How a SIM farm like the one found near the UN threatens telecom networks

posted in: All news | 0

By SHAWN CHEN and JULIE WALKER

NEW YORK (AP) — The U.S. Secret Service has found and is quietly dismantling a massive network of “SIM farms” across the New York area just as world leaders gather for meetings at the United Nations.

Matt McCool, the special agent in charge of the Secret Service’s New York field office, said agents found multiple sites filled with servers and stacked SIM cards, of which more than 100,000 cards were already active. Though the investigation is ongoing and no arrests have been made, he described it as a well-funded, highly organized enterprise and possibly run by nation-state actors — perpetrators from particular countries.

Officials also warned of the havoc the network could have caused if left intact. McCool compared the potential impact to the cellular blackouts that followed the Sept. 11 attacks and the Boston Marathon bombing, when networks collapsed under strain.

So what are these SIM farms and what are they capable of?

What the tech does

SIM farms are hardware devices that can hold numerous SIM cards from different mobile operators. These devices then exploit voice over internet protocol (VoIP) technology to send and receive bulk messages or calls.

While initially developed for legitimate purposes, such as low cost international calling, the technology has become a cornerstone of organized fraud targeting mass audiences — phishing texts and scam calls.

“Scams have become so sophisticated now. Phishing emails, texts, spoofing caller ID, all of this technology gives scammers that edge,” said Eva Velasquez, president and CEO of the Identity Theft Resource Center.

In this case, the devices were concentrated within 35 miles of the U.N. building. The investigation is ongoing, but McCool said forensic analysis currently believe the system could have been used to send encrypted messages to organized crime groups, cartels and terrorist organizations.

How these farms pose a threat to telecom networks

Anthony J. Ferrante, the global head of the cybersecurity practice at FTI, an international consulting firm, said the photos show a very sophisticated and established SIM farm that could be used for any number of nefarious activities, including the potential to overwhelm cellular networks with millions of calls in just a few minutes.

Related Articles


‘Nightmare bacteria’ cases are increasing in the US


Missouri woman gets more than 4 years in prison for trying to sell off Elvis Presley’s Graceland


Alaska’s Fat Bear Week kicks off with online voting to crown the most oversized ursine


Defense tells judge Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs has served enough time behind bars


Jimmy Kimmel is set to return to his late-night show after ABC lifts suspension

“So if you can imagine that type of magnitude on cellular networks, it would just overwhelm them and cause them to shut down,” Ferrante said in an interview. He also notes that it’s possible the system could be used for surveillance operations, given its proximity to the United Nations, “potentially that equipment could be used to either intercept communications, eavesdrop on communications, or actually, clone devices, as well.”

Ferrante, who previously served in key security positions at the White House and the FBI, says he’s awaiting the results of the investigation before drawing any conclusions about the nature of the setup, but he emphasizes that the scale of the operation shows how simple tools can pose real risks to critical infrastructure.

“The masterminds could have set this up a long time ago and be operating from thousands of miles away,” he said. “It’s a stark reminder of how deeply interconnected our world has become, where local vulnerabilities can be exploited globally.”

‘Coolest Thing Made in MN’ among these 8 remaining products

posted in: All news | 0

In addition to loons and lakes, Minnesota is also home to a one-of-a-kind competition that for this week, has pitted Classic SPAM against a personal aircraft.

With two weeks to go until one product is crowned the “Coolest Thing Made in Minnesota,” voters have their work cut out for them as the head-to-head matchups become increasingly more difficult with just eight products left in the running.

Presented by the Minnesota Chamber of Commerce and BMO, the competition is in its fourth round of voting this week with the public allowed to cast just four votes.

“Reaching the top eight is no small feat,” said Doug Loon, president and CEO of the Minnesota Chamber, in a news release. “These products have risen to the top thanks to an outpouring of support from voters across Minnesota.”

Here are the matchups competing for your votes this week:

SPAM vs. Cirrus

Made in Austin, Minn., since its founding in 1937, SPAM Classic from Hormel Foods is taking on the SR Series G7+ Aircraft, which is built in Duluth and features an autonomous emergency landing system, from Cirrus Aircraft.

