Top diplomats from G7 countries meet in Canada as trade tensions rise with Trump

posted in: All news | 0

By ROB GILLIES and MATTHEW LEE, Associated Press

TORONTO (AP) — Top diplomats from the Group of Seven industrialized democracies are converging on southern Ontario as tensions rise between the U.S. and traditional allies like Canada over defense spending, trade and uncertainty over President Donald Trump’s ceasefire plan in Gaza and efforts to end the Russia-Ukraine war.

Related Articles


Shutdown leaves a mark on an already-struggling economy, from lost paychecks to canceled flights


The Supreme Court is expected to say whether full SNAP food payments can resume


Trump pardons man who took brief detour as he ran up and down Wyoming’s Grand Teton in record time


Government shutdown will have lasting effects on National Guard, advocates say


Trump asks Supreme Court to throw out E. Jean Carroll’s $5 million verdict

Canadian Foreign Minister Anita Anand said in an interview with The Associated Press that “the relationship has to continue across a range of issues” despite trade pressures as she prepared to host U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio and their counterparts from Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Japan on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Anand also invited the foreign ministers of Australia, Brazil, India, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, South Korea, South Africa and Ukraine.

She said “15 foreign ministers are coming from around the world to the Great White North and funnily enough on the week of our first large snowfall.”

“The work that Canada is doing is continuing to lead multilaterally in an era of a greater movement to protectionism and unilateralism,” Anand said. “And in an era of economic and geopolitical volatility.”

Canada’s G7 hosting duties this year have been marked by strained relations with its North American neighbor, predominantly over Trump’s imposition of tariffs on Canadian imports. But the entire bloc of allies is confronting major turbulence over the Republican president’s demands on trade and various proposals to halt worldwide conflicts.

One main point of contention has been defense spending. All G7 members except for Japan are members of NATO, and Trump has demanded that the alliance partners spend 5% of their annual gross domestic product on defense. While a number of countries have agreed, others have not. Among the G7 NATO members, Canada and Italy are furthest from that goal.

There have also been G7 disagreements over the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza, with Britain, Canada and France announcing they would recognize a Palestinian state even without a resolution to the conflict. With the Russia-Ukraine war, most G7 members have taken a tougher line on Russia than Trump has.

The two-day meeting in Niagara-on-the-Lake on Lake Ontario near the U.S. border comes after Trump ended trade talks with Canada because the Ontario provincial government ran an anti-tariff advertisement in the U.S. that upset him. That followed a spring of acrimony, since abated, over Trump’s insistence that Canada should become the 51st U.S. state.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney apologized for the ad and said last week that he’s ready to resume trade talks when the Americans are ready.

“The work that we are doing in the G7 is about finding areas where we can cooperate multilaterally,” Anand said. “This conversation will continue regardless of other efforts that we are making on the trade side.”

Anand said she will have a meeting with Rubio but noted that a different minister leads the U.S. trade file. The U.S. president has placed greater priority on addressing his grievances with other nations’ trade policies than on collaboration with G7 allies.

“Every complex relationship has numerous touch points,” Anand said. “On the trade file, there is continued work to be done — just as there is work to be done on the numerous touch points outside the trade file, and that’s where Secretary Rubio and I come in because the relationship has to continue across a range of issues.”

Anand said Rubio asked her during a breakfast meeting in Washington last month to play a role in bringing countries to the table to ensure that Trump’s Gaza ceasefire plan has longevity.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio stands with Lithuania’s Foreign Minister Kestutis Budrys, not shown, at the State Department, Monday, Nov. 10, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

U.S. officials said Rubio, who also may have meetings with other G7 counterparts and at least one of the invited non-G7 foreign ministers, would be focused on initiatives to halt fighting in Ukraine and Gaza, maritime security, Haiti, Sudan, supply chain resiliency and critical minerals.

Canada’s priorities include ending the war in Ukraine, Arctic security and security in Haiti. There will be a working lunch on energy and critical minerals that are needed for anything from smartphones to fighter jets. Canada has 34 critical minerals and metals that the Pentagon is eager for and investing in for national security.

Anand will probably try to use the meeting to improve the working relationship with Rubio, said Daniel Béland, a political science professor at McGill University in Montreal.

“Yet, a key factor shaping that relationship is beyond her control: President Trump’s mercurial behavior,” Béland said.

“The expectations are quite low, but avoiding drama and fostering basic common ground on issues like Ukraine and Russia would be helpful,” Béland said.

Today in History: November 11, ‘Typhoid Mary’ dies

posted in: All news | 0

Today is Tuesday, Nov. 11, the 315th day of 2025. There are 50 days left in the year. Today is Veterans Day.

