Authorities identify 2 deputies, man they fatally shot in Duluth

posted in: All news | 0

DULUTH, Minn. — A man killed by St. Louis County sheriff’s deputies on Feb. 10 has been identified as 30-year-old Donald Felver III of Duluth.

The deputies involved have also been identified: Sgt. Joshua Berndt and Deputy Matthew Sobczak. According to authorities, the deputies returned fire after Felver shot at them from his stopped car on Grand Avenue near 79th Avenue West at about 9:45 p.m.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension announced the names in a Sunday news release. The BCA is handling the investigation of the incident.

In a Feb. 11 news conference, St. Louis County Sheriff Gordon Ramsay and Duluth Police Chief Mike Ceynowa announced their belief that Felver — whose identity had not at that time been made public — was responsible for a homicide that took place on the 400 block of Piedmont Avenue just hours earlier on Feb. 10.

In that incident, Darrius Handy, 33, of Duluth, was fatally shot while behind the wheel of a vehicle.

At the Feb. 11 news conference, Ceynowa said further investigation was needed to confirm whether Felver was in fact responsible for the homicide. However, said Ceynowa, “that is what we believe at this time.”

Both deputies involved in the confrontation that ended in Felver’s death have been placed on critical incident leave. That confrontation began when Felver was forced to a stop after driving erratically. According to the BCA, the deputies’ body cameras were activated at the time of the incident and captured portions of what occurred.

Related Articles


Duluth’s aging and lead-laden homes are poisoning children


Apostle Islands ice caves open for first time since 2015


Man killed by sheriff’s deputies is suspect in Duluth homicide


1 dead in Duluth shooting, police say


Duluth team wins mixed-doubles curling silver medal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.