Polaris vs. Toro

Constructed in Roseau, Minn., the MRZR from Polaris, an all-terrain military vehicle with infrared and blackout lighting, is competing against the GrandStand mower from Toro. Manufactured in Windom, the mower can blow leaves, plow snow, sweep sidewalks and move mulch.

Duluth Pack vs. ATZ

Trackchair, an all-terrain wheelchair from Marshall-based ATZ that can navigate through sand, mud, snow and up to 10 inches of water, is stacked up against the Wanderer, a spacious canvas backpack from Duluth Pack.

Vistabule vs. NorthUp Sauna

A luxury camper with a galley kitchen and queen-size sleeping area, the St.Paul-based Vistabule Teardrop Trailer is competing against the NorthUp Sauna, an affordable, ultra-light, multi-purpose sauna.

Related Articles


Community backs Borchert’s Meat Market in Maplewood as it struggles with tax payments


Business People: St. Thomas Academy names new CFO and dean of students


St. Paul Sun Ray Shopping Center to welcome new retailer as other strip malls struggle


‘Coolest Thing Made in Minnesota’: A look at this week’s matchups


Longtime St. Paul coffee shop Kopplin’s to close next month

Voting open

“What makes this round exciting is seeing how the contest showcases the diversity of what we make and putting a well-deserved spotlight on Minnesota’s manufacturing strength,” Loon said.

The final four products will be announced Monday and the winner will be crowned at the 2025 Manufacturers’ Summit on Oct. 7.

Round four voting is open now. To cast your vote, go to http://pipr.es/CcOxwe4.

Iran’s supreme leader rejects direct talks with US over his country’s nuclear program

posted in: All news | 0

By STEPHANIE LIECHTENSTEIN and JON GAMBRELL, Associated Press

VIENNA (AP) — Iran’s supreme leader on Tuesday rejected direct negotiations with the United States over his country’s nuclear program, likely slamming the door shut on a last-ditch effort to halt the reimposition of United Nations sanctions on Tehran.

Related Articles


Germany hopes to attract tens of thousands more military recruits as NATO strengthens its defenses


Secret Service dismantles telecom threat around UN capable of crippling cell service in NYC


More experts see genocide in Israel’s wartime conduct in Gaza


UN chief warns world leaders of ‘an age of reckless disruption and relentless human suffering’


Trump tells UN in speech that it is ‘not even coming close to living up’ to its potential

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s remarks, aired on Iranian state television, likely constrain any possible outreach to the U.S. by Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, who is in New York for the U.N. General Assembly. Separately, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi held meetings with diplomats from France, Germany and the United Kingdom there over the reimposition of the sanctions, set to take effect Sunday.

Talks with the U.S. represent “a sheer dead end,” Khamenei said.

“The U.S. has announced result of the talks in advance,” he added. “The result is the closure of nuclear activities and enrichment. This is not a negotiation. It is a diktat, an imposition.”

Germany’s Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul already described the chance of reaching an agreement with Iran “extremely slim” even before Khamenei’s comments, the German news agency dpa reported.

“Iran has been disregarding its obligations under the Vienna Nuclear Agreement for years,” Wadephul was reported as saying, referring to the nuclear deal that was concluded between Iran and world powers in Vienna in 2015 and aimed at preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons.

“We have drawn the necessary consequences from this and triggered the so-called snapback mechanism, which will reinstate international sanctions against Iran at the end of this week,” he said.

Wadephul added, however, that the three European countries — known as the E3 — will continue to negotiate with Iran even after the sanctions are back. The countries triggered the reinstatement after deciding Iran had failed to comply with conditions including the monitoring of its nuclear sites by the IAEA.

Iran has stopped inspectors, refused US talks

Amid a flurry of diplomatic engagements, Araghchi on Monday also met with Rafael Grossi, director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, in New York.

Earlier this month, the U.N. nuclear watchdog and Iran signed an agreement mediated by Egypt to pave the way for resuming cooperation, including on ways of relaunching inspections of Iran’s nuclear facilities. However, that agreement has yet to fully take hold.