Today in history:

On Nov. 11,1938, Irish-born cook Mary Mallon, who’d gained notoriety as the disease-carrying “Typhoid Mary” blamed for the deaths of three people, died on North Brother Island in New York’s East River at age 69 after 23 years of mandatory quarantine.

Also on this date:

In 1620, 41 Pilgrims aboard the Mayflower, anchored off Massachusetts, signed the Mayflower Compact, creating a local government for the colony that called for a “civil body politick, for our better ordering and preservation.”

Related Articles


Trump pardons man who took brief detour as he ran up and down Wyoming’s Grand Teton in record time


Government shutdown will have lasting effects on National Guard, advocates say


Trump asks Supreme Court to throw out E. Jean Carroll’s $5 million verdict


After mistaken deportation, US asks judge to let it send Kilmar Abrego Garcia to Liberia


Deployment of West Virginia National Guard members in nation’s capital can continue: judge

In 1918, fighting in World War I ended as the Allies and Germany signed an armistice aboard a railroad car in the Forest of Compiègne (kohm-PYEHN’-yeh) in northern France.

In 1921, the remains of an unidentified American service member were interred in a Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery in a ceremony presided over by President Warren G. Harding.

In 1966, Gemini 12 blasted off on a four-day mission with astronauts James A. Lovell and Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin Jr. aboard; it was the 10th and final crewed flight of NASA’s Gemini program.

In 1987, following the failure of two Supreme Court nominations, President Ronald Reagan announced his choice of Judge Anthony M. Kennedy, who went on to win confirmation.

In 2020, Georgia’s secretary of state announced an audit of presidential election results that he said would be done with a full hand count of ballots because the margin was so tight; Democratic President-elect Joe Biden led Republican President Donald Trump by about 14,000 votes out of nearly 5 million votes counted in the state. (The audit would affirm Biden’s win.)

In 2022, Sam Bankman-Fried’s FTX crypto exchange platform filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection amid a collapse of its assets; Bankman-Fried was convicted in November 2023 of seven counts of wire fraud and conspiracy to commit fraud and was sentenced to 25 years in prison.

Today’s Birthdays:

Music producer Mutt Lange is 77.
Actor Stanley Tucci is 65.
Actor Demi Moore is 63.
Actor Calista Flockhart is 61.
TV personality Carson Kressley is 56.
Actor David DeLuise is 54.
Actor Leonardo DiCaprio is 51.
Musician Jon Batiste is 39.
Retired American figure skater Adam Rippon is 36.
Actor Tye Sheridan is 29.

The Supreme Court is expected to say whether full SNAP food payments can resume

posted in: All news | 0

By GEOFF MULVIHILL and MARGERY BECK

It’s up to the U.S. Supreme Court and Congress to decide when full payments will resume under the SNAP food aid program that helps 1 in 8 Americans buy groceries as the financial pressures mount on families in some states.

The Supreme Court is expected to rule Tuesday on a request from President Donald Trump’s administration to keep blocking states from providing full benefits, arguing the money might be needed elsewhere.

The seesawing rulings so far have created a situation where beneficiaries in some states, including Minnesota, Hawaii and New Jersey, have received their full monthly allocations and those in others, such as Nebraska and West Virginia, have seen nothing.

The legal wrangling could be made moot if the U.S. House adopts and Trump signs legislation to end the federal government shutdown quickly.

SNAP has been the center of an intense fight in court

The Trump administration chose to cut off funding for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program after October due to the shutdown. That decision sparked lawsuits and a string of swift and contradictory judicial rulings that deal with government power — and impact the food access for 42 million Americans.

The administration went along with a pair of rulings from Oct. 31 from judges who said the government must provide at least partial funding for SNAP. It eventually said that recipients would get up to 65% of their regular benefits. But it balked last week when one of the judges said that it must fund the program fully for November, even if itt means digging into funds the government said need to be maintained in case of emergencies elsewhere.

The U.S. Supreme Court agreed to pause that order.

An appeals court said Monday that full funding should resume — and that requirement is set to kick in Tuesday night unless the top court takes action again.

It’s also a point in Congressional talks about reopening government

The U.S. Senate on Monday passed legislation to reopen the federal government with a plan that would include replenishing SNAP funds.

Speaker Mike Johnson told members of the House to return to Washington to consider the deal a small group of Senate Democrats made with Republicans.

Trump has not said whether he would sign it if it reaches his desk, but told reporters at the White House on Sunday that it “looks like we’re getting close to the shutdown ending.”

If the deal is finalized, it’s not clear how quickly SNAP benefits might start flowing.

Still, the Trump administration said in a filing Monday with the Supreme Court that it shouldn’t be up to the courts. “The answer to this crisis is not for federal courts to reallocate resources without lawful authority,” Solicitor General D. John Sauer said in the papers. “The only way to end this crisis — which the Executive is adamant to end — is for Congress to reopen the government.”

