Trump says he doesn’t want Somali immigrants in the US, urges them to go back to their homeland and fix it

posted in: All news | 0

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump during a lengthy Cabinet meeting on Tuesday said he did not want Somali immigrants in the United States, saying residents of the war-ravaged eastern African country are too reliant on U.S. social safety net and add little to America.

The president’s comment came days after his administration announced they are halting all asylum decisions following the shooting of two National Guard soldiers in Washington. The suspect in last week’s incident is originally from Afghanistan but Trump has used the moment to raise questions about immigrants from other nations, including Somalia.

“They contribute nothing. The welfare is like 88% or something. They contribute nothing. I don’t want them in our country,” He said. “Their country is no good for a reason. Your country stinks and we don’t want them in our country.”

This is a developing story; check back for updates.

Related Articles


Despite legal challenge, Florida college votes again to transfer land for Trump presidential library


Federal authorities plan operation in Minnesota focusing on Somali immigrants, AP source says


New ICE operation is said to target Somali migrants in Twin Cities


Costco joins companies suing for refunds if Trump’s tariffs fall


Tennessee voters make final call in House special election testing Trump’s power

Man charged in National Guard shooting pleads not guilty during court appearance from hospital bed

posted in: All news | 0

By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — A man accused of shooting two National Guard troops near the White House pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to first-degree murder and assault charges.

Rahmanullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old Afghan national who was also shot, made his initial court appearance by video from a hospital bed.

Related Articles


Cleveland Guardians pitchers Emmanuel Clase and Luis Ortiz face May trial date in gambling case


New ICE operation is said to target Somali migrants in Twin Cities


Costco joins companies suing for refunds if Trump’s tariffs fall


AI may be scoring your college essay. Welcome to the new era of admissions


Michael and Susan Dell donate $6.25 billion to encourage families to claim ‘Trump Accounts’

His attorney entered a not guilty plea on his behalf on the charges stemming from the Nov. 26 shooting that killed Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and wounded Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, 24.

Beckstrom and Wolfe were deployed with the West Virginia National Guard for Trump’s law-enforcement surge in the nation’s capital, which has flooded the city with federal agents and troops since August.

U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro’s office in Washington, D.C., charged him with murder and two counts of assault with intent to kill while armed.

Authorities were investigating a possible motive for what they described as an ambush-style attack.

Hegseth cites ‘fog of war’ in defending follow-on strike in scrutinized attack on alleged drug boat

posted in: All news | 0

WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth cited the “fog of war” in defending a follow-up strike on an alleged drug-carrying boat in the Caribbean Sea earlier this year.

During Tuesday’s cabinet meeting at the White House, Hegseth said that he did not see that there were survivors in the water when the second strike was ordered and launched in early September, saying that “the thing was on fire” and citing the “fog of war” in defending the strike. Hegseth also said he “didn’t stick around” for the remainder of the mission following the first strike, and said that the admiral in charge had “made the right call” in ordering it, which he “had complete authority to do.”

Related Articles


New ICE operation is said to target Somali migrants in Twin Cities


Ex-New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey’s comeback bid comes down to a runoff for Jersey City mayor


Tennessee voters make final call in House special election testing Trump’s power


Putin accuses Europeans of sabotaging peace efforts on Ukraine and meets US delegation


Democrat Mandela Barnes, a former US Senate candidate, enters the Wisconsin governor’s race

The Washington Post first reported that Hegseth issued a verbal order for the second strike that killed survivors on the boat. On Monday, the White House said that Navy Vice Adm. Frank “Mitch” Bradley acted “within his authority and the law” when he ordered the second strike.

Lawmakers have announced congressional reviews of the U.S. military strikes against vessels suspected of smuggling drugs, and Bradley is expected to provide a classified briefing Thursday to lawmakers overseeing the military. Asked if he supported the second strike on a boat in the Caribbean Sea in September, President Donald Trump said he “didn’t know anything” and “still haven’t gotten a lot of information because I rely on Pete,” referencing Hegseth.

‘New Year’s Rockin’ Eve’ to feature Chappell Roan, Mariah Carey, Post Malone and Maren Morris

posted in: All news | 0

By MARK KENNEDY, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — Mariah Carey, Post Malone, Chappell Roan, Demi Lovato and Maren Morris will help ring in the new year on “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve,” with additional performances by 50 Cent, Charlie Puth, OneRepublic and Pitbull.

The show on Dec. 31 will be live on ABC beginning at 8 p.m. EST, and repeat the next day on Hulu. Ryan Seacrest and Rita Ora will anchor the celebrations from New York City at Times Square, Chance the Rapper will do the same from his native Chicago, while former NFL star Rob Gronkowski and Julianne Hough will beam from Las Vegas.

The headliner for Times Square will be announced later.

The performers will also include Ciara, Goo Goo Dolls, Lil Jon, Little Big Town, Madison Beer, New Kids on the Block, Jordan Davis, The All-American Rejects and Rick Springfield.