Trump is hosting Syria’s al-Sharaa for a first-of-its-kind meeting at the White House

posted in: All news | 0

By SEUNG MIN KIM, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is hosting Syrian President Ahmad al-Sharaa at the White House on Monday, welcoming the once-pariah state into a U.S-led global coalition to fight the Islamic State group.

FILE – Syria’s interim President Ahmad al-Sharaa looks on during a press conference in Ankara, Turkey, Feb. 4, 2025. (AP Photo/Francisco Seco, File)

It’s the first visit to the White House by a Syrian head of state since the Middle Eastern country gained independence from France in 1946 and comes after the U.S. lifted sanctions imposed on Syria during the decades the country was ruled by the Assad family. Al-Sharaa led the rebel forces that toppled former Syrian President Bashar Assad last December and was named the country’s interim leader in January.

Trump and al-Sharaa — who once had ties to al-Qaida and had a $10 million U.S. bounty on his head — first met in May in Saudi Arabia. At the time, the U.S. president described al-Sharaa as a “young, attractive guy. Tough guy. Strong past, very strong past. Fighter.” It was the first official encounter between the U.S. and Syria since 2000, when former President Bill Clinton met with Hafez Assad, the father of Bashar Assad.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Monday’s visit is “part of the president’s efforts in diplomacy to meet with anyone around the world in the pursuit of peace.”

Trump has recently said al-Sharaa is “doing a very good job so far” and that a “lot of progress has been made with Syria” since the U.S. eased sanctions.

One official with knowledge of the administration’s plans said Syria’s entry into the global coalition fighting the Islamic State group will allow it to work more closely with U.S. forces, although the new Syrian military and the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in the country’s northeast had already been fighting the group.

Before al-Sharaa’s arrival in the U.S., the United Nations Security Council voted to lift sanctions on the Syrian president and other government officials in a move that Mike Waltz, the U.S. ambassador to the U.N., said was a strong sign that Syria is in a new era since the fall of Assad.

Related Articles


US officials in Israel to press truce forward as first phase of Israel-Hamas ceasefire wanes


States face uncertainty as Trump administration tries to reverse SNAP food payments


Trump pardons Rudy Giuliani and others who backed efforts to overturn 2020 election, official says


Senate moves toward compromise legislation to end government shutdown


Donald Trump booed as the 1st sitting US president at a regular-season NFL game since Carter in 1978

Al-Sharaa comes into the meeting with his own priorities. He wants a permanent repeal of sanctions that punished Syria for widespread allegations of human rights abuses by Assad’s government and security forces. While the Caesar Act sanctions are currently waived by Trump, a permanent repeal would require Congress to act.

One option is a proposal from Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, that would end the sanctions without any conditions. The other was drafted by Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., a hawkish Trump ally who wants to set conditions for a sanctions repeal that would be reviewed every six months.

But advocates argue that any repeal with conditions would prevent companies from investing in Syria because they would fear potentially being sanctioned. Mouaz Moustafa, executive director of the Syrian Emergency Task Force, likened it to a “hanging shadow that paralyzes any initiatives for our country.”

Associated Press writer Konstantin Toropin contributed to this report.

US officials in Israel to press truce forward as first phase of Israel-Hamas ceasefire wanes

posted in: All news | 0

By WAFAA SHURAFA and JULIA FRANKEL, Associated Press

DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — Israel on Monday returned the remains of 15 Palestinians to Gaza in the latest step forward for a U.S.-brokered ceasefire, as a top White House envoy met with Israeli leaders to discuss the next stages of the fragile agreement.

Israel returned the bodies after Palestinian militants released the remains of a hostage Sunday. With the latest exchange, only four bodies of hostages remained in Gaza.

As the first stage of the agreement reached its waning days, U.S. President Donald Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, met on Monday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem, according to a photo released by the premier’s office.

The last ceasefire agreement in January 2025 fizzled after the exchange of hostages for Palestinian prisoners, with Israel launching a wave of airstrikes over Gaza. At the time, mediators were unable to bring Hamas and Israel to the table to negotiate troop withdrawal and future governance of the strip.

They face a similar challenge now, as the next stage of the agreement calls for the implementation of a governing body for Gaza and the deployment of an international stabilization force. It is not clear where either stands.

The latest exchange of bodies

The Gaza Health Ministry said the Red Cross handed over the Palestinian bodies Monday, raising the total number received to 315. For each Israeli hostage returned, Israel has been releasing the remains of 15 Palestinians.