The impact is urgent for beneficiaries

The cascading legal rulings — plus the varying responses of each state to the shutoff — means people who rely on SNAP are in vastly different situations.

Some have all their benefits, some have none. In states including North Carolina and Texas, beneficiaries have received partial amounts.

In Pennsylvania, full benefits went out to some people on Friday. But Jim Malliard, 41, of Franklin, said he had not received anything by Monday.

Malliard is a full-time caretaker for his wife, who is blind and had a series of strokes earlier this year, and his teenage daughter, who suffered severe medical complications from surgery last year.

That stress has only been compounded by the pause in the $350 a month he receives in SNAP for himself, his wife and daughter. He has yet to receive any SNAP payment for November, and he’s down to $10 in his account and is relying on what’s left in the pantry — mostly rice and ramen.

“It’s kind of been a lot of late nights, making sure I had everything down to the penny to make sure I was right,” Malliard said. “To say anxiety has been my issue for the past two weeks is putting it mildly.”

Related Articles


Shutdown leaves a mark on an already-struggling economy, from lost paychecks to canceled flights


Top diplomats from G7 countries meet in Canada as trade tensions rise with Trump


Trump pardons man who took brief detour as he ran up and down Wyoming’s Grand Teton in record time


Government shutdown will have lasting effects on National Guard, advocates say


Trump asks Supreme Court to throw out E. Jean Carroll’s $5 million verdict

Timberwolves down Jazz in Utah: Takeaways from Minnesota’s third straight win

posted in: All news | 0

The Timberwolves continued their roll Monday in Utah, downing the Jazz for the second time in four days.

This one was more competitive than Friday’s drubbing, but Monday’s 120-113 victory in Salt Lake City was comfortable nonetheless, with Minnesota seizing control in the third quarter and never surrendered it from there.

Here are takeaways from Minnesota’s latest victory

Another avalanche

Minnesota’s victories of late have all featured signature quarters in which the Wolves pulled away.

A 40-29 second quarter in Sacramento on Sunday provided Minnesota with plenty of cushion. Friday’s 43-15 first quarter ended all doubt against Utah. The Wolves utilized a 34-21 third quarter in Brooklyn to down the Nets and outscored Charlotte 36-18 in the third nine days ago.

It was again the third frame where Minnesota did the bulk of its damage on Monday, as the Wolves outscored Utah 40-25 in the quarter to turn a halftime deficit into a 13-point lead.

Anthony Edwards was the star of the run. He scored 21 points in the third quarter alone, going 7 for 9 from the field while also setting a defensive tone.

Edwards finished with 35 points, six assists and six rebounds.

McDaniels’ run

Minnesota Timberwolves forward Jaden McDaniels (3) posts up against Utah Jazz guard Svi Mykhailiuk (10) during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Monday, Nov. 10, 2025, in Salt Lake City. (AP Photo/Tyler Tate)

Jaden McDaniels has been a critical offensive piece for Minnesota this season, but he was quiet for three quarters in Utah.

The forward was heard from in the final frame. McDaniels scored 12 of his 16 points in the fourth quarter, all in a five-minute span that helped Minnesota keep Utah at an arm’s length.

Offense in different ways

Minnesota entered the game as the NBA’s best shooting team, leading the league in true-shooting percentage (62.7%) and effective field-goal percentage (59.4%).

The shots didn’t fall at the same clip Monday, as the Wolves shot 47% from the field and just 30.3% from distance. But the Wolves found offense in other ways, tallying 54 points in the paint while going 26 for 28 from the free-throw line.

Julius Randle was again the conductor of Minnesota’s offensive show. He had 27 points — on the strength of a 12-for-13 showing at the free-throw line — to go with eight rebounds and seven assists. Minnesota won Randle’s 34 minutes by 22 points.

Energy deficient

On the second-half of a back to back, the Timberwolves didn’t have the same bite they displayed in their two previous victories. The defensive intensity was evident in spurts, but not as consistent throughout.

And Minnesota was beaten up on the glass by Utah, who tallied 16 offensive rebounds that resulted in 22 second-chance points. The Wolves’ best brand of basketball involved tenacious defense that generates opportunities in transition going the other way.

It’s highly effective, but also draining. It’s also possible a lack of legs contributed to the subpar shooting performance.

That’s something to watch over the weekend, when Minnesota hosts Sacramento on Friday, and then welcomes the Denver Nuggets to Target Center on Saturday in a big-time Western Conference duel.

Minnesota now gets three days off — a rare break in the grueling NBA regular season — before that NBA Cup group play tilt with the Kings on Friday.