2 Federal Reserve officials oppose an interest rate cut in December

posted in: All news | 0

By CHRISTOPHER RUGABER

WASHINGTON (AP) — Two Federal Reserve officials expressed opposition Wednesday to another interest rate cut at the central bank’s next meeting in December, further muddying the outlook for the Fed’s next steps.

Related Articles


At ‘Make America Healthy Again’ summit, Vance praises RFK Jr.


These are the 37 donors helping pay for Trump’s $300 million White House ballroom


With their government contracts in limbo, small businesses await a historic shutdown’s end


UK’s Starmer refuses to say whether he will urge Trump to drop his $1 billion BBC threat


More Americans are unhappy with the way Trump is managing the government, poll shows

The remarks by Susan Collins, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, and Raphael Bostic, president of the Atlanta Fed, suggest that the central bank’s rate-setting committee could be tilting against what had been an expected third straight cut next month.

The officials cited several reasons for keeping rates unchanged, after a reduction in September and in October. They argued that inflation is stubbornly elevated and has been above the Fed’s 2% target for nearly five years, while the economy is resilient and doesn’t appear to need more rate cuts. The job market is stumbling, with hiring nearly at a standstill, but layoffs still seem muted, they said.

Another factor has been the government shutdown, which has cut off the economic data the Fed relies on to discern the economy’s path. On Wednesday White House spokeswoman Karoline Leavitt said that the jobs and inflation reports for October would likely never be released.

“Formulating an economic outlook is challenging — and the limited data compounds the difficulty,” Collins said in a speech in Boston.

“It will likely be appropriate to keep policy rates at the current level for some time … in this highly uncertain environment,” she added.

That is a shift from her previous speech in October, when she expressed support for at least one more rate cut.

Earlier Wednesday, Bostic said he remains concerned inflation is too high, and added that, “I … favor keeping the funds rate steady until we see clear evidence that inflation is again moving meaningfully toward its 2% target.” Bostic said earlier Wednesday that he will retire when his current term ends on Feb. 28, 2026.

Their remarks come at an unusually challenging time for the Fed, with the economy facing both weak hiring and elevated inflation. Typically, the Fed would reduce its rate to encourage borrowing, spending and job gains, while it would keep it unchanged — or even raise it — to combat inflation.

The 19 officials on the Fed’s rate-setting committee narrowly supported three rate cuts this year at their September meeting, but Chair Jerome Powell said at a news conference late last month that the committee remains divided and another cut in December was not a “foregone conclusion.”

Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell speaks at a news conference after the Federal Open Market Committee meeting Wednesday, Oct. 29, 2025, at the Federal Reserve Board Building in Washington. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

David Seif, chief economist for developed markets at Nomura Securities, expects the Fed will skip a rate cut in December and won’t reduce borrowing costs again until March.

“There is a large segment of the Fed that is uncomfortable with a December cut,” Seif said.

Collins also said that additional reductions to the Fed’s rate could, by boosting the economy, accelerate inflation.

“Absent evidence of a notable labor market deterioration, I would be hesitant to ease policy further, especially given the limited information on inflation due to the government shutdown,” she said.

Bostic, meanwhile, said the Atlanta Fed’s surveys of businesses show that many companies intend to raise prices next year, a sign that inflation may not cool anytime soon.

“We cannot breezily assume inflationary pressures will quickly dissipate after a one-time bump in prices from new import duties,” Bostic said, referring to President Donald Trump’s tariffs. “Across all our information sources, I see little to no evidence that we should be sanguine about the forward trajectory of inflation.”

Some Fed officials, such as Fed governor Stephen Miran, have argued that the tariffs will only temporarily lift prices and outside those one-time increases, inflation is cooling.

J.J. McCarthy is dealing with a right hand injury. How much will it affect him?

posted in: All news | 0

As the Vikings prepare for an important game against the Chicago Bears, quarterback J.J. McCarthy is dealing with a right hand injury that resulted in him being a limited participant in practice.