Related Articles


States face uncertainty as Trump administration tries to reverse SNAP food payments


Trump pardons Rudy Giuliani and others who backed efforts to overturn 2020 election, official says


Senate moves toward compromise legislation to end government shutdown


Donald Trump booed as the 1st sitting US president at a regular-season NFL game since Carter in 1978


Top BBC bosses resign after criticism of the broadcaster’s editing of a Trump speech

The ministry, part of the Hamas-run government and staffed by medical professionals, maintains detailed records viewed as generally reliable by independent experts.

Only 91 of the bodies returned so far have been identified, the ministry said. Forensic work is complicated by a lack of DNA testing kits in Gaza. The ministry posts photos of the remains online, in the hope that families will recognize them.

The handover came after Israel on Sunday confirmed it had received the remains of Hadar Goldin, a soldier killed in the Gaza Strip in 2014, closing a painful chapter for the country.

The 23-year-old was killed two hours after a ceasefire took effect in that year’s war between Israel and Hamas. Goldin’s family waged a public campaign for 11 years to bring home his remains. Earlier this year, they marked 4,000 days since his body was taken.

Israel’s military had long determined that he had been killed, based on evidence found in the tunnel where his body was taken, including a blood-soaked shirt and prayer fringes. His remains had been the only ones left in Gaza predating the current war between Israel and Hamas.

Around 1,200 people, mostly civilians, were killed in the Hamas-led terrorist attack on Oct. 7, 2023, on southern Israel, which sparked the war, and 251 people were kidnapped. On Saturday, Gaza’s Health Ministry said that the number of Palestinians killed in Gaza has risen to 69,176.

US officials try to push ceasefire forward

Netanyahu’s office did not immediately say what he and Dermer had discussed in his Monday meeting with Kushner. Kushner, a top adviser to Trump, was a key architect of Washington’s 20-point ceasefire plan.

The deal that took effect Oct. 10 has focused on the first phase of halting the fighting, releasing all hostages and boosting humanitarian aid to Gaza.

Details of the second phase, including deploying an international security force, disarming Hamas and governing postwar Gaza, haven’t yet been worked out.

Kushner was helping to lead negotiations to secure safe passage for 150-200 trapped Hamas fighters in exchange for surrendering their weapons after the release of Goldin’s remains, according to someone close to the negotiations, who spoke on condition of anonymity to describe the talks.

Hamas has made no comment on a possible exchange for its fighters stuck in the so-called yellow zone, which is controlled by Israeli forces, though they acknowledged that clashes were taking place there.

States face uncertainty as Trump administration tries to reverse SNAP food payments

posted in: All news | 0

By DAVID A. LIEB and GEOFF MULVIHILL, Associated Press

States administering a federal food aid program serving about 42 million Americans faced uncertainty Monday over whether they can — and should — provide full monthly benefits during an ongoing legal battle involving the U.S. government shutdown.

Volunteer Karen Robinson moves groceries durning an emergency food distribution at The Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia’s Mitzvah Food Program in Philadelphia, Friday, Nov. 7, 2025. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

President Donald Trump’s administration over weekend demanded that states “undo” full benefits that were paid under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program during a one-day window between when a federal judge ordered full funding and a Supreme Court justice put a temporary pause on that order.

A federal appeals court now is considering whether to impose a longer halt to the full benefits. And Congress is considering whether to fund SNAP as part of a proposal to end the government shutdown.

Some states are warning of “catastrophic operational disruptions” if the Trump administration does not reimburse them for those SNAP benefits they already authorized. Meanwhile, other states are providing partial monthly SNAP benefits with federal money or using their own funds to load electronic benefit cards for SNAP recipients.

Millions receive aid while others wait

Trump’s administration initially said SNAP benefits would not be available in November because of the government shutdown. After some states and nonprofit groups sued, two judges each ruled the administration could not skip November’s benefits entirely.

Related Articles


Senate moves toward compromise legislation to end government shutdown


Donald Trump booed as the 1st sitting US president at a regular-season NFL game since Carter in 1978


Top BBC bosses resign after criticism of the broadcaster’s editing of a Trump speech


Trump administration demands states ‘undo’ full SNAP payouts as states warn of ‘catastrophic impact’


The U.S. was a leader in cultural heritage investigations. Now those agents are working immigration enforcement.

The administration then said it would use an emergency reserve fund to provide 65% of the maximum monthly benefit. On Thursday, U.S. District Judge John J. McConnell said that wasn’t good enough, and ordered full funding for SNAP benefits by Friday.

