Shooting, ‘active assailant’ reported at high school near Denver

posted in: All news | 0

Jefferson County law enforcement are responding to an “active assailant” and shooting at Evergreen High School, officials said Wednesday afternoon.

The county’s 911 dispatch center posted about an assailant near the high school at 29300 Buffalo Park Road and described it as an “active scene” in a post on social media.

No information about people who were injured was immediately available, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office said.

Parents and guardians should not go to the high school because of ongoing police activity. A reunification area is being set up at Wilmot Elementary School, 5124 S. Hatch Drive.

Evergreen is about 40 minutes southwest of Denver.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Turning Point USA confirms CEO Charlie Kirk shot at Utah college event

posted in: All news | 0

OREM, Utah (AP) — Charlie Kirk, the CEO and co-founder of the conservative youth organization Turning Point USA, was shot Wednesday at an event at a Utah college, Turning Point said.

“We are confirming that he was shot and we are praying for Charlie,” said Aubrey Laitsch, public relations manager for Turning Point USA.

Kirk was attending an event at Utah Valley University.

The shooting comes amid a spike in political violence in the United States across all parts of the ideological spectrum. The attacks include the assassination of a Minnesota state lawmaker and her husband at their house in June, the firebombing of a Colorado parade to demand Hamas release hostages, and a fire set at the house of Pennsylvania’s governor, who is Jewish, in April. The most notorious of these events is the shooting of President Donald Trump during a campaign rally last year.

This is a developing story; check back for updates.

Related Articles


Over 40% of arrests in Trump’s DC law enforcement surge relate to immigration, AP analysis finds


Kilmar Abrego Garcia wants asylum. The US wants to deport him. What to know


Michigan dismissal highlights the challenges in prosecuting cases against Trump’s 2020 fake electors


3 fired FBI officials sue Patel, saying he bowed to Trump administration’s ‘campaign of retribution’


From slavery to pollution, National Park employees flagged material deemed ‘disparaging’ to US

Zohran Mamdani has a new goal as he runs for NYC mayor: cheaper World Cup tickets

posted in: All news | 0

By JAKE OFFENHARTZ, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City mayoral candidate Zohran Mamdani, who won the Democratic nomination on a platform of making the city more affordable, is now calling on soccer’s global governing body to make it cheaper for New Yorkers to attend the World Cup.

In a petition released Wednesday, Mamdani demanded FIFA reverse its plan to set ticket prices for next year’s tournament based on demand, likening the practice to “price gouging.”

The Democratic socialist, who dubbed his campaign “Game Over Greed,” also called for 15% of tickets to be set aside at discounted prices for residents.

“As a lifelong football — sorry, I mean soccer fan, I couldn’t be more excited,” Mamdani said in an accompanying social media video, affecting a faux-British accent as he juggled a soccer ball in his dress shoes. “But are any working-class New Yorkers actually going to be able to watch any of the matches?”

Related Articles


Turning Point USA confirms CEO Charlie Kirk shot at Utah college event


Federal agents seize more than 600K illegal vapes in nationwide crackdown


Over 40% of arrests in Trump’s DC law enforcement surge relate to immigration, AP analysis finds


Kilmar Abrego Garcia wants asylum. The US wants to deport him. What to know


Michigan dismissal highlights the challenges in prosecuting cases against Trump’s 2020 fake electors

The tournament will be played across 16 cities in North America. Eight matches, including the final, will be held at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, a short train ride away from New York City.

“So many of our neighbors will not be able to afford to be there,” Mamdani added, accusing FIFA of “pricing working people out of the game that they love.”

A spokesperson for FIFA did not respond to an emailed request for comment.

In recent days, FIFA’s plan to adopt a “variable pricing” model for ticket sales — similar to the one used by airlines or hotels — has sparked controversy among some fans.

Tickets will start at $60 for group-stage matches and increase to $6,730 for the final, officials said last week, but could fluctuate under the demand-based pricing model. Mamdani also called on the governing body to implement a cap on resale ticket prices — something it has agreed to do in Mexico, but not in the United States or Canada, he said.

Mamdani, who surged to victory in the primary based on promises such as freezing rent for New Yorkers and making buses free, situated the World Cup fight as part of his larger battle against rising costs for working people.

“Pope John Paul II said, ‘Of all the unimportant things, football is the most important,’” he said at a press conference Wednesday. “This is part and parcel of a larger affordability crisis in this city. Once again, it will be working people who will be left behind.”

John Lennon’s killer denied parole for 14th time

posted in: All news | 0

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — The man who killed John Lennon outside the former Beatle’s Manhattan apartment building in 1980 has been denied parole for a 14th time, according to New York prison officials.

Mark David Chapman, 70, appeared before a parole board on Aug 27, and the decision was recently posted online by the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

FILE – This photo provided by the New York State Department of Corrections shows Mark David Chapman, the man who shot and killed John Lennon outside his Manhattan apartment building in 1980, Jan. 31, 2018. (New York State Department of Corrections via AP, File)

Chapman fatally shot Lennon on the night of Dec. 8, 1980, as the musician and his wife, Yoko Ono, were returning to their Upper West Side apartment. Lennon had signed an autograph for Chapman on a copy of his recently released album, “Double Fantasy,” earlier that day.

Chapman was arrested within minutes, sitting near the shooting scene with a copy of J.D. Salinger’s novel, “The Catcher in the Rye.”

Lennon was 40 years old.

FILE – In this May 13, 1968 file photo, singer John Lennon appears during a press conference at the Hotel Americana in New York. (AP Photo, File)

The transcript for the latest parole board hearing was not immediately available. But Chapman previously expressed remorse for the crime.

“I knew what I was doing, and I knew it was evil, I knew it was wrong, but I wanted the fame so much that I was willing to give everything and take a human life,” he told a parole board three years ago.

Related Articles


Musk loses crown as world’s richest to software giant Larry Ellison in new Bloomberg ranking


Over 40% of arrests in Trump’s DC law enforcement surge relate to immigration, AP analysis finds


Trump’s signature, a symbol of presidential power, is under new scrutiny thanks to the Epstein case


This California town was ravaged by a wildfire. Seven years later, schools are still recovering


New findings by NASA Mars rover provide strongest hints yet of potential signs of ancient life

Chapman is serving a 20-years-to-life sentence at Green Haven Correctional Facility, north of New York City, according to online state corrections records.

His next parole hearing is in February 2027.