Hulk Hogan’s death may have been result of ‘severed’ nerve, medical malpractice

posted in: All news | 0

As questions continue to surround the cause of Hulk Hogan’s death last month, Florida law enforcement sources are saying it may have been the result of medical malpractice.

Hogan’s 46-year-old widow, Sky Daily, confirmed to TMZ on Thursday that his phrenic nerve — which enables the lungs to inhale and exhale air — was “compromised” during a recent operation. Daily also confirmed that an autopsy has been performed, but declined to reveal its results.

Her remarks followed the outlet’s report that an occupational therapist who was at Hogan’s home when he stopped breathing told Clearwater police that a surgeon had “severed” Hogan’s phrenic nerve.

The therapist’s claims of medical malpractice were recorded by the officers who responded to the scene, though sources told TMZ the police report is on “lockdown.”

In a statement to the outlet on Thursday, Clearwater police confirmed the investigation into Hogan’s death is ongoing.

“The unique nature of this case has required us to interview multiple witnesses and seek medical records from a variety of providers, and our detectives continue to do that,” they said. “All of this takes time.”

Related Articles


Police investigation continues into death of Hulk Hogan


Brent Hinds, former Mastodon singer-guitarist, dies in motorcycle crash


Rhode Island Judge Frank Caprio, whose empathy in court earned him fame online, dies at 88


Terence Stamp, British actor who portrayed General Zod in early Superman films, dies at 87


‘Love Island USA’ star has meet and greet at Maplewood Mall

Hogan was pronounced dead on July 24 in Clearwater, Fla., after medics were dispatched to his home in response to a cardiac arrest. The 71-year-old’s cause of death was later confirmed to be a heart attack, though documents obtained by Us Weekly also said he had a history of leukemia CLL.

The latter took estranged daughter Brooke by surprise, given her knowledge of his medical history. She said she had been present for almost all of her dad’s surgeries in previous years and reviewed his blood work each time, but was never given any indication he had cancer.

Like authorities, Brooke said there were “no signs of foul play or anything suspicious” about her father’s death. Still, she was calling for an autopsy to be performed so the family could be certain about Hulk’s “very complicated medical history.”

Earlier this month, Daily said the family was looking to answer “every question about his medical care” prior to him being cremated.

Police respond to a report of an active shooter at Villanova University

posted in: All news | 0

VILLANOVA, Pa. (AP) — Police responded Thursday to a report of an active shooter on the campus of Villanova University, days before the start of classes.

Related Articles


Passengers sue United and Delta for selling ‘window’ seats next to blank walls


Police investigation continues into death of Hulk Hogan


Privacy and civil rights groups urge US colleges to end campus surveillance to protect protesters


Lawyers ask judge to order ICE to free Spanish-language journalist from immigration detention


Brent Hinds, former Mastodon singer-guitarist, dies in motorcycle crash

Students shared an alert text from the Villanova alert system that informed them of an active shooter on campus and told them to lock and barricade doors and move to secure locations. A second alert from Villanova officials warned people to stay away from the law school.

In a post on X, Radnor Township told nearby residents and students to shelter in place. No other information was given.

Videos posted on social media showed a crowd being rushed inside a building on campus. New student orientation and registration started Thursday and is scheduled to go until Saturday. Classes begin Monday.

Villanova University is a private Catholic university in the Philadelphia suburbs. It borders Lower Merion Township and Radnor Township at the center of the city’s wealthy Main Line neighborhoods.

The Augustinian school got extra attention this year as the alma mater of new Pope Leo XIV.

City Backtracks on CityFHEPs Voucher Incentive, Will Subject Rule Change to Public Review

posted in: All news | 0

After a judge issued a temporary restraining order preventing the city from immediately eliminating an incentive that pays landlords to hold vacant units for CityFHEPs voucher holders, the city decided to put the rule change through the official public review process.

New York County Supreme Court located at 60 Centre St., where the CityFHEPS case is playing out. (Adi Talwar/City Limits)

Incentives for landlords to hold units for CityFHEPs voucher holders will continue, at least temporarily, after a court appearance Thursday morning where lawyers for the City of New York stated their intention to send the rule change through an official public review process.

The incentive pays one month’s rent for voucher holders moving into housing from shelter while the city processes their applications. As City Limits first reported, the Department of Social Services (DSS) had, in a late May email, announced that it would be ending the payment in an effort to rein in costs.

The Legal Aid Society and a group of voucher holders sued, arguing the decision was made without a good reason and without going through the official process for program rule changes, called the City Administrative Procedure Act (CAPA).

They won a temporary restraining order to preserve the incentive on June 27. Thursday morning, a judge extended a preliminary injunction to halt the changes.

“You’re preliminarily enjoined from making changes until the finalization of such a rule,” said Judge Lyle Frank to the petitioners and respondents in court Thursday morning.

Tenants moving into housing with CityFHEPs vouchers pay 30 percent of their income on rent. The program has grown significantly in recent years, with more than 15,000 households moving into housing with a voucher in fiscal year 2025, a 17 percent increase to a total of 58,723 assisted households.

Landlords, brokers, lawyers, and tenants told City Limits that eliminating the payment would make it harder for landlords to take CityFHEPS, with one real estate group previously describing the program as “cumbersome, lengthy, and convoluted.”

It’s already difficult for CityFHEPs holders to find building owners who will rent to them (though rejecting a tenant because of how they pay their rent, a practice known as source of income discrimination, is illegal under the city’s human rights law).

Advocacy groups supporting homeless New Yorkers celebrated the injunction.