He wore a bandage on his right hand during practice on Wednesday afternoon at TCO Performance Center and stood with his hands in his pockets as he talked to reporters afterward.

Though he made it clear that he doesn’t expect it to impact his preparation, the fact that McCarthy was a limited participant is not insignificant.

It’s worth continuing to monitor the situation as this week progresses.

Related Articles


The Loop Fantasy Football Report Week 11: RBs getting hard to get


Jalen Nailor’s breakout with the Vikings could make him a lot of money


Mizutani: Kevin O’Connell can only do so much to help J.J. McCarthy succeed


The highest and lowest PFF grades from the Vikings’ loss to the Ravens


Takeaways from the Vikings’ 27-19 loss to the Ravens

South Carolina lawmakers not only lose raise but also $1,000 a month in pay after court ruling

posted in: All news | 0

By JEFFREY COLLINS

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina lawmakers improperly gave themselves a $1,500 monthly raise, the state Supreme Court ruled Wednesday in a unanimous decision that will end up cutting legislators’ pay by thousands of dollars.

Related Articles


At ‘Make America Healthy Again’ summit, Vance praises RFK Jr.


These are the 37 donors helping pay for Trump’s $300 million White House ballroom


With their government contracts in limbo, small businesses await a historic shutdown’s end


UK’s Starmer refuses to say whether he will urge Trump to drop his $1 billion BBC threat


More Americans are unhappy with the way Trump is managing the government, poll shows

The justices said the “ in-district compensation ” qualifies as salary, meaning the increase can’t take effect until after the 2026 election. The General Assembly had made the raises immediate through a budget item earlier this year.

The ruling also eliminates a $1,000 monthly expense payment that all 46 senators and 124 House members receive, reducing their paychecks until legislators approve a new proposal.

The suit was brought by Republican Sen. Wes Climer, who voted against the raise, and one of his constituents.

“Public trust is earned by doing the right thing, even when it’s unpopular. I opposed this pay raise not because the job isn’t demanding, but because how we govern matters,” Climer said in a statement after the ruling.

From left to right, Republican South Carolina Sen. Wes Climer, York County resident Carol Herring, and attorney Dick Harpootlian talk about their case suing the state General Assembly over a pay raise outside the South Carolina Supreme Court building in Columbia, S.C., on Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2025.. (AP Photo/Jeffrey Collins)

No receipts? Court says that means extra pay is salary, not expenses

During arguments before the court last month, attorneys for the House and Senate said the raise was for expenses, not salary, and exempt from the waiting period.

The justices rejected that claim, instead siding with Climer’s attorneys who argued lawmakers themselves called it compensation and since they aren’t required to provide any receipts or documentation, it is salary.

The court acknowledged legislators’ pay hasn’t risen since 1994 and that current compensation is “paltry” compared to the demands of the job. But it noted that until this year the General Assembly had honored the constitutional ban on mid-term raises.

“Where a legislative enactment clearly contravenes our constitution, we have a duty to declare the legislative enactment unconstitutional,” the justices wrote.

Lawmakers warn the pay cut could hinder public service

When the part-time lawmakers return to the state capitol in January, they’ll get a lump sum of $10,400 for their $260-a-day pay for all of 2026. Members are also reimbursed for mileage driving to Columbia and a hotel room.

The loss of the $1,000 monthly payment, which they’ve been getting for decades, surprised many legislators. Some lawmakers said they used their own private salaries for town halls, equipment needed to help constituents or basic expenses.

The ruling ultimately hurts the public, Democratic Rep. Hamilton Grant said, because he expects lawmakers will have to cut back how they serve their constituents unless a politician is independently wealthy.

“The decision is unfortunate and rules in favor of political elitism,” Grant said in a text message. “Taking a pay cut in this economy for any job does not help working South Carolinians.”

Justices outline ways lawmakers could fix the issue

During October arguments, the justices suggested several remedies. Lawmakers could have called and treated the raise more like an expense fund, delayed paying it until 2027, or separated the new money from existing pay so it all wouldn’t have gone away, the justices said.