Some states acted quickly to direct their EBT vendors to disburse full monthly benefits to SNAP recipients. Millions of people in those states received funds to buy groceries before Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson put McConnell’s order on hold Friday night, pending further deliberation by an appeals court.

Millions more people still have not received SNAP payments for November, because their states were waiting on further guidance from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which administers SNAP.

Trump’s administration has argued that the judicial order to provide full benefits violates the Constitution by infringing on the spending power of the legislative and executive branches.

States are fighting attempt to freeze SNAP benefits

On Sunday, the Trump administration said states had moved too quickly and erroneously released full SNAP benefits after last week’s rulings.

“States must immediately undo any steps taken to issue full SNAP benefits for November 2025,” Patrick Penn, deputy undersecretary of Agriculture, wrote to state SNAP directors. He warned that states could face penalties if they did not comply.

Wisconsin, which was among the first to load full benefits after McConnell’s order, had its federal reimbursement frozen. As a result, the state’s SNAP account could be depleted as soon Monday, leaving no money to reimburse stores that sell food to SNAP recipients, according to a court filing submitted by those that had sued.

Some Democratic governors vowed to challenge any federal attempt to claw back money.

In Connecticut, Democratic Gov. Ned Lamont said “those who received their benefits should not worry about losing them.”

“No, Connecticut does not need to take back SNAP benefits already sent to the 360,000 people who depend on them for food and who should have never been caught in the middle of this political fight,” Lamont said. “We have their back.”

Associated Press writers Scott Bauer in Madison, Wisconsin; John Hanna in Topeka, Kansas; and Nicholas Riccardi in Denver contributed to this report.

Flight cancellations and delays worsen as government shutdown drags on

posted in: All news | 0

By KEN SWEET, Associated Press Business Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — The pain Americans are facing at airports across the country is expected to get worse this week if Congress is unable to reach a deal to reopen the federal government.

People wait in line to check in to American Airlines flights at Chicago O’Hare International Airport in Chicago, Ill., Sunday, Nov. 9, 2025. (AP Photo/Adam Gray)

U.S. airlines canceled more than 1,500 flights Saturday and more than 2,900 Sunday to comply with an FAA order to reduce traffic as some air traffic controllers, who have gone unpaid for nearly a month, have stopped showing up for work.

As of early Monday, airlines had already canceled nearly 1,600 flights for Monday and nearly 1,000 for Tuesday.

The Senate took a first step toward ending the shutdown Sunday, but final passage could still be several days away and experts have said it will take time for flights to go back to normal even after the government reopens.

Many airports are facing significant delays for flights that haven’t been canceled as well, with airports in Newark, Orlando, Chicago and Detroit all facing departure delays of more than an hour and increasing, according to FlightAware.

This is the second pay period that air traffic controllers have not received any pay for their work. The head of the air traffic controllers union, Nick Daniels, will hold a press conference Monday morning to address the impact the shutdown is having on them.

Related Articles


Today in History: November 10, storm sends freighter to the bottom of Lake Superior


Senate moves toward compromise legislation to end government shutdown


Donald Trump booed as the 1st sitting US president at a regular-season NFL game since Carter in 1978


Top BBC bosses resign after criticism of the broadcaster’s editing of a Trump speech


Trump administration demands states ‘undo’ full SNAP payouts as states warn of ‘catastrophic impact’

The delays and cancellations are likely to get worse as airlines are increasingly unable to reposition planes, pilots and flight attendants due to the air traffic controller shortage.

The FAA implemented a 4% mandatory reduction in flights this weekend to manage staffing. That will increase to 6% on Tuesday and 10% reduction by this upcoming weekend. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said on “Fox News Sunday” that additional flight cuts of up to 20% might be needed.

“More controllers aren’t coming to work day by day, the further they go without a paycheck,” Duffy said.

The government has been short of air traffic controllers for years, and multiple presidential administrations have tried to persuade retirement-age controllers to remain on the job. Duffy said the shutdown has exacerbated the problem, leading some air traffic controllers to speed up their retirements.

While 4% may sound modest, much of that reduction is happening at 40 of the nation’s busiest and most congested airports. The FAA says the flight reduction is necessary to keep travelers safe as many of the remaining controllers have been putting in long hours and mandatory overtime while the government remains unfunded.

If not addressed soon, the situation could get even worse as the U.S. heads into the busy holiday travel season. Duffy said that air travel may “be reduced to a trickle” by the week of Thanksgiving.

Associated Press writers Stephen Groves and Kevin Freking contributed to this report from Washington. Associated Press writer Rio Yamat contributed from Las Vegas.