is intended to “expose and document college professors who discriminate against conservative students and advance leftist propaganda in the classroom.” Professors on the list say they’ve been harassed.

It’s not too late to find a new direction. Although the watchlist was misguided, Kirk himself showed up on campuses across the country under a tent reading “Prove Me Wrong.” That willingness to engage in dialogue on often-hostile college campuses was laudable.

Utah Governor Spencer Cox used his news conference on Friday to urge America to learn from it.

“Young people loved Charlie, and young people hated Charlie, and Charlie went into those places anyway,” said Cox, a Republican. “Charlie said, when people stop talking, that’s when you get violence.”

Cox also exhorted young people to draw a sharp line between actions and speech, even when that speech is heated: “Words are not violence, violence is violence; there is one person responsible for what happened here and that person is now in custody.”

It was a sharp contrast to Trump’s messaging last week. “The radicals on the left are the problem,” the president said, during Friday’s hour-long appearance on Fox News. “And they’re vicious and they’re horrible and they’re politically savvy.”

Cox demonstrated the leadership Trump couldn’t muster. He directed his comments to “my young friends out there” who are “inheriting a country where politics feels like rage.” He urged them to use the moment to “build a culture that is very different than what we are suffering through right now — not by pretending differences don’t matter, by embracing our differences and having those hard conversations.”

If we want young people to learn those skills, the adults in the room need to start showing more of them ourselves.

Mary Ellen Klas is a politics and policy columnist for Bloomberg Opinion. A former capital bureau chief for the Miami Herald, she has covered politics and government for more than three decades.

Related Articles


Pegah Banihashemi: Three years after ‘Woman, Life, Freedom’ protests, Iran remains in a deadlock


James B. Speta: What Congress can and should do about the Fed’s independence


Other voices: Tariffs, uncertainty have led to a stall in hiring


Cory Franklin: Is multicancer testing valuable? Here are questions to ask before getting screened


David French: We have to work through our deep divide, recover our decency

 

Today in History: September 17, aircraft crash kills a person for the first time

posted in: All news | 0

Today is Wednesday, Sept. 17, the 260th day of 2025. There are 105 days left in the year.

Today in history:

On Sept. 17, 1908, Lt. Thomas E. Selfridge of the U.S. Army Signal Corps became the first person to die in the crash of a powered aircraft, the Wright Flyer, at Fort Myer, Virginia, just outside Washington, D.C. The pilot, Orville Wright, was seriously injured but survived.

Also on this date:

In 1787, the Constitution of the United States was completed and signed by a majority of delegates attending the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia.

Related Articles


North Dakota newspaper columnist whose Olive Garden review went viral dies at 99


Judge won’t release identities of two women once described as potential co-conspirators of Epstein


Amid bankruptcy, some Publishers Clearing House winners are facing the end of ‘forever’ prizes


Retired 4-star Navy admiral sentenced to 6 years in prison for bribery plot


Fonda, DiCaprio, Streisand and more mourn the death of Robert Redford

In 1862, more than 3,600 men were killed in the Civil War Battle of Antietam (an-TEE’-tum) in Maryland.

In 1944, during World War II, Allied paratroopers launched Operation Market Garden, landing behind German lines in the Netherlands.

In 1978, after 12 days of meetings at the U.S. presidential retreat of Camp David, Egyptian President Anwar Sadat and Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin (men-AH’-kem BAY’-gihn) signed the Camp David Accords, a framework for a peace treaty.

In 1980, former Nicaraguan President Anastasio Somoza was assassinated in Paraguay.

In 2001, six days after 9/11, stock prices nosedived but stopped short of collapse in an emotional, flag-waving reopening of Wall Street.

In 2011, a demonstration calling itself Occupy Wall Street began in New York, prompting similar protests around the U.S. and the world.

In 2021, a Los Angeles jury convicted New York real estate heir Robert Durst of killing his best friend 20 years earlier. (Durst, who was sentenced to life in prison, died in 2022.)

Today’s Birthdays:

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, is 92.
Mountaineer-explorer Reinhold Messner is 81.
Basketball Hall of Fame coach Phil Jackson is 80.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is 75.
Actor Cassandra Peterson (“Elvira, Mistress of the Dark”) is 74.
Director-actor Paul Feig is 63.
Film director Baz Luhrmann is 63.
Singer BeBe Winans is 63.
Actor Kyle Chandler is 60.
Rapper Doug E. Fresh is 59.
Author Cheryl Strayed is 57.
Actor Matthew Settle is 56.
Designer-TV personality Nate Berkus is 54.
NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson is 50.
NHL forward Alexander Ovechkin (oh-VECH’-kin) is 40.
Actor Danielle Brooks is 36.
NFL quarterback Patrick Mahomes is 30.

Twins nearly claw all the way back but fall to Yankees

posted in: All news | 0

For the first half of Tuesday night’s game, it looked destined to be a blowout, an uncompetitive ballgame between two teams that have historically played many of those. The New York Yankees had chased Twins starting pitcher Zebby Matthews  early and built up a nine-run lead by the time the fifth inning came around.

But the Twins wouldn’t roll over.

Though their comeback attempt fell just short, the Twins managed to make a game out of it before falling 10-9 to the Yankees in the second game of the series at Target Field.

“We’ve got some guys that just, they refused to stop playing hard and want to win at all costs,” manager Rocco Baldelli said. “You want the win at the back end of this, for sure. But I fully enjoyed watching our guys compete out there and do what they did. That was fantastic.”

The Twins (66-85), who scored a run in the first inning, added three more in the fifth, two of which came from James Outman’s fifth home run of the season.