The in-district compensation raise was proposed late in the budget process by Republican Sen. Shane Martin. He spent about 30 seconds on the Senate floor saying the first raise in 30 years was needed because of inflation and higher costs.

South Carolina already has some of the lowest-paid legislators in the country. Comparisons are tricky because they involve salary, expenses and mileage, but the combination of $22,400 for salary and in-district expenses is well below other part-time legislatures like Alabama and Tennessee, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

It’s a lot higher than New Hampshire’s $100-a-year plus mileage but well below full-time lawmakers in California and New York, who earn more than $100,000 annually.

Gophers’ coach Niko Medved breaks down 2026 recruiting class

posted in: All news | 0

Head coach Niko Medved’s first recruiting class with the Gophers includes a four-star sharpshooter, a high-ceiling center and a tough, quick point guard.

The U announced Wednesday that Wayzata forward Nolen Anderson, Irvine, Calif., center Chadrack Mpoyi and East Ridge guard Cedric Tomes have signed to be three prongs in its 2026 class. Medved told the Pioneer Press on Tuesday the U’s group of high school additions will probably remain at three going into next season.

The Gophers’ incoming class is ranked 24th in the nation and sixth in the 18-team Big Ten, according to 247 Sports on Wednesday morning. Minnesota is among six schools in the conference with at least three commits apiece, which seems to boosts their standing as the early signing period opened.

The 6-foot-8 Anderson is considered a four-star prospect just outside the top 100 in the nation, while the 6-11 Mpoyi and 6-1 Tomes have been awarded three stars.

Here are Medved’s exclusive comments to the Poineer Press on each signee:

Anderson

“An elite shooter,” Medved said “… It’s been really cool to continue to watch his growth as a player. I feel like every time I see him he’s gotten taller. He’s becoming more explosive, athletic.”

Anderson helped lead Wayzata to the Class 4A state championship last March. He and Iowa State signee Christian Wiggins will lead the Trojans again this winter.

“(Anderson is) a winner,” Medved said. “He just plays the game the right way. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. I think he has a chance to be a tremendous player for us.”

Anderson averaged 17.7 points and 7.3 rebounds, while shooting 43% from 3-point range last year. His grandfather, Marlo Miller played for the Gophers (1957-60).

Mpoyi

“He is just oozing with potential,” Medved said. “He’s long. He’s athletic. He’s got good hands. … He’s just so raw.”

Gophers assistant coach Chad Warner “discovered” Mpoyi at an event in the spring, Medved said, and the U started recruiting him then. California-Santa Barbara was his only offer before Minnesota, with Utah, California, Utah State and Oregon State coming in later on.

Mpoyi moved from Likasi, Congo to California in 2024 and has only been playing basketball for five years. After playing on the Under Armour Circuit, he will play his senior season at Crean Lutheran High School.

“I think he’s going to have a great high school season and I think this guy has a chance to develop into a great player,” Medved said.

Tomes

“He has elite quickness,” Medved said. “… He can really shoot the ball.”

Tomes broke a finger on his non-shooting hand while playing quarterback for East Ridge this fall, but returned to the Raptors for the big-school playoffs.

“One of the things that I love about him is he is a multi-sport guy,” Medved said. “Cedric just loves to play. He loves to play and compete. … It would have been really easy (to) just shutdown football and get ready for basketball. But there was no way you were going to keep him off the field, to come back and have a chance to help his team. I just love that about him. He’s a competitor.”

Tomes averaged 27 points per game last season, setting East Ridge scoring records for single game (42 points) and season (735). With Tomes as the floor general last year, the Raptors went 27-1.

Related Articles


Men’s basketball: Gophers’ first stiff test awaits at Missouri


Men’s basketball: Gophers blowout Alcorn State in 95-50 win


Coach Niko Medved reflects on ‘pretty cool’ debut with Gophers


Men’s basketball: Gophers open with rout of Gardner-Webb


Frustrated by stagnation, Mark Coyle puts more money into Gophers men’s basketball