“It seems the Adams administration will go to the ends of the Earth, including through frivolous legal action, to make life even more difficult for New Yorkers in need,” said Christine Quinn, chief operating officer for Women In Need, in a statement.

DSS previously told City Limits that the rule did not have to go through the official CAPA review process because the incentive was not an official rule of the CityFHEPs program when it began, and that the agency can allocate resources as it sees fit.

But after the judge issued an initial temporary restraining order, the city has since decided to send the rule change through the CAPA process, which includes providing the public with a minimum of 60 days to review and comment on the proposal. 

DSS said no changes would be made to the program until after the review is complete.

That process could begin next week, Eric Hiatt, senior counsel at NYC Law Department told Judge Frank, though neither he nor DSS conceded that the rule change should have gone through CAPA in the first place. 

The City Law Department declined to comment further on the case.

DSS, in response to written questions from City Limits, said the decision to pursue CAPA was to take a more proactive approach and respond to concerns raised by advocates and community members.

DSS previously told City Limits that it eliminated the incentive, which had been a feature of the CityFHEPs program since it began in 2017, because it had new data systems that would make processing voucher applications faster. 

Housing advocates at a rally outside City Hall in 2023, to call for expanding CityFHEPS. (Gerardo Romo / NYC Council Media Unit)

Eliminating the extra month’s rent payment, DSS claims, was part of a plan to reduce costs as the budget for the CityFHEPs program has grown fivefold since 2021, to $1.25 billion in fiscal year 2025.

DSS previously told City Limits that the average time to process voucher applications was about three weeks. An audit by the state comptroller’s office last year found that it can sometimes take much longer (DSS disputes the findings of the comptroller’s report).

“We’re not buying the 25 days argument. It’s not 25 days. Unless they completely revamp the process to really streamline it and make it under a month, these problems are gonna exist,” said Pavita Krishnaswamy, supervising attorney at Legal Aid who argued the case Thursday morning.

Judge Frank declined to take further action, like ruling if ending the incentive was lawful, before the public review process completed.

“They could decide tomorrow, through the CAPA process, to keep the program…I just think it’s premature,” said Judge Frank.

Legal Aid’s Krishnaswamy maintained that they will fight the rule change regardless, arguing that there are tens of thousands of people in shelters who rely on the incentive.

“It will have the effect—whether you go through CAPA or not—of harming petitioners and this entire class of individuals,” said Pavita.

Legal Aid said that if the rule change goes through CAPA and the city still decides to eliminate the incentive, they will continue to sue on grounds that the move is “arbitrary and capricious”—in other words, it was made without a good reason.

“It makes no sense and [the incentive is] saving the city tons of money,” said Krishnaswamy. “It is in the city’s interest and the petitioner’s interest for people to be moved out of shelters into affordable, permanent housing. The unit incentive, in our experience, is one of the only things that makes it possible for them to move out.”

To reach the reporter behind this story, contact Patrick@citylimits.org. To reach the editor, contact Jeanmarie@citylimits.org

Want to republish this story? Find City Limits’ reprint policy here.

The post City Backtracks on CityFHEPs Voucher Incentive, Will Subject Rule Change to Public Review appeared first on City Limits.

Supreme Court lets Trump administration cut $783 million of research funding in anti-DEI push

posted in: All news | 0

By LINDSAY WHITEHURST

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration can slash hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of research funding in its push to cut federal diversity, equity and inclusion efforts, the Supreme Court decided Thursday.

Related Articles


Vance pitches Trump’s sweeping new law as a ‘working families’ tax cut’ in swing-state Georgia


Trump blames renewable energy for rising electricity prices. Experts point elsewhere


Judge says former Trump lawyer Alina Habba has been unlawfully serving as US attorney in New Jersey


Trump administration reviewing all 55M people with US visas for potential deportable violations


Iowa Democrats consider bringing back lead off caucuses, even if it means going ‘rogue’ in 2028

The high court majority lifted a judge’s order blocking $783 million worth of cuts made by the National Institutes of Health to align with Republican President Donald Trump’s priorities. The high court did keep Trump administration guidance on future funding blocked, however.

The court split 5-4 on the decision. Chief Justice John Roberts was along those who would have kept the cuts blocked, along with the court’s three liberals.

The order marks the latest Supreme Court win for Trump and allows the administration to forge ahead with canceling hundreds of grants while the lawsuit continues to unfold. The plaintiffs, including states and public-health advocacy groups, have argued that the cuts will inflict “incalculable losses in public health and human life.”

The Justice Department, meanwhile, has said funding decisions should not be “subject to judicial second-guessing” and efforts to promote policies referred to as DEI can “conceal insidious racial discrimination.”

The lawsuit addresses only part of the estimated $12 billion of NIH research projects that have been cut, but in its emergency appeal, the Trump administration also took aim at nearly two dozen other times judges have stood in the way of its funding cuts.

Solicitor General D. John Sauer said judges shouldn’t be considering those cases under an earlier Supreme Court decision that cleared the way for teacher-training program cuts. He says they should go to federal claims court instead.

But the plaintiffs, 16 Democratic state attorneys general and public-health advocacy groups, argued that research grants are fundamentally different from the teacher-training contracts and couldn’t be sent to claims court. Halting studies midway can also ruin the data already collected and ultimately harm the country’s potential for scientific breakthroughs by disrupting scientists’ work in the middle of their careers, they argued.

U.S. District Judge William Young judge in Massachusetts agreed, finding the abrupt cancellations were arbitrary and discriminatory. “I’ve never seen government racial discrimination like this,” Young, an appointee of Republican President Ronald Reagan, said at a hearing in June. He later added: “Have we no shame.”

An appeals court left Young’s ruling in place.