Women’s hockey: No. 2 Gophers pull away from Bemidji State

posted in: All news | 0

Minnesota scored four third-period goals to snap a 2-2 as the second-ranked Gophers beat Bemidji State on Friday at 3M Arena at Mariucci.

Six Gophers scored goals: Emma Kreisz, Sydney Morrow, Ava Lindsay, Jamie Nelson, Josefin Bouveng and Abbey Murphy as Minnesota improved to 11-2- overall and 7-2-0 in the WCHA.

Morrow scored short-handed to give the Gophers a 2-1 lead in the second period, and Lindsay’s goal put them up for good 5 minutes, 26 seconds into the third period.

Morgan Smith and Isa Goettl scored for Bemidji State (3-7-1, 1-7-1).

The teams meet again Saturday at Ridder Arena. Puck drop is set for 2 p.m.

Related Articles


How former Gophers have performed in the NFL this season?


LOVB plans to start professional volleyball team in Minnesota


Gophers recruit Charlie Jilek flips commitment to Texas


Gophers football at Oregon: Keys to game, how to watch, who has edge


Gophers can’t keep up with Missouri in a 83-60 loss

FDA adds strongest warning to Sarepta gene therapy linked to 2 patient deaths

posted in: All news | 0

By MATTHEW PERRONE, Associated Press Health Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Food and Drug Administration said Friday it will add a new warning and other limitations to a gene therapy for Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy that’s been linked to two patient deaths.

Related Articles


US appeals court upholds hate crime convictions of 3 white men in 2020 killing of Ahmaud Arbery


US military’s 20th strike on alleged drug-running boat kills 4 in the Caribbean


Officials in North Carolina city vow to resist looming federal immigration crackdown


Protesters arrested after clashing with police outside Chicago-area immigration facility


In hurricane-torn Jamaica, this couple’s climate-resilient breadfruit program offers food and hope

The infused therapy from Sarepta Therapeutics will carry a boxed warning — the most serious type — alerting doctors and patients to the risk of potentially fatal liver failure with the treatment, the FDA said in a release.

The one-time therapy, Elevidys, has been under FDA scrutiny since the company reported the first of two deaths of teenage boys in March. Following a second death reported in June, the FDA briefly called for halting all shipments of the drug. But the agency quickly reversed course after facing pushback from patient families and libertarian activists close to President Donald Trump.

Elevidys is the first U.S.-approved gene therapy for Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy, a fatal muscle-wasting disease that affects boys and young men.

In addition to the boxed warning, the FDA is also limiting the drug’s approved use to patients who are 4 years old and up and can still walk. Previously the FDA had allowed the drug’s use in immobile patients, who generally have more advanced disease.

New labeling will also recommend weekly liver function monitoring for the first three months of treatment, as well as other precautionary steps.

Elevidys is Sarepta’s best-selling product and recent headwinds against the drug have weighed heavily on the company and its stock. In July, the Cambridge, Massachusetts-based company announced it would lay off 500 employees.

Sarepta Therapeutics Inc. shares rose 7.7% in trading after the FDA announcement, reflecting improved visibility for investors about the company’s outlook.

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

US appeals court upholds hate crime convictions of 3 white men in 2020 killing of Ahmaud Arbery

posted in: All news | 0

By RUSS BYNUM, Associated Press

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — A federal appeals court on Friday upheld the hate crime convictions of three white men who chased Ahmaud Arbery through their Georgia subdivision with pickup trucks before one of them killed the running Black man with a shotgun.

Related Articles


Officials in North Carolina city vow to resist looming federal immigration crackdown


Protesters arrested after clashing with police outside Chicago-area immigration facility


In hurricane-torn Jamaica, this couple’s climate-resilient breadfruit program offers food and hope


Suspect arrested in shooting of ‘Last Chance U’ football coach John Beam


A suspect in the shooting of ‘Last Chance U’ coach John Beam is arrested, Oakland police say

A three-judge panel of the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals took well over a year to rule after attorneys for the defendants urged the judges in March 2024 to overturn the case, arguing the men’s history of racist text messages and social media posts failed to prove they targeted Arbery because of his race.

Federal prosecutors used those posts and messages in 2022 to persuade a jury that Arbery’s killing was motivated by “pent-up racial anger.”