Right after that, Byron Buxton went to work with his legs, stealing second base after taking a walk. Buxton, who is attempting to become the first Twin with 30 home runs and 30 stolen bases, took off for third during Austin Martin’s at-bat.

He would have had it stolen, too, if not for Martin getting a piece of the ball, fouling it off.

He then tried again later in the inning, stealing third base successfully for the second time in his career. Prior to this season, Buxton had only attempted to swipe third one time in his career, in 2016. That brought Buxton, who already has accomplished the home run piece of the feat, up to 24 stolen bases.

“Try something different,” Buxton said. “A little more stuff on the line. Just trying to go for it a little bit.”

From there, he scored the team’s third run of the inning on a wild pitch.

In the sixth, the Twins added another four runs, using five hits to do so, including a Ryan Fitzgerald two-run home run. Trevor Larnach’s long fly ball to right later in the inning traveled 362 feet and excited the crowd before dying on the warning track, just a few feet short of tying the game. Buxton scored on the sacrifice fly.

Larnach would get his home run after all, but it was a solo shot in the ninth inning, and the Twins fell by one run to the Yankees (84-67).

Matthews allowed singles to the first two batters of the game, both of whom scored. In one of his shortest starts of the season, Matthews lasted just three innings, giving up a season-high nine runs on 11 hits.

“Hats off to the offense and the bullpen. They really picked up the team and me especially with the rough start,” Matthews said. “They kept fighting and kept swinging. You love to see that out of them.”

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA – SEPTEMBER 16: Aaron Judge #99 of the New York Yankees hits a single against the Minnesota Twins in the first inning at Target Field on September 16, 2025 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images)
New York Yankees’ Cody Bellinger (35) steals second base against Minnesota Twins third baseman Ryan Fitzgerald (53) in the first inning of a baseball game, Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2025, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Mike Stewart)

In special election, DFL holds Melissa Hortman’s House district; chamber returns to a tie

posted in: All news | 0

DFL candidate Xp Lee has won the special election for the Minnesota House district left vacant after the assassination of former House Speaker Melissa Hortman, restoring the balance of power in the chamber to a 67-67 tie between Democrats and Republicans.

Unofficial results Tuesday night showed Lee had a decisive lead, with 61% of the vote to Republican Ruth Bittner’s 39% with all District 34B precincts reporting results. Polls closed at 8 p.m. and final returns were in a short while later.

SMALL FILE — MAX. WIDTH FOR PRINT: 3.75 INCHES — Undated courtesy photo, circa July 2025, of Xp Lee, Democratic candidate for Minnesota House District 34B. Lee faces Republican candidate Ruth Bittner in a special election on Sept. 16, 2025. Bittner, a real estate agent seeking her first elected office and Lee, a former Brooklyn Park City Council member, are vying to replace Melissa Hortman, the former Democratic state House speaker who was slain along with her husband at their home in June 2025. District 34B includes the communities of Brooklyn Park and Champlin in Hennepin County and Coon Rapids in Anoka County. (Courtesy of the candidate)

“I am honored to have been elected to represent my neighbors in Brooklyn Park, Champlin, and Coon Rapids,” Lee said in a statement. “I have never lost sight of the situation that brought us to this moment, and I will work hard every day to carry forward Speaker Melissa Hortman’s legacy.”

Lee is a former member of the Brooklyn Park City Council. It was widely expected that the district would remain in DFL hands. Bittner is a real estate agent who had not served in elected office before.

Hortman was first elected to the House in 2004 and was in her 11th term in the Legislature. She was elected speaker of the House in 2019, when the DFL took a majority in the House and continued to lead her party in the House after it lost the majority in 2025.

Hortman handily won reelection in District 34B and past districts that covered a similar footprint. In 2024, she won reelection with 63% of the vote.

The House seat has been vacant for three months since Hortman and her husband, Mark, were killed by a gunman at their home in Brooklyn Park on June 14. Sen. John Hoffman and his wife, Yvette, were also shot at their home in Champlin but survived.

Vance Boelter, 57, faces federal and state murder, attempted murder and other charges in the attacks.

Hortman’s death left the House split 67-66 between Republicans and DFLers. With Lee’s win, a power-sharing agreement the parties reached earlier this year after the 2024 election delivered a tied House will remain in place.

Undated courtesy photo, circa Sept. 2025, of Ruth Bittner, candidate for state House District 34B in a special election on Sept. 16, 2025. Bittner, a Republican real estate agent seeking her first elected office, faces Democrat Xp Lee, a former Brooklyn Park City Council member, in a special election to replace Melissa Hortman, the former Democratic state House speaker who was slain along with her husband at their home in June 2025. District 34B includes the communities of Brooklyn Park and Champlin in Hennepin County and Coon Rapids in Anoka County. (Courtesy of the candidate)

The Legislature has not been in session, so the balance of seats hasn’t had any immediate effect on the state, and the House can’t pass any bills without Democratic-Farmer-Labor support because the threshold to do so is 68 votes.

The state Senate is in a similar situation. DFLers have 33 seats to Republicans’ 32 in that chamber, but 34 votes are needed to pass legislation.

Before two vacancies this summer due to the unexpected death of Sen. Bruce Anderson, R-Buffalo, and the felony conviction of another member, Sen. Nicole Mitchell, DFL-Woodbury, the DFL had a 34-33 advantage. Special elections to fill the two seats are scheduled for Nov. 4.

Related Articles


Tuesday special election will determine balance of power in MN House


St. Paul to require its legislative request list by early days of session


Minneapolis suburb’s candidates campaign amid fear and violence after political assassinations


Tim Walz sends strong signal he’ll run for third term as governor


MN Senate DFL forms new committee on ‘federal impacts’