In July, Pezeshkian had signed a law adopted by his country’s parliament suspending all cooperation with the U.N. nuclear watchdog. That followed Israel’s 12-day war with Iran in June, during which Israel and the U.S. bombed Iranian nuclear sites.

France, Germany and the U.K. began the process of reimposing sanctions on Iran at the end of August.

The process — termed a “snapback” by the diplomats who negotiated it into Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers — was designed to be veto-proof at the U.N. It started a 30-day clock ticking for the resumption of sanctions unless the West and Iran reach a diplomatic agreement.

European nations have said they would be willing to extend the deadline if Iran resumes direct negotiations with the U.S. over its nuclear program, allows U.N. nuclear inspectors access to its nuclear sites, and accounts for the more than 400 kilograms (880 pounds) of highly enriched uranium the U.N. watchdog says it has. Iran is the only nation in the world that enriches uranium up to 60%, a short, technical step from weapons-grade levels, that does not have a weapons program.

If no diplomatic deal is found this week, the sanctions will automatically “snapback” on Sunday. That would again freeze Iranian assets abroad, halt arms deals with Tehran and penalize any development of Iran’s ballistic missile program, among other measures, further squeezing the country’s reeling economy.

Khamenei made a point in his roughly half-hour speech to say his comments focused only on America, not on Europe.

Iran maintains its atomic program is peaceful

Iran has long insisted its program is peaceful, though Western nations and the IAEA assess that Tehran had an active nuclear weapons program until 2003. Khamenei again pledged that Iran does not seek atomic bombs.

“We do not have a nuclear bomb and we will not have one, and we do not plan to use nuclear weapon,” he said.

U.S. President Donald Trump, who unilaterally withdrew America from the Iran nuclear deal in 2018, made a point to reference Tehran in his speech before the U.N. on Tuesday. He recounted writing a letter to Khamenei seeking talks. U.S. and Iranian negotiators met five times before the 12-day war in June.

“There is no more serious danger to our planet today than the most powerful and destructive weapons ever devised by man, of which the United States, as you know, has many,” Trump said. “I’ve made containing these threats a top priority, starting with (the) nation of Iran.”

However, Khamenei stressed that Israeli and American attacks would not destroy the nuclear knowledge gained by Iran over the decades over the crisis surrounding the program.

“Science will not be demolished by threats and bombing,” he vowed.

Gambrell reported from Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Associated Press writer Nasser Karimi in Tehran, Iran, contributed to this report.

The Associated Press receives support for nuclear security coverage from the Carnegie Corporation of New York and Outrider Foundation. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

Additional AP coverage of the nuclear landscape: https://apnews.com/projects/the-new-nuclear-landscape/

Ramsey County: Michael Soto named director of policy, administrative strategy

posted in: All news | 0

Ramsey County on Tuesday named Michael Soto as director of its Policy and Administrative Strategy division He begins next week.

Michael Soto. (Courtesy of Ramsey County)

Soto will oversee county strategic planning and support strategic alignment in racial equity, policy development and performance management, according to county officials. His work will ensure quantitative and qualitative research, evaluation and analysis in order to support county operations, according to the county.

“Michael brings a unique combination of strategic insight, technical expertise and collaborative leadership,” said Maria Sarabia, Ramsey County chief of staff. “His experience driving people-centered data strategies and building strong teams will enhance our ability to shape policies that reflect community needs.”

Soto has two decades of experience in government, nonprofits, academia and entrepreneurship. He joins Ramsey County from Hennepin County where his team worked on equity-informed analytics for housing, health, economic development and justice initiatives. He also managed the Enterprise Integrated Data System, which supports cross-departmental evaluation and insights.

He also supported Hennepin County technical staff in refining research questions and launching pilot initiatives and he redesigned onboarding processes.

Related Articles


Union opposes proposed closure of Ramsey County detox program


St. Paul man sentenced in 2023 shootout at White Bear Lake bar


‘Save my baby’: Mother charged in fatal Maplewood crash


Community backs Borchert’s Meat Market in Maplewood as it struggles with tax payments


Child killed in Maplewood rollover crash; investigators believe alcohol involved