Even if the appeals judges had thrown out their hate-crime convictions, the trio faced no immediate reprieve from prison. That’s because they’re also serving life terms for murder after being convicted in a Georgia state court.

Father and son Greg and Travis McMichael armed themselves and used a pickup truck to pursue 25-year-old Arbery after spotting him running in their neighborhood just outside the port city of Brunswick on Feb. 23, 2020. A neighbor, William “Roddie” Bryan, joined the chase and recorded cellphone video of Travis McMichael shooting Arbery at close range.

More than two months passed without arrests, until Bryan’s graphic video of the killing leaked online. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation took over the case from local police as outrage over Arbery’s death became part of a national outcry over racial injustice. Charges soon followed.

All three men were convicted of murder by a state court in late 2021. After a second trial in U.S. District Court in early 2022, a jury found the trio guilty of hate crimes and attempted kidnapping.

Greg McMichael’s attorney, A.J. Balbo, declined to comment on the appellate ruling. Attorneys for Bryan and Travis McMichael did not immediately return phone and email messages.

US military’s 20th strike on alleged drug-running boat kills 4 in the Caribbean

posted in: All news | 0

By BEN FINLEY, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. military’s 20th strike on a boat accused of transporting drugs has killed four people in the Caribbean Sea, a Pentagon official said Friday, coming as the Trump administration escalates its campaign in South American waters.

Related Articles


Officials in North Carolina city vow to resist looming federal immigration crackdown


Protesters arrested after clashing with police outside Chicago-area immigration facility


In hurricane-torn Jamaica, this couple’s climate-resilient breadfruit program offers food and hope


Suspect arrested in shooting of ‘Last Chance U’ football coach John Beam


A suspect in the shooting of ‘Last Chance U’ coach John Beam is arrested, Oakland police say

The latest strike happened Monday, according to the official, who wasn’t authorized to discuss the matter and spoke on condition of anonymity. It brings the death toll from the strikes that began in September to 80, with the Mexican Navy suspending its search for a survivor of a strike in late October after four days.

The attack, which occurred the same day that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth announced two strikes had been carried out on Sunday, comes as the Trump administration expands the U.S. military’s already large presence in the region by bringing in the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier. The nation’s most advanced warship is expected to arrive in the coming days after traveling from the Mediterranean Sea.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth on Thursday formally named the mission Operation Southern Spear, emphasizing the growing significance and permanence of the military’s presence in the region. Once the Ford arrives, the mission will encompass nearly a dozen Navy ships as well about 12,000 sailors and Marines.

The Trump administration has insisted that the buildup of warships is focused on stopping the flow of drugs into the U.S., but it has released no evidence to support its assertions that those killed in the boats were “narcoterrorists.” The strikes have targeted vessels largely in the Caribbean Sea but also have taken place in the eastern Pacific Ocean, where much of the cocaine from the world’s largest producers is smuggled.

The USS Gravely destroyer arrives to dock for military exercises in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Sunday, Oct. 26, 2025. (AP Photo/Robert Taylor)

Some observers say the aircraft carrier is a big new tool of intimidation against Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, who faces charges of narcoterrorism in the U.S. Experts disagree on whether American warplanes may bomb land targets to pressure Maduro to step down.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio says the U.S. doesn’t recognize Maduro, who was widely accused of stealing last year’s election, as the leader of Venezuela and has called the government a “transshipment organization” that openly cooperates with those trafficking drugs toward the U.S.

Maduro has said the U.S. government is “fabricating” a war against him. Venezuela’s government this week touted a “massive” mobilization of troops and civilians to defend against possible U.S. attacks.

Trump has justified the attacks by saying the United States is in “armed conflict” with drug cartels and claiming the boats are operated by foreign terror organizations that are flooding America’s cities with drugs.

Lawmakers, including Republicans, have pressed for more information on who is being targeted and the legal justification for the strikes.

Rubio and Hegseth met with a bipartisan group of lawmakers who oversee national security issues last week, providing one of the first high-level glimpses into the legal rationale and strategy behind the strikes.

Senate Republicans voted a day later to reject legislation that would have put a check on Trump’s ability to launch an attack against Venezuela without congressional